Y&R: Why do you hate Jill is Katherine's daughter so much?

• Members

I'm so glad they undid that mother/daughter garbage! Making Jill and Katherine related was an outrage in the first place. As DaytimeFan said, it resulted in forgetting 30 years of incredible feuds between the two. Not to mention how sick IMO things then looked. Jill gets pregnant and falls in love with her mothers husband? Jill marries her brother? Jill's son marries his cousin? When you hear Kay and Jill are mother and daughter and you look back at their ongoing battles and see why they hated each other, it makes things look like they came off of a Jerry Springer episode. "Daughter sleeps with mothers husband and gets pregnant, but doesn't know it was really her stepfather all those years ago." GROSS!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally agree with you here. I don't think they should have killed off Phillip III either. I think because of the war between his mother and Katherine, as well as his mother's distain for Nina Webster, Phillip should have just left Genoa City only to come back years later for the son he left behind. That would have given Katherine and Jill more reason to hate each other for blaming one another for Phillip leaving. Then, when he returns, Phillip IV would resent his father for abandoning him. Ryan and Phillip could have issues like Billy and Cane are having now, before Ryan was killed off. Jill and Katherine's fights would spark when they ran into one another, arguing of course how Phillip III turned out because Kay blaming Jill for being a bad mother and Jill blaming Kay for killing Phillip's father. There would be also be things that have affected Phillip IV because he really doesn't know his real father and his grandmother hates his mother, etc. Having kept Phillip III could have lead to some interesting things.

• Members

I remember when they first started hinting at something with Jill/Kay, and Jack Smith was teasing the story.

What I THOUGHT was going to happen is that it would be revealed that Jill was Mr. Reynold's illegitimate daughter. (i.e., the product of Kay's first husband). I loved that angle, because it would DEEPEN the hatred. Not only did Jill steal/sleep with three of Kay's husbands (Phillip, Derek, Rex), but she would ALSO be the product of the first husband's cheating.

When it turned out she was Kay's daughter, I thought two things: First: Predictable. (I mean, honestly, what is the most OBVIOUS way you can 'strengthen the connection' between Jill-Kay). Second: I hope this is done well.

Instead, do you remember what was done? First, there was the undoing of a major couple (albeit poorly acted at the time), Mac and Billy. Second, there was Kay's stroke (funny that nobody MENTIONS that when Kay is having memory loss), and Jill needing to feed her. Yech. Third there was that AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL Arthur Hendricks/Scotty Baldwin arc. Forgettable. Boring. Somewhere in there, Kay also suddenly returned to the bottle and Jill staged and intervention and Esther became an alcohol counselor. WTF?

Then, there were the Latham years, where the gals got used EVEN LESS...and we saw them sipping tea together. Yawn.

So, it was not the Jill-Kay thing per se that bothered me, although I did not think it was good storytelling. Instead, it was all the horrible, boring, wasted fallout from that tale that caused me to wish it undone. The crystallizing moment for me was the appearance of Arthur Hendricks, whom I hated from end to end.

• Members

Oh MarkH if ONLY they'd done what you thought they were going to do! Jill as Gary Reynolds' illegitimate daughter would have been soooooooooo much better than being related to Kay.

The only snag with it is that it would still invalidate Billy and Mac since Jill and Brock would be half siblings. Still, your idea would have been much better to execute and would have intensified the hatred.

I must say that I loved when Charlotte revealed the truth to Katherine and she had her stroke and Kay's Intervention...it was brilliantly acted and was definitely hauntingly done. I can't fault Jack Smith for those particular episodes...they were great.

But so much word about Arthur Hendricks and Scotty Baldwin...that was ridiculous.

Let's not even get into that hack bitch from the depths of hell LML's "Kay and Jill: The Ladies Who Lunch" garbage...she gave Jess and Jeanne maybe 5 episodes where they actually got to do something for the whole year. Remember that TERRIBLE scene where Jill got locked in the sauna, Amber rescues her and Jill chokes out the line "Oh! You saved my life!"...at the very end of the episode...so that there was absolutely no cliffhanger...on a Friday...Dreadful.

• Members

Because the storyline is simply insane. I've been watching Y&R since 1982 (On and off, more off in the late 90's -early 00's). When i learned that they had the storyline '' Kay is Jill mother'' i could not believe it, how stupid is that!. They ruined the show's history. We all loved the feud between Jill and Kay, the history between these two women, it was at the core of the show, we grew up watching them, they tried to change all of that (more than 20 years of history) with a stupid storyline that most fans do not care to see.

• Members

Personally I think it's stupid to undo what's already have been done. all they had to do is write for Jill & Katherine as family. In a couple more years these two woman will be complaining about the lack of airtime. Then some other writer going to put them back as family.

But the stupid part is they undo them but they still live in the same house but instead of Jill calling Katherine mom. Now there will just be hatred there.

Can somebody move out the Mansion? PLEASE!

• Members

I don't think it is a spoiler to say that Scott Hamner indicates, in the last SOD, that the next phase is going to be more complex. The ladies are acrimonious, they are unrelated, but now they have a fondness between them too. I think the relationship will be more layered...the hate will be balanced with residual love or at least affection.

If so, this is fine with me.

Archived