Martha Byrne joins B&B

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

His acting career wasn't long lived from what imdb shows. Three soap roles, some episodic TV guest star roles and a few movies. And that voodoo story on SEARCH was one of the weirdest I can ever remember. Maybe that's why he went behind the camera.

Reading the full interview with TV Guide CA has built up that hope in my case. I had read that Martha and many other ATWT actors were fans of B&B and used to watch it at the studio often, but reading about how she's paid attention to the voices of the characters over the years is a big plus. That's where her big contribution to B&B will be. As a scriptwriter, it will be Brad Bell, with some input from Kay Alden and Michael Minnis, who decides where B&B is going and creates the outlines that Martha will turn into a script. If she can successfully capture the voices of the characters she's watched for years, I think she'll stand out among the staff of six other script writers to the point where she'll stay on. And maybe some of her dialog might even inspire Brad and the co-HWs. which won't be a bad thing.

• Members

Even though Brad's been driving the B&B writing bus since 1993, you can see subtle shifts in the stories based on who he's had with him. Brad with Jack Smith as associate head writer/co-head writer didn't feel exactly the same as Brad with Smith and/or Meg Bennett as consultants, for instance. For about the past year and a half, we've had the combo of Brad with Minnis/Alden as AHWs/co-HWs and Jerry Birn consulting, and it was during that period that the shift away from the fashion side of the show started. Since Brad's the one constant in the equation, one would guess that those differences came from those working at his side.

• Members

Well I'm at least optimistic.

Lots of people sang the praises of Kay Alden when she came on board. I personally haven't been that impressed if she has been influecing what has gone on for the past year. She may be fine with other stuff, but just may not mesh with B&B. So we'll try again with MB and see what she can bring.

A little OT, I think it's interesting to hear that people from ATWT like B&B so much. I know it's the same network, but it just seems kind of random I guess. I know B&B got LK from them, but it sounds like Martha was watching way before Lesli came over. I assume if they like B&B then they like Y&R as well.

• Members

I don't see how Martha is going to contribute anything creatively to this show. All she's doing is writing scripts, meaning all she'll do is write dialogue for the characters. She has no say in storylines or execution of the storylines.

Alden and Minnis, on the other hand, are Brad's Co-Head Writers, meaning they do have some say in the storylines and their direction.

Archived