ATWT: Elizabeth Hubbard: Why is she rarely mentioned?

• Members

I felt the opposite about this scene. Vicki had been through it all. Her DID, her sexual abuse. Her family being completely dysfunctional.

One scene that stands out in my mind that was laughable was when Stephanie went insane on B&B and was going after Brooke with a fire poker when Brooke was with Thorne in the cabin back in 1999? That was funny. :lol:

This scene in IMO features depth. The torture Vicki endured at the hands of Victor Lord.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the answer may be fairly simple. I don't think she's ever been the "face" of ATWT. I think she's integral to the history of ATWT, obviously, but for YEARS, ATWT was synonymous with Eileen Fulton. I think even Kathy Hays gets short-changed in that department.

Some names aren't synonymous with their shows either---but they have more than one role under their belt. Beverlee McKinsey comes to mind. I know Hubbard was on "The Doctors", but that was ages ago and that show doesn't have the recognition of "Another World", imo.

And in the even more obvious department...people are short-sighted. Even if they watched someone years ago and loved them, who's on screen right now is more likely to pop into their head when they answer "the best ever?" types of posts. I floved Lisa Brown back in the day, but I'd probably forget to put her on a list more often than not.

• Members

Just a little correection or verification. Hubbard only won one of her Emmys for soaps. That was for The Doctors in 1974 and she was spectacular. Her other Best Actress win was for an afterschool special.

I have always felt that Hubbard is one of the best in daytime. And I guess we do to different boards but on many of hte boards I go to she is usually mentioned up there.

As far as who is or who is not underrated - overrated - etc. It all comes down to a matter of opinion. What seems good to some isn't good to others. Also as someone else pointed out you can watch a scene knowing the history of the characters and feel for them while an outside looks in and sees something totally cheesy.

I think that is one of the reasons that often people who don't watch soaps think they are low class because they don't understand the characters. Often times in soaps especially the emotions or whatever that a performers throws into the scenes has a lot to do with the history of that character.

I know many people have looked at Kim Zimmer's famous fountain scenes and think it is some of the worst stuff ever put on TV. But for those that were faithful viewers we felt for Reva and felt that Kim hit on all the necessary pathos and emotions in that scene and we felt for her.

• Members

As mentioned by a couple others already, my problem with Elizabeth Hubbard is that she does not follow the script and just goes with the gist of the scene while ad-libbing. Sorry, no, that is not good acting, and I've never understood why she is praised for it. How can the writers plot any story for her if they don't know what she will do with it? I had the same problem with overrated Charles Keating.

• Members

I'm curious how do people know this? Or rather, how do people know that her ad-libs are actually that far off script without seeing the script yourself? I don't see a particular problem witih ad-libs as long as they don't change the intent of the scene.

• Members

I don't know that it's that far off the script -- probably the scripts these days are intentionally vague for Lucinda anyway, knowing this is what she does -- but new actors are always asked about/talking in interviews about what a challenge and honor it is to work opposite her because of her ad-libs. I think if her ad-libs were that close to scripted lines and cues, it wouldn't be so hard that they'd have to be asked about it all the time.

• Members

Well, yeah, I think that's exactly what happens. Any time there's a WTF moment in a Lucinda scene where some random comment gets made that doesn't get followed up on later, I figure it was Hubbard at work again and the other actor compensating.

• Members

Hubbard has mentioned this tendency in her interviews, or others have mentioned it when talking about it. The usual phrasing is something like this: "You never know what is going to come out of her mouth. She keeps you on your toes."

Hubbard is not the only one for whom this is often mentioned. Tony Geary, Hunter Tylo (!), and I think Hunt Block (but then I seem to think he denied it, when asked in an interview).

• Members

I do remember Martha Byrne saying in an interview somewhere that as a young teen acting against Hubbard, she had to learn very quickly to think fast on her feet, and pay attention to what LH was saying, so she could alter her own dialogue, and what a learning experience it was. (I'm paraphrasing)

• Members

Right, I've read it of Robin Strasser and Nancy Lee Grahn also, but Geary is highly regarded as one of the best in the business, so I'm not sure how Hubbard doing it makes her a lesser actor or puts her talent into question. I don't think it's uncommon at all, particularly for those who have been in the business for a while.

• Members

Awww..an Elizabeth Hubbard thread. That's nice to see. I think the woman is fabulous. She is an outstanding actress. ATWT would not be the same without her. That was proven when she was fired and quickly brought back. I feel she is underrated as an actress. She doesn't get the praise that she should get.

The essential part of ATWT to me are: Hubbard, Hays, Hastings, Fulton, Wagner, Brygmann(who is no longer on the show), Patricia Bruder and Colleen Zenk Pinter. An honorable mention has to go to Widdoes.

Glad to see a thread dedicated to the great La Walsh....Elizabeth Hubbard.

Archived