2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She joined in 2004, so how much could Bell affect her?

Anyway, I'm all for most of the team getting fired and replaced by someone that knows what they are doing.

If there are any good writers left on that soap, they're all being overshadowed by the suckage that is the headwriting team.

• Members

The thing about Y&R's writing staff is that it makes very little sense.

They have too many people with too many contrasting styles that don't work cohesively to make the show more interesting or good. In fact it's jarring. The writers on GH might be different and have their own individual strong points, but as a team, they work well together and the day to day writing is often stellar.

Y&R? Well, it's a mess, and my initial post was about if a new HW came in there, I want that person to create his/her own team that works cohesively as a unit, but with writers who have their own strengths. Not only does Y&R have too many writers on staff right now, but they work horribly together as one unit.

• Administrator

Oh gee, I'm so bummed now....my taste in dialogue is being questioned by RSinclair, who knows everything about great dialogue. What will I do!

I could care less about natural dialogue if the scene sucks. I don't watch GH and go "Wow! The dialogue in this scene is so natural!"

How do you know that? How does one know a team works well together or doesn't, unless you're actually talking to the writers themselves?

• Members

Did I say I talked to them personally? :huh:

I was referring to the results I see on screen everyday in the day to day writing. Y&R's day to day writing is sh!t. It doesn't blend well as a body of work, week to week. Their million man writing team is partly to blame for that, but the fact all these people with contrasting styles have their hand in the pot from day to day shows, and that's why even though all these stories suck, the general episodes themselves vary in degrees of suckage drastically from day to day.

You can have contrasting styles, as long as it blends together solidly as one body of work. I'm not getting that from Y&R. Sad to say, I see better blending on OLTL, GH, B&B, and ATWT in the day to day writing than I ever do on Y&R.

• Members

Sure. Because, clearly, that was my sole purpose. :rolleyes:

Exactly. I'll leave this battle in your hands. The above comment epitomizes why I didn't even want to get involved in the first place. Yet, considering I view giving Beall praise as being akin to giving Denise "Ouch! This miscarriage hurts!" Vasi applause at the end of performing a "dramatic scene," I had to speak up.

• Administrator

It was fine from Sept 08 to about mid March 09. I didn't have any problems with the day-to-day writing back then. I think the major problems right now is the pacing and it' not giving the writers a chance to breathe.

Well, I don't have any personal beefs with any writers like you have with Amanda (my speculation :)). And that was one episode. If someone else was credited with that April 7th script, I would've praised them too.

• Members

I know the pacing is bad, but I don't think it can be the cause of everything. Like why all the confrontation, conversation, and interaction scenes between characters have been so horrible over the past couple of months. Good dialogue and good scenes can be good, regardless of pacing. I think the pacing hurts the overall stories more than it does the individual scenes or dialogue itself. It has an impact on everything, yes, but even before everything started moving at a lightning fast pace, I've seen some horrible things in the day to day writing.

And, of course, a writing team this big with all these people that are do different and that I don't think blend together very well goes back to the HW's of this show. It's their fault for that.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on that.

Oh, and doesn't Sylph hate Esser and Alden because of personal reasons? :unsure:

Archived