Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

It is pretty simple Donna. He wanted to end the story and get rid of Jane Eliott.  There could have been many reasons for his thinking.  That one decision does not negate how successful he was at GL.

Edited by Efulton

• Members

Not to get off-topic, but Potter was very successful at GL.  He kept the show competitive with GH ratings wise at the height of the Luke and Laura’s popularity.  In addition, Potter’s GL beat GH as the Emmys twice during this time as best drama series.  He cleaned up the mess that AW was in 1983 quickly, and if the ratings rose higher and AW won some Emmys, Potter would have probably stayed at AW longer than the end of 1984.  To his credit, Potter retired and kept his word- he never worked in daytime again.

• Members

I don't really remember Taylor Halloway but I see according to the AWHP he was Kit and Rick's father and that he had an affair with his sister-in-law Miranda. Was there much of a storyline about this affair or was he just background for his children? 

• Members

I don't remember a lot of him - I mainly remember him being involved in Kit's dramas. The whole family was dull. The only one who was interesting to me was Amy - her relationship with Jerry, her bitching sessions with Cecile about Pat, etc.

• Members

I believe Cass and Felicia explicitly reminisced about Wallingford during the Carolyn shenanigans. 

I have to say that when I think back on the last few episodes I am eternally grateful that the big event wedding was Cass and Lila and not Amanda and Cameron. I happened to catch a scene the other day where Jordan Stark was trying to make Amanda the vessel for Amelie and there was a lot of dialogue about the struggle Amelie had to keep control of Amanda because even though Jordan dismissed the idea, Amelie could feel that Amanda really really loved Cameron and that strong love was blocking Amelie.   

• Members

I didn't really mind the gorilla at the end either. They could have made better choices (I still don't know why they didn't have Sam Groom back as Russ instead of a minister) but I thought it was OK. I don't think it besmirched AW.

• Members

I'm less annoyed with the gorilla than I am with how they brought back Alice Barrett-Mitchell. They should have just retconned Frankie's death instead of bringing her on as Anne. Maybe that was the plan and they didn't have time, but it would fit in with the whole Lumina nonsense. I get why they thought the gorilla would be a throwback but I don't think 1999 viewers cared enough.

• Members

I'm not good about under-or over- rated exactly. Generally I'm only articulate enough to outline times I loved, times I liked, times I hated. Also things I have problems with. 

Like Mitch Blake. He fascinates me but at the same time I find him annoying. From his introduction through his time being 100% in league with Janice Frame at her very worst & then his amazing 180 degrees about face to helping Rachel get Mac into emergency medical attention all in a foreign land. And, then, I simply do not buy any of his romances - not with anyone! 

Typically I do not care for serial "X" storyline, not rapists, not killers, not stalkers. But then, an exception to that was that I really enjoyed the Sin Stalker story which I know you didn't care for. The combination of Joanne Going's Lisa character & her visions or ESP or whatever it was with The Sin Stalker also being her shrink was complicated, very soapy & I also admired David O'Brien as an actor that I had enjoyed on THE DOCTORS. 

• Members

I'm torn because the Lumina nonsense also makes me see red and I think I would have been annoyed if that had been the crutch they used to bring Frankie back to life. Maybe if Lumina had been a hoax and Anne was a lookalike put up to the impersonation by Jordan Stark ... which could then either lead to finding the real Frankie still alive despite everything we had seen and heard, or the discovery that Anne was related to the Frame family. Although Sharlene was gone by then -- was there a Frame family to speak of? Josie I guess, representing the last vestiges of both Frame and Matthews. And of course she would be connected to Charlie.

• Members

About the 2-day finale I have gone all the way around the world on it. I began explaining why the gorilla was an homage. And defending Goutman because of things he had supposedly wanted to do & was denied. 

Now I don't defend Goutman much. Beverlee to me was inspired. It wasn't his fault she could not. And, the device with the guests wishing the new couple well on the video recorder also inspired. 

But, I am aware of its reputation as one of the worst finales in all of daytime. 

Deserved or not, ... I guess I both hate it & love it. 

• Members

I don't understand why after 35 years of stories and characters to choose from, you would pay tribute to a long ago plotline about a gorilla.

It's not as though it was up there as one of AW''s memorable moments and much loved/referenced by fans.

As for Beverlee returning, they could have asked Beverly Penberthy,Richard Bekins or a host of others to return. Even Carmen Duncan to bring us up to date on Iris.

So many possibilities not considered or rejected.