GL: April Discussion

• Members

Wednesday was awesome. I loved the whole surprise Billy arranged where Buzz and Billy said hi to Reva from Company on the webcam, and Blake was interacting with Reva. That was a lot of fun.

It was great to see Blake.

I don't see the problem with a potential Blake and Frank pairing -- I'm sure Liz Keifer would not feel "punished" by finally having a story again, good grief.

The integration of the stories on this show is miles ahead of ATWT. Characters are not just involved in their own thing, as Wednesday showed. That's a sign of writers who know what they're doing and care about all the characters on their show. Amazing that they can still do this despite having four headwriters.

Great to see Natalia telling Olivia she is not so naive and knew exactly what she was saying when she said she loved Olivia.

Love the show so much right now!

As for stories working/not working, they are all character-based which makes them work fine for me, but I think the ones working the most are Reva's cancer (surprisingly, since it was such an afterthought before) and Otalia. Phillip *does* need to be in Ravenwood for awhile, he *is* still crazy -- he killed Grady! -- but I expect it will not be for long.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I am sure LK would love the paycheck, poor her for having to heave Frankie D's nonacting ass through his scenes. I am sorry, the man gets by as he comes off as a generally nice, but not that smart guy...really giving the audience their only reason to root for him, cause, you know, they kinda feel sorry for him. Even in his break up scenes at the wedding with Nat, Frankie D didnt give any subtext to what Frank was feeling (subtext is beyond the guy) he simply played it as written on the page, he didn't understand why Nat was doing this as he was sure they were in love...a better actor would have given the subtext of Frank's desperation to live out his fantasy of being the perfect husband to the perfect wife and having a perfect family (i.e. making up for his childhood abandonment by BOTH his parents.) We didnt get that we got a guy who could have grown up in the Brady Bunch talking to Nat. LK deserves better.

And better looking too...they should pair her with that slice of middle aged male hotness Matt Reardon...who is smarter and hotter then Frank AND he doesnt have that creeptastic family of hanger ons that Frank has. (I do not want to see Blake running around going "Rah,rah, Im a COOPER!")

• Members

I think Frank's blowup at Buzz last week where he felt that Buzz was supporting all the other children except for Frank in their relationships, and Frank thought Buzz thought Frank couldn't possibly be good enough to win a girl like Natalia, showed what Frank Dicopoulos can do given the right material. That was great acting.

About the Springfield Burns story, I thought it was okay. I didn't like how it was dropped by putting Blake into a coma -- we needed to see more of the aftermath -- and I didn't like that they never established who poisoned her, though. I didn't realize she exposed her own sleeping with Jeffrey on her blog, lol, must have forgotten that.

• Members

I did think Frank D. played up the desperation, although, as you said, not as much as he could have.

Kurt McKinney's not any better as an actor than Frank D. She also has more history with Frank which I wish the show would talk about more often, since the actors play it in all their scenes together.

• Members

Agree about McKinney, but then, since the start of Mattessa (which was his entire purpose on the show) he has never had much to play. They needed to go much more into who Matt is...we only got he was cute and nice and lurrved Van.

However, McKinney is much better (IMO) looking and better body..so if you have to have a nice guy who can't act, make him good eye candy. Plus, once again, he isn't attached to that inbred cult of Coopers. I dread seeing Frank cause I know sure enough Marina is going to stick her big ole Mardi Gra head in, and Buzz is gonna be flapping his arms soon. Once again, and I can't say this enough, at least for me, McKinney fills out a pair of jeans much better then Dicioplous!!

As for "great acting," from Frankie D....maybe it was great acting FOR Frankie D, but he sets the bar pretty low, it wasnt text book definition of great acting (lol, which I am sure is the only time those two words were attached to Frank Dicipolous!!!)

• Members

Today's episode had so many WTF moments.

I hate the Coopers for the very thing we saw today with Marina. She's willing to plan marijuana on some social worker and yet I bet she still won't hesitate to look her high and mighty Cooper nose down at anyone who makes a mistake, and what makes it worse is that she's a cop (and sometime waitress apparently).

The crazy nun, where did she come from? There was no nun when Mallet and Dinah went to adopt that kid! Is it me or did it play like Mallet knew that the people who gave them the baby were not that kid's bio parents when they got him? I don't think Dinah knew, but I'm pretty sure he did (and she should have suspected).

Roc needs to find a new damn job, he really sucks at his current one.

Pretty good Otalia today, I'm one of the people who really likes EJ's Rafe though.

Frank becomes dumber by the day, if that is possible.

• Members

I LOVED and ENJOYED watching the Bill and Lizzie scenes that were filmed in Florida. I'm so looking forward to next week's show(Orlando, FL scenes). That's what I call good location shooting. It was just great(so far).

Can't Dinah and Shayne get a f****** room? My God...

• Members

It looked good but I hate the previews with the whole family showing up. I just want to see Bill & Lizzie get to be a couple for a few days without PsychoAlan or that annoying punk brother of hers getting in the way.

No kidding!!! If they want the viewers to like and root for Dinah & Shayne, it's probably not a great idea to have them going at it in the Bosnian field where his ex-lover and the mother of his child's grave is located! :rolleyes:

And the Cooper stuff made me sick. Yeah Henry's cute and all but M&M's sense of entitlement to a child has been appalling in all of this going back to when they basically demanded that the American adoption agency give them one just because they wanted one and had had to endure the hardship of three whole months of marriage without a baby. Ugh. Just break Lurch and Pippy up already! They're both sanctimonious but together, they're unbearable.

Otalia's little date at Towers was great though.

• Members

Wow, do y'all (RoseVioletDaisy and Rakesh) get to watch GL in the early morning? Are you on the East Coast?

About Thursday's episode, I liked how suspicious and hostile the nun was towards Dinah. It made a reveal that some had predicted weeks ago, more exciting than it could have been. I liked Shayne wanting to stay with her. I liked the nun pointing to Lara's grave as the cliffhanger.

I liked Olivia and Natalia going into the church at the end. I'm not religious, but Guiding Light these days is so good at integrating a positive view of faith with its storylines, harking back to its roots even before the Bauers. I liked Otalia listening to Natalia at the beginning of the episode and then subtly showing how Natalia is not ready for lesbian affection, then Natalia responding with what she *was* ready for.

I loved seeing sweet (yet not saccharine) Rafe again, and hope he is not in the halfway house for long. He is by far my favorite character under 30, and that includes Lizzie, and again, I do not understand why he is unpopular. I love Rafe's relationship with his mother. I love how he said Frank might not be right for Natalia and he just wants her to be happy and he was all, don't get married because you think I need a daddy, lol. I loved the many hugs and "I love you, Mommy." I love how he wanted to go to the church, and we saw Father Ray. I love how Rafe had the jacket on at the farmhouse, but around him and not with his hands in the sleeves -- it's a very real thing to do, but not something you usually see on the soaps -- good choice by either the EJ Bonilla or the director.

From Tuesday's episode, I forgot to mention how it was a good touch to have Christina lose her job at the gym because of the economy. And again with the right mix of realism and optimism, GL had her hit upon the daycare idea by the end of the episode. Also from Tuesday, I was reminded how yucky I think Remy's muscles are -- he is way too muscular.

Archived