Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I remember Jacquie taped a scene where she was reciting a letter she'd written to Steve, and then seeing Steve's reaction to the letter. I believe they wrote her off to Paris(?). The year she was gone, I remember her name was still in the credits for a long time. Robin Strasser appeared on a local talk show in my hometown and she was inundated with questions about 'Alice' and when she would return and she indicated she would be back. It's kind of funny to think the horrible reputation that assholes Rauch and Lemay gave Courtney that she at one time, left the biz to be a wife and mother and it was only the mountain of mail begging for Alice to come back and marry Steve, that got her back and God knows what they promised her to make it easy for her, and yet later they pegged her as this power hungry star. It seems NBC/P&G was desperate to have her back at almost any cost.

I should have said the rep given to Courtney LATER by Rauch and Lemay, not at the time she returned in 1971.

• Members

Thanks. At least Jacquie got to have her share of notice on OLTL. I'm just sorry that her AW return didn't work out. I will never understand that. You look at her brief 1989 return and it was so right, she just filled such a void, and her scenes with Vicky Wyndham were touching.

• Members

I agree but I think Courtney as an actress and her character at this point was more welcoming than back in the 70's. The fans loved her and they should have kept her but looking at her earlier work, I dont think she was that great of an actress.. But there were many that were not on the show at the time. wonder why Lemay and Rauch targeted her. Lemay was just selfish and wanted to control everything

• Members

I guess Lemay struggled with actors who didn't suit his idea of acceptable performance. He said he cut short her madness story because he didn't think she had the talent. She wasn't a great actress but she did suit a certain range. He just didn't want to write for that. And I can't imagine she was worse than some of what I've seen of Susan Harney (who wasn't bad but wasn't exceptional).

• Members

She wasn't a great actress but she had undeniable charisma. I believe her '80s return would have been successful if she had received any kind of writing support. But they gave her nothing worthwhile. I'm still mystified by it all these years later.

• Members

Those 'madness' stories that Another World did with Alice and All My Children did with Erica were direct rip offs of the Leslie Brooks mental hospital storyline on Y&R in 1974. Alice had been through a lot, but I never bought a nervous breakdown for that character. In Susan's case, she was pregnant with Liza Huber in real life and they needed to write her off. And don't get me started on AMC ripping off alcoholic Kaye Chancellor with Phoebe Tyler....

• Members

Still watching 1980 episodes, which can be a bit tough, as a number of the characters I'm enjoying are going to go on to die very violent deaths. I can't imagine how fans at the time felt since AW had shifted away from having heavy death, and then by the end of Lemay's run, the body count began to pile up again.

I still can't fathom why they had three men on the show in love with Kit, two of them characters viewers barely know or have reason to care about. Why are all these men fighting over Kit while Sally has no one but friendly date Jamie? I don't know if this Sally left or if she was fired, but I like her a lot.

Blaine's breakup with Jerry Grove and underworld ties is all so melodramatic, but I do get sucked into her plight, seeing poor Jerry having no idea why Blaine is pushing him away. There were some very soapy, moving scenes where he went to gather his things, and she tenderly said goodbye to him. He asked where one of his favorite sweater was, one she'd bought him, and she said she didn't know. When he left, she put the sweater to her face, as her last memory of him.

I was going to ask about Ted Bancroft's exit story in 1979. I've read some synopses and apparently he was hit over the head, and was presumed dead for a while. How did they go from the few clips I've seen of him (smarming/dueling with Iris, flirting with Rachel) to this? What was it about?