Y&R: Why do you hate Jill is Katherine's daughter so much?

• Members

At their ages, characters like Katherine and Jill are lucky to still be on and in front-burner storylines. I don't think any writing regime will ever add a new dynamic to their relationship. One can argue that being mother and daughter was a new dynamic, but it certainly wasn't a successful dynamic.

At this point, I don't want to see anything "innovative" being applied to Katherine and Jill. Sometimes going back to basics is all that's needed. Y&R was never the most "innovative" of soaps anyway. It always enjoyed being a soap, even if it sometimes came off as mundane. It thrived on keeping things basic.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

However, I do think the bond that Katherine and Jill have developed as mother and daughter has the potential to add a new dynamic to their relation to one another now that they're not related. I mean, there's obviously a lot more emotions involved now. These women connected, like they never thought they would. Now, that bond that they thought was real and biological, is gone.

• Members

I didn't really care for the twist. I just don't see why they couldn't still hate each other even though they were related. I've known quite a few mothers/daughters who shared a very complicated relationship. The line between love and hate was very fine. It all goes back to very primitive feelings, instincts. I love my mother, but there are times she drives me nuts and as crazy as it may sound I would strangle her! (which, as you can imagine, caused so many problems in my adult life! :D) Look at The Sopranos. Tony's relationship with that crone of his mother was the catalyst of 5 freaking seasons. I hate it when people say 'Oh they're not related... finally they can hate each other again!'. Or: 'Now that Cane is not her grandson, Katherine can kick his ass!'. Uh? She's loved these people until yesterday. If you love a person, you should love them no matter what their DNA is. The same goes for hatred IMHO.

Their blood tie should have made them even fiercer. Thing is - the writers weren't creative enough. They never draw on RL, they rarely look around to see how the world really turns. and how complicated relationships might be. They had Jill call Katherine mommy overnight! I mean, how ridicoulus was that?

I also agree that their feud had gotten really old and silly. It all started because Jill was a young and beautiful woman, while Katherine was ageing and spiralling out of control. Once Jill grew older, the feud was to take a new direction, but it all faded somehow. Don't get me wrong, I'll get a kick out of watching them spar again. I just don't really don't see the need to resort to such lenghts for them to go back at it.

• Members

lolllllllllllllllllllllll

I'm not watching Y&R much anymore but god that Moila was one of a kind. Her views were like she was Fron's daughter. She probably wants Darcy Rose Burns to come on as Jill's real mother.

The Katherine not being Jill's mother is a smart, smart move. But god, I just wouldn't want it to be long and drawn out

• Members

They ran out of ideas for their feud, and then they ran out of ideas for Jill. She had nothing to do on the show until they put her in the house with Kay, and then all her stories were about being mean to Kay and Mackenzie. Now we're moving back towards stories about Jill being mean to Kay and Billy.

The main reason I would want the twist undone is if that meant Jill could have stories beyond spitting venom at other people. Jess Walton can do more. As good as she is at playing a #%#@, the character loses steam when she's only this one dimension.

Archived