GH: April Discussion Thread

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he's saying you're not engaging.

But, I wasn't singling out any poster. I think I've seen a few people espouse the "GH does good dialogue" position.

I'm intrigued that you say "the words spoken" do not represent "dialogue". Now I have to redefine my definition of dialogue....

Yeah...that never happens here.

• Members

I didn't mean it that way. Just that Becca and Mallory do something really fun and entertaining on their blog, with a sense of humor. I get a thrill out of reading it every day, and always find myself having a good laugh at the points they make. But I would never, ever, in a million years, hold their blog entries up to your scholarly education as an example of where GH might not have good dialogue writers. It's like pitting Chelsea Handler up against William Shakespeare to discuss writing.

• Members

What I was saying is that Mallory is criticising the implausibility of a situation (Sonny) and not dialogue. Two different things. The quality & style of sentences, the rhythms, the choice of words... That's what GH dialogue does very well.

• Members

Yeah - technically, that's a breakdown issue. Not a script-writer issue. (Although a good script writer would have called their editor to see if they could alter the beat so it would make more sense, but that's neither here nor there)

It pains me to agree with Sylph ( :P ), but yeah. He's right here.

• Members

:D:P

Am I happy about the Sonny scene? No. Was there a way to do it differently? No. Why? The point in daytime is to do something fast and do it well. Imagine if a scriptwriter went to the breakdown writer and then the editor and then we have to check with the HW... Hours, days wasted. That's why we pretend it didn't happen and move on.

Archived