Another World

• Members
Posted (edited)

I never remember Mary having as much hostility for John as she did for Rachel or Steve, but both Mary and Jim were disappointed and frustrated when John turned to drink and left Pat in 1974.

John had turned to drink and started fighting with Pat that year because of Steve, anyway. Steve had broken the law and bribed Rachel's father to testify against her in Steve's and Rachel's divorce trial. When John found out about Steve's criminal behavior, he felt duty bound to tell the court. Pat wanted him to keep quiet to protect Alice.

In the end, I figured that Mary didn't come down too hard on John during his break up with Pat, because the whole thing was Steve's fault, and Mary wasn't Steve's biggest cheerleader anyway.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Pat was always my favorite because she came across as the most liberated woman in Bay City.

She was also the middle child, so it made sense that Mary was not involved in her life as she was with Russ and Alice.

But, even as a kid, I loved Pat's time at Brava.  I liked her sparring with Cecile.  And, I liked her relationship with Marianne.

In defense of Lemay, he may not have liked traditional maternal role models, but he established Pat as a contemporary woman.  She wasn't inhibited by her husband's failings.  She went out on her own and helped establish a brand for Mac.  She was an executive, not an assistant.  And she was upwardly mobile without being driven by the need for acquisition or acceptance, like Rachel or Cecile. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

I was questioning this because I got around to listening to the 10th-anniversary link that you all posted here last night. When the wedding was brought up (and I don't know if it was just me), Mary seemed sympathetic to John but sounded dry at the mention of Steve. I kind of figured that she didn't take to Steve at all; however, didn't John step out on Pat when Mary was alive? I know that all the stuff with Olive came afterward. I'd imagine that Mary's feelings for him would have been very different too. 

Was Jim OK with Rachel or did he tolerate her? I have always noticed that the patriarchs on a lot of soaps have a soft spot for the headstrong daughter-in-laws despite everything. 

• Members

Irna Phillips had envisioned Mary to be like Nancy..only with more shades of grey.

She had lost her importance when Liz was reintroduced and given more position with Pat, Russ, and Alice then Mary was.

• Members

Sometimes it felt like Bay City was nothing but stables, but I take your point. I believe Sally had a half-formed theory that Mac would be able to hire him for something somehow. After all, she had been made Art Director without any obvious education or training.

I scanned through the AWHP synopses for 1982 to see how that happened and they seem to go from Sally refusing to go back to college, to marrying Denny and losing money to whatever scheme he had going on, to divorcing Denny. Out of nowhere she is working with Cass and meeting Peter and being promoted to Art Director.

Note that I am all for Sally giving up nursing to go into publishing but I am still livid that Jamie left publishing to become a doctor. 

• Members

I never really understood why Jamie needed to be a doctor. I am aware it's easier to write for a doctor than for an author, but they had Felicia on the show and managed to write for her - they could have even used a writerly connection between them to shore up his relationship with Lisa (just don't mention her trying to seduce him).

• Members

I would hazard to guess that they needed a medical professional for the Dawn storyline, and it was just kismet that Jamie was proposed to return. 

However, I'd never trust a doctor who was dumb enough to get into a 'who's the daddy' plot. 

• Members

Dawn was a year away when Dr Jamie showed up. In the interim Brittany needed a doctor for her baby and Amanda needed someone to give her birth control advice. But Chris Chapin could have handled both of those things if it hadn't been necessary to replace all strays with a Love, McKinnon, or Cory-adjacent character. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

You're correct here.  Originally, Russ was considerably younger than Pat.  When AW premiered, I believe Russ was in junior high school and Pat was in college.  But when Russ returned from medical school as an adult, lots of fans assumed he was older than Pat.  He certainly seemed older than Alice at that point.  I'm not sure their exact birth order was ever mentioned in a script, after Russ was sorased, but I have read in soap history books that Russ was considered the oldest sibling.  When I was watching AW in the 1970s, I sort of assumed Russ was the middle child. No reason for this except Beverly Penberthy played Pat as so mature, I thought Pat was the oldest.  So the birth order is vague -- unless somebody can find it mentioned in a script.  

Edited by Mona Kane Croft