GL: April Discussion

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://rapidshare.com/files/221856963/4-15_Whole_show.wmv

Another compelling day between Olivia and Natalia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x1fbbqj5k0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1HnoX7AZVU

I love Doris being Olivia's little helper bee/mentor in all this.

I'm really schizo on Dinah/Shayne. Sometimes I really like them, others they annoy the hell out of me. I don't know, Shayne still seems awfully simple for Dinah.

Jeffrey/Reva/Edmund? Eh. -_- -_- -_-

• Members

I get what you're saying. Personally, I'm not a fan of the swings, monkey bars, play in the park stuff, leave that to Bizzie (who annoy me even more with it).

Otalia was fantastic today, absolutely fab.

I loved the Buzz and Lillian kiss and Doris is such a great character IMO!

• Members

Everyone's already gushed about the Otalia story this week -- I loved that the non-wedding happened over several days, and so many other characters were involved in it. The Reva baby stuff has already been addressed too.

So I will just focus on Rafe, and the wonderful EJ Bonilla! I could melt into his wide puppy-dog eyes every time he was on.

He had such great scenes with Emma ("I wasn't really going to be your brother sorta, but we can be friends"), Daisy (OMG Daisy, what is wrong with you, why are you being awkward with Rafe? ... such great subtle acting in the awkward-moment scene from both EJ Bonilla and Bonnie Dennison), Frank (giving Frank Gus's badge -- what a moment), and Natalia.

Rafe needs to be on more, he is the missing ingredient of the Otalia story and, I would submit, the missing ingredient for the youth appeal of the show! Hot, talented, connected to a main family (the Spauldings), I don't know why so many dislike him.

Some other things I liked this week were Alan moaning to Alex about how people around the table were focused on Phillip's aura (it was funny), the Spauldings playing video games, and Phillip and Beth talking about his getting a fresh start in life. This actually made me relate to Phillip! Never has a rich family on a soap felt so real.

• Members

I'm thisclose to wanting GL to die on CBS. 75% of the stories on this show is just PATHETIC. I can't bare to watch GL 5 days a week. I watch it whenever I feel like or I just don't watch it at all. Clearly I'm not the only one because I've notice the ratings are always horrible for Monday and Tuesday on GL. IF GL moves to a new network, 3 days a week and 30 mins should do it good.

• Members

You're so funny, Rakesh, you jump from cheerleading for GL to move to another network to wanting it to end on CBS and back again.

I'm fine with most of the stories right now. I knew this week would be less exciting after the drama of last week, but I don't have a problem with Marina's angst over losing her baby and Dinah trying to help with Child Protective Services, Shayne arranging the christening, Edmund escaping, or anything else on Monday. As for ratings, GL's ratings on Monday and Tuesday can sometimes be good. I don't remember them being consistently lower than the rest of the week. The way I remember it, Monday is sometimes the highest day.

• Members

The thing is, I have such high hopes for the show and they keep letting me down. So when I see those worthless trash on my screen, I go crazy. lol I'm giving them until June 1st to make my decision whether or not I'll continue to support this show. Why June? Since they got axed by CBS, I'm hoping the stories will improve over the coming weeks.

• Members

Rakesh: Are you judging GL's stories against themselves, or another soap that you think is consistently good? I had insomnia last night, caught Y&R, AMC and OLTL. Y&R didn't grab me at all. So slow. Yeah, Nia Peeples was good in that episode, but in that one day, it never made clear to me why the other character didn't deserve to have custody, so I was lost for the rooting value. And giving Karen monologue after monologue without letting Neil try to explain didn't help. It felt very much to me like TPTB were saying: Nia Peeples, we don't want to have to play you two more days. Buh-bye. The only other thing that caught my attention was Billy. And that was because of a few smirks that gave him an added zip that made him intriguing.

AMC: Haven't watched this show in a while because it just feels like musical couples. And did they explain what happened O.C. to Liza to make her an almost new character? Nothing against Jamie Luner, who's great as a sexpot, but to me, Marcy Walker's Liza was never a sexpot. Yes, she and Tad had an affair while he was married to Dixie. But that wasn't balls to the wall seducing. That was the build-up of story. And when Liza had Colby, didn't she fight tooth and nail to protect her from Adam? When did she become such a bad mom? It feels like they just wrote her as a young, sexier Marian, rather than Liza.

OLTL: There was a five minute conversation between Gigi and Stacey where every sentence had the word God in it. And I don't remotely buy either character as religious. And when Gigi and Rex were in the room with Shane, where was there conflict and subtext? They looked like a happy couple. But love Roxy. She brightens any day. And as for Talia drowning in a pool, what's up with the day player cop out-acting John, Marty and Bo, who seemed a little perturbed that someone died. Does John have emotions? And even if Marty didn't know or care about the cop, the murder happened right outside her door! Wouldn't that alone be enough reason to react?!

So I agree, Rakesh, this week on GL doesn't compare to last. But that was the pay-off of a year long build-up. The week after was bound to be a let down.

Just curious to see what else you ARE liking out there?

• Members

Since you brought up AMC - I've gotta ask this because I watched it a few weeks back to see some of the GL alum and WOW I couldn't believe how bad it was, maybe just a bad day, or maybe I'm just not used to the non-PGP soaps, but the scenes with RPG I kinda got the impression he was phoning it in, as a matter of fact about half the characters didn't really seem to have their heart in it at all... I haven't watched since that day, but does anyone think that show is even worth trying to watch?

as for GL itself, yeah, there's good and bad days, but I have a nasty habit of overlooking the bad ones just because I've watched for so long and am maybe a bit more forgiving now since it's been cancelled than in the past - the Otalia climax rocked, while the whole Edmundane, Shayne-less, Dinah thing almost put me to sleep...

Archived