Y&R: Week of March 30, 2009

• Members

Rauch finally got 4 walls in a set...it's a first for Y&R so far as I can remember. It was certainly very Y&R, it didn't looked cramped to hell like on GL...it was lush and elegant. Very Y&R.

The whole episode was perfection...Jeanne and Jess are MAGNIFICENT.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So just like that Jill and Katharine are back to hating each other and beign sworn enemies? I really wish they hadnt have gone down this route and erased all the development that has happened between them over the past several years

• Members

I didn't interpret it that way. I think there's clearly some love there now, like Katherine telling Jill that she'd still consider Jill her daughter no matter what the DNA test proved, but of course, Jill wasn't have any of that especially when she was clearly intoxicated. Jill more than provoked Katherine on Friday's US episode, and Katherine extended more than one olive branch to Jill, but there's no conflict if they're content with one another again.

Jill is clearly upset by this news, more so than Katherine really. Jill feels lost and alone, like she has for many years, and now that the DNA tests proved that they aren't related, she knows that the "bond" she developed with Katherine was fake, since it came up under fake circumstances. She was right when she told Katherine that deep down she must be happy, since Katherine never in her wildest dreams wanted Jill for a daughter.

I think these two women love each other dearly on some weird and sick level, but this reversal of their faminial ties throws everything into chaos. They might fight and argue again, but deep down, there's higher element of love and respect that was missing before. It adds a new layer to their relationship, IMO.

• Members

Good observation. Now, the Phick-Shick stuff involves Jack, Billy, Mary Jane Benson, Chloe -- AND all the people who love each of these folks. There is only one degree of separation to Ashley (who will be mad at Sharon for what she is doing to both Billy and Jack)...Victor is her former father-in-law.

In other words, when this story explodes, the whole canvas will explode with it.

So nice to enjoy one of these brief moments in time -- they happen on all soaps -- when a show just gets it all right.

I can't tell you how much I have been enjoying seeing the Chancellor set from a different perspective. That said, I imagine we'll go back to the "regular" view soon, and I'll treasure that too.

I like that they set up this altered set and then used it in three consecutive episodes. They are clearly still being clever with their resources over there.

• Members

Yes. I have enjoyed Jeanne trying to straddle "loving" and "I hate this bitch".

But what has been most enjoyable about this tale to me is that, after months of Cooper shining, this last little bit finally gave Walton the spotlight. It's nice that she could get right back into it too. One wonders, after years of such neglect, if a performer is still capable of this kind of thing. But she pulled it off without a hitch.

For me, it has shown me how much we "lost" Jill these last few years, and how glorious it is to have her back. Sadly, this is a character who must not be allowed to ever be truly happy.

Kay tried, and she only got nasty when Murphy and Nikki, etc., were attacked.

Also, I'm quite sure that when the dust settles, the undercurrent of love will also be there. Jill denies it, but her eyes (love that actress!) told a very different story.

• Members

I just had the strangest dream that instead of Mac walking into the wedding all solemnly, Adrienne Leon does LOL.Then, even stranger, everyone greets her like she's Colleen, ecstatic to see her, even though Tammin's there behind all of them.But then, the weirdest thing happens when Tammin sees Adrienne, she runs up to Adrienne, introducing her as her best friend and calls her... Mika LOL.

Mika is the co-host to Morning Joe on MSNBC. :lol:

Anyways, Jill's quivering bottom lip??!?! This woman played Friday's episode on so many damn levels. It's so good they're giving her juicy material again because I still remember everyone begging for her to even appear on screen the last couple of years. So bloody awesome.

I'm also glad this storyline is finally over.

That twenties music was so jarring. I felt like I was watching The Shining sometimes. And that wedding dress. And Chloe's childish vows. I love how he looks standing next to me?!?! How did no one crack up as she rambled on and on?

Does anyone remember how the set looked when Billy and Mac got married? Is that on youtube? I wonder if Billy was experiencing deja vu. His bewildered facial expressions made it seem so. Chloe's really borderline crazy. I really hope they don't make her homicidal because Elizabeth's fantastic. But the past few days, she has seemed O-C. Scary.

I'm in the minority again but I still feel sorry for Nick and even sorrier for Sharon. I don't know. Maybe cause I can relate to what she's going through. And none of this is new. Both of them are cheaters and Phyllis is conniving. I'm not surprised by any of this.

• Members

I remember years ago,when Patty shot Jack,they showed the 4th wall of the Abbott home.

I think it was a hand held camera effect and shot from the staircase looking into the living room.

There was a window on the wall.Because it was the one and only time we saw it,that memory has stayed with me.

Does anyone else recall that?

We also saw Adam's bedroom at the Newman ranch last week.I think that was a first.I don't think Nikki & Victor's bedroom was ever featured regularly.

On occasion the Newman set has been extended to include a dining room.I think it looked much better.

Now I'm reminded of thhe Abbott kitchen.That set has not been seen in years.

• Members

Oh yes! I remember it so distinctly. As I recall, it all started with Patty at the top of the staircase, overhearing Jack (Terry Lester!) tell Jill (Deborah Adair!!!!!!) that the only reason he married Patty was to get the presidency of Jabot. That made Patty crazy. Bang, bang, bang.

My personal recollection is that the stairway/fourth wall scene was about Patty's overhearing...but I seem to think the shooting took place in Jack's office. Am I wrong?

I like that dining room. We also had the Newman set extension of Victor's study during his "hermit" days, wherein he was locked in the room on the right (as you approach the bar). We also once saw a dungeon in the basement :) for a few months.

The Newman dining room is like the Forrester dining room (on B&B). Apparently it is always there, but the camera shoots "just in front of it".

Honestly, last I recall that was when Mamie and either Dru or Brad were having conversations by the back door. Have they shown the kitchen in the past decade? I have this vague memory of Gloria in there once.

With Adam in it too? That might be fun....

I'm not actually sure I was paying that much attention to the scenery....

• Members

In all honestly, the scenery at Y&R -- the old sets and the new ones -- is so beautiful it is hard not to watch. The sets have so much detail and attention to aesthetic appeal. So, yes, I strangely find myself looking at sets (which, if you knew me, is just not what I'd normally do). But Y&R is a visual feast.

I love how every room at Newman or Abbott or in the Newman Ranch or in Kay's house is perfectly consistent with the visual style too.

I also love the building of alcoves and entrance ways and hallways and back rooms in many sets...just little bits of trompe d'oeil that please the eye and create the impression greater depth and majesty than there probably is. I basically never want to see the Y&R set for real, so as to shatter my illusions. (Who am I kidding? I'd book the first flight...)

Archived