Y&R: Anyone else jumpin' on the Phick Bus?

• Members

Maybe because more people are tuning in via SOAPnet, CBS.com, AOL.com, CBS's YouTube Channel, illegal Personal/Private YouTube accounts, or those stupid character edits Bell Dramatic/Sony are too lazy to force YouTube to rip down. Whether people realize it, those character edits hurt the shows more than help them. If you're watching the show for free with no commercials or if you're watching your favorite character edits, why bother watching the whole show?

Or maybe people aren't watching anymore. Maybe sheilaforever and everyone else's theories hold water: fairweather ABC/NBC soap fans sampled the new, faster Y&R while the audience that preferred the slower stories and the good ole Y&R tuned out. When Bell took over, those ABC/NBC fans, used to faster paced stories left. And this is what we are left with.

But I will say this: I would much rather Y&R go down in flames with artistic dignity instead of the show being a shell of its former self.

Why was my "allegedly" considered poster bashing or trolling? It's not like I KNOW when you started watching Y&R. I didn't hold your hand the entire 35 years you watched. So, it is alleged.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is ridiculous how fan bases overstate their importance, influence and numbers. For the thrillionth time, the ratings have absolutely NOTHING to do with what characters or couples are featured or the storylines on any given day. The soap genre is dying because the audience is disappearing. People don't give a flying flip if Phyllis and Nick or Carly and Jack are happy or not. They have better things to do than watch soaps in the middle of the day. They go to work or watch Law & Order repeats which are far more interesting.

• Members

then it is the die hard fans, the fans that have been watching since day one and the fanbases that are watching the shows...and making their voices heard....MAB has stated that she enjoys getting feedback from the fans of the show, that is why they have people that scan the MB's....to see what the fans are saying....

you can be a fan of a soap opera without watching during the day...sorry but I have been in the work field and OUT OF THE HOUSE since 1975...but that does not mean I don't watch the show...and since I have NEVER been a Nielson viewer...my OPINION only counts when I let TPTB know how I feel...

• Members

Look, I know what brought Bradley Cole back to GL as Jeffrey O'Neill after his original character, Prince Richard Winslow, had been killed off and his heart donated to Rick Bauer; and it wasn't the fans' mourning the loss of a(nother) talented actor. It was a group of BC's most...ardent fans who sent then-EP John Conboy bouquets of flowers. Flowers, people! And because of those flowers, BC was brought back, and Maureen Garrett and Liz Keifer (Holly and Blake, respectively), whose characters had more ties to the canvas, and who were arguably more adored and respected by the general GL audience, were put on recurring/off-contract players. (FYI: Keifer has been seen from time-to-time on the show, while Garrett has effectively left.) So don't tell me fanbases are an altogether positive force in daytime. If fanbases (and not fans, there is a difference, IMO) are what's keeping this genre alive...God, no wonder the rest of us are leaving these shows in droves!

• Members

As DeeeDee would say, "No, you don't."

MAB's Y&R isn't as wonderful as Bill Bell's, but it's much, much better than LML's. She respects character and history more than LML ever did; and she isn't writing "events" like the Clear Springs disaster, but simple, honest-to-goodness stories. People actually care again about who's doing what on this show and why. If that makes her a slave to the past, then so be it.

• Members

so why did MAB write Sharon to say she had never been to Paris before, when she went in 2005 with Noah???

or why did they write Victor getting Sabrina pregnant when we all knew he had a snip job done years before...it was the outcry of Y & R fans that wrote in that made them come up with stupid line that Katherine had at the benefit "Victor told me he had his vasecotomy reversed ...." why in the HELL would Victor tell Katherine that!!!

there are more instances of bad writing screwing with the history of the show....that is why it is consider HACK writing...the current Head Writer and her crew DO NOT KNOW their characters history and evidently DO NOT know how to research it!!!!

it is the sponsers that pay for the show....without them there is NO SHOW...unless the fans are going to foot the bill

• Members

YOU are the one brought up the ratings to support the fallacious argument that fan bases are responsible for higher ratings. As for MAB getting the obsessive agenda driven feedback from fan bases that is fine, just as long as she doesn't let it influence the story on the screen.

• Members

Okay. I'll go one better.

How come LML wrote Brad as a former Navy SEAL on the run from Nazis who were out to kill his mother, an art collector, after we saw Brad actually meet his mother, who was far from being an art collector, at a diner back in the mid-'80's?

Nobody's perfect, marla.

• Members

did I ever say LML was perfect???? no writer is perfect....even Bill Bell...Jack Abbott served in Vietnam....excuse me...now that was the biggest blunder in Y & R history...I can believe Brad being a Navy Seal alot more then Jack serving in Vietnam!!!!

no I brought up the loss of viewers as backing to my statement that if MAB was the second coming of Bill Bell the show would be GAINING viewers and NOT LOSING viewers by the half millions!!!!!

• Members

Are we really doing tit for tat?

The Paris thing is excusable...maybe Sharon went to Paris, Texas, maybe she went to a city outside of Paris, maybe she lied about where she went. Does it really matter? We got an awesome location shoot and great story out of it. Who gives a damn?

And the scriptwriter who wrote that "quietly reversed" stuff(and Racina could have also done his OWN research in regards to characters and their history) has long been gone.

And is this really the BEST you can come up with in regards to Bell's "lack of knowledge and respecting history?" Because this is totally straw grasping.

Let's not even get started on Reliqueery, Phyllis the pearl clutching housewife, Victor and Jack as friends, Cane(10 years younger) is really Phillip, Pheila(why the hell would Sheila want to look like Phyllis?), etc. I'll take a staff of writers who hits more than misses anyday over a band of cocky, arrogant, Nordstrom's "Employee of the Month" hacks who makes up character histories to add depth instead of doing the legwork via research and archived episodes. And even THEN, that doesn't make you qualified to write Y&R.

Archived