Ending the Conspiracy of Bloom preventing former Y&R head writers Jack Smith and Kay Alden taking over AMC

• Members

on Friday Nelson Branco maked a shocking claim in his weekly Suds Report that Bloom killed the deal of former Y&R head writers Jack Smith and Kay Alden taking over AMC to me this make's no sense. why would Brian Frons allow AMC executive Julie Hanan Carruthers to fire them if it ment making AMC a success and also it would be a way to stick it to Bloom and CBS. Nelson Branco logic makes no sense and I don't belive his claims.

after all the talent stealing Frons has done to CBS and same with Bloom I don't belive for one second Brian would let Smith an Alden go becuase Carruthers said so plus Frons has the last say in all ABC soaps.

if your looking for the real reason why both Jack Smith and Kay Alden never took over AMC is because these two are from the school of Bill Bell and they have loyalties to the Bell family and both were asked to join B&B. plus im sure if they were asked to take over AMC it would have to relocate to NY where most ABC show's are taped.

don't forget folks as much as we rip Brian Frons and Barbra Bloom these two need to keep these soaps alive in order to keep thier jobs. GL is an exception because ratings dictated it was doomed no matter what nothing could of saved GL with the exception for the resuection of William J Bell lol.

any ways just my opition of Nelsons claim. what do you all think do you belive Nelson Branco claim?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nelson Branco shouldn't be taken seriously. At all.

Kay Alden's reputation, as much as she did good on Y&R, is being destroyed at B&B.

They should have kept her at AMC and prevented all the EsenstenHarmonBrown/Pratt nonsense.

• Members

Fact no. 1: She sucked while head-writing Y&R. Ask the people who worked for her if you don't believe me. She is not HW material.

Fact no. 2: Her bible for AMC was not good. Ask rain1.

Anyway, hilarious thread, hilarious first post. :lol:

• Members

No, she didn't! :P Not for the first three years or so, anyway. I don't know if she was a horrible bitch behind the scenes, but I've misplaced the writing team's members' phone numbers, so I can't confirm her attitude just now. :P

• Members

You know, I've had a little run-in with Nelson once, and I totally agree that he sets himself up for criticism with his overheated prose, imposition of himself in his columns, etc.

That said, I love his column, am addicted to him, and I believe he is the best thing to happen to soap "journalism" in a decade. Yes, he's the "Perez Hilton" of soaps in some ways. Who cares? Campy bitches are a huge part of soapdom, at least since Lisa/Eileen Fulton walked into Oakdale.

The truth of the matter is most of what he says or predicts comes to be true. What is untrue is nonetheless "scuttlebutt" from people who are a LOT closer to the industry we all love than we are. Thus, we get to hear the backstage noise as outsiders. Nelson lets us pretend to be insiders. Why is that a problem. It's a way of enjoying our genre from a "meta" perspective, in a potboiler kind of way.

Nelson, DC, and Roger Newcomb, each in very different ways, have done more to energize soap fandom than any force around. SOD/SOW are moribund and dying, possibly excepting Mala Bhatcharree who shows passion for the genre.

If you read Nelson as "dish", if you read his intent to poke sticks at beehives and to energize the fans...he succeeds better than any force out there.

My goodness...we're SOAP fans. Staid analysis and news replicated by three identified sources...I'll go to Wall Street Journal for that, and I'll learn from their analysis of our economic and political and even media affairs.

Nelson fills another niche, and he does it beautifully.

I have followed "hunterforrester" and "nbgemini" at his various internet haunts. My own conflagration with him suggests he may have a thin skin, and sometimes he becomes intemperate and engages in (sometimes unfair) battles that should not be fought.

But he fulfills the niche of a unique voice often providing information that we get from no other source.

Think about Higleygate. He showed us the smoke...and it turned out there was fire.

Some could argue "should the fans even be privy to this?" From an old school perspective, no. But since the early 90s, when we got to watch the bombs fall on Baghdad in real time, that school is dead and dying. We are real-time participants in news and current affairs.

What Nelson (and DC and Roger Newcomb, and others of that ilk) do is move soap "news" and "journalism" (I use those quotes because ... well ... soaps a pretty silly little genre to occupy oneself with...and I say that as a die hard fan) into the modern, real-time era. The "news" is unfiltered, unedited, and sometimes wrong. But it makes us "co-participants", in a way that is clearly engaging and entertaining for many of us.

Therefore, I do not understand the 'bash' mentality. IGNORE HIM if you feel he's unworthy of you. But to cite him AND bash him in the same breath seems, well, inconsistent.

• Members

I don't get the Nelson hate At-TALL.

The guy is the only soap journalist who gets the GOOD stuff and isn't afraid to report it. And like it or not, the guy does have insiders. Everybody said his pre nom emmy list was bull, well, it wasn't. yeah he is abrasive and unprofessional. Do you have any idea the lawsuit this guy could be facing over Friday's report? i am assuming he has some cold hard facts..

• Members

Yes, I know.... I just find him weird.... if someone at Daytime Confidential makes a comment about some actor, he immediately decides to say the same just to fit in. Otherwise, I like reading the news.

• Members

I like Nelson i think he's good for the soap industry it's just don't belive his latest conspiracy thats all just like his last week when he said Y&R is gonna hava a gay character but in the same paragraph called the Bells ultra republican if that's true Y&R will never have a gay character. he just stirs the pot thats all

• Members

Lets take bets as to when Julie Hack carruthers will be canned and replaced by Lisa Hesser DeLacroizdecazottelalooch. My guess is September.

If you think this guy would report something as potentially slanderous (or is it libel, i am too lazy) as that without facts, you need to rethink this.

I think is awesome that he is reporting the fact that our friends are our enemies. It explains alot.

• Members

Jack Smith was hired to consult at GH, Kay Alden was hired to consult at AMC and to a lesser extent OLTL. I highly doubt Frons wanted them as a team at AMC alone for that matter. It doesn't add up to me.

And please, you're going to tell me Julie Hanan Carruthers has that much influence over Frons?

Archived