Y&R: Week of April 27, 2009

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In the youth vernacular of this board: "So much word!".

Yes, by the way, there are three Williams brothers: reporter Steve (who was engaged to Peggy Brooks...who famously left him at the altar for...JACK ABBOTT), priest Todd, and detective Paul.

I loved, loved, loved the return of Carl Williams. I didn't care about the amnesia and all that...that flash scene in church on Christmas, when he briefly remembered his past...I still get goosebumps on that. Seeing the devout Mary let him go...gave me goosebumps. That was early Kay Alden, and at that time, I thought she was going to SAVE this show. She had me on the edge of my seat.

Then how do you explain that SO many shows have such a hard time getting the "youth" part of their shows right?

• Members

I loved that story, there were so many beats. Will Christine tell Paul what she's found? What will happen to Carl and Ruth? What about Mary and her new love? I never knew why the story ended so abruptly. I heard something about viewers just couldn't accept what had happened to Carl, but that never bothered me.

The stories at that time were all wonderfully paced. This is such a problem with many TV shows, but at the time I was so impressed watching these sagas unfold (Kay/Jill and the house leading to Jill finding the real will and Kay vanishing leading to finding her granddaughter, Nikki and Josh being shot leading to Victor marrying her on her deathbed leading to Diane declaring war on Victor). The pacing was expert. The storytelling was so good in 1998, on many different levels. I should watch some of that again sometime, I have some of it on tape.

• Members

I have no idea. Bad stories, bad actorsm, characters forced upon us.

But im sorry, teenagers are not hard to write. They shouldnt be any harder than any character in the 20's 30's, even 40's aside from the basics - instead of at work they are at school, instead of dinners and bars they are at hangouts and homes. The wording can be a little tricky, ill give you that, but often i find the writers trying too hard. Just let them talk like normal people. Dont try to be overly hip.

Soaps just cant seem to do teenagers right. I dont know why, but plenty of other shows pull it off. And pull it off damn well. So it cant be that they are too hard to write. If anything i would then a teenager would eb the easiest to write for, esp since they change who they are from day to day.

• Members

OK i thought so.

I have been watching the past two weeks when i was busy so i figured she knew. I am confused as to what the plot is tho? What is Jack trying to do? Aside from ahnging on to his victor hate and refusing to ever grow up let go and move on (and yes im fully aware this goes both ways)

• Members

Exactly what you said – he's just continuing his never-ending battle with the Mustache; exactly what Victor is doing with Mary Jane.

Or maybe Colleen actually doesn't realize she's being used? :lol: :lol: Then she would be on the wave length as Summer and Fen.

She probably did.

• Members

I thought Jack was pushing Colleen to be on the Newman board because he cared about her and wanted it for her own good. :angry: if he ends up using her and she ends up being thrown under the bus i will be very angry!

And i HOPE that Victoria and Colleen DONT become enemies because i like both these characters i hope they make up :'(. I dont want them to be snarky and fight with each other.

• Members

Please don't tell me Billy will take Neil's position and get a storyline. Damn.

I wonder what Neil plans on doing now. Is he gonna become a jazz musician? There isn't even an indication of where his 'real' passion lies.

Why the heck did Phyllis call Jack, as shown in the teaser? She's in jail. Where's Michael?

And I wish Mary Jane had been acting when she was at the bar all bitter and jealous. I think she should hate Jack so much that he's dehumanized her. Emotions such as jealousy has been done on soaps. Let's see a new motivation from a woman. And let's see her be as cunning as Victor.

I cannot wait until Jack gets his just desserts.

Archived