2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

I think. People would be puzzled: why would someone sell a part of a successful business? I have actually never understood why Brad Bell never ventured into primetime, I think he even has a production company for primetime TV. Or I might have confused it with something. LOL!

:lol: Seriously, what's going on in there?! :blink: The woman just keeps popping in and out of those credits, it's craziness!!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This might be old news but Michael Malone has an interview in Soap Opera Weekly this week. To briefly summarize: He's a professor at Duke in theater studies, teaching two courses, The American Musical and America Dreams, American Movies. He won't say that he wouldn't write for a soap ever again but he doesn't have any plans to. He keeps in touch with some of the writers and actors on OLTL but doesn't watch the show. He tries to make it a point to stay away from what's happening on the show. [He had no idea about the Todd/Marty story last year and had to be filled in, lol.] He's writing novels as well and just released The Four Corners of the Sky this summer.

• Members

Did I miss the memo that Mrs. David Shaughnessy/Anne M. Schoettle is joing Y&R's scriptwriting team?

In what capacity anyway? Hopefully Lisa Connor or Tom Casiello are gettig the boot - I find weaknesses in overall storylines way more apparent in episodes written by them way more apparent than those by others.

• Members

Agreed, especially with Connor.

Casiello's scriptwriting for those two episodes or so he did was horrendous. He had characters speaking out of their normal talk. I mean Katherine saying, "Cut the crap?" :rolleyes: Also, in his breakdown episodes, it's like he tries too hard and the execution is usually very flat. Nice guy, but I don't know if he "gets" Y&R, and he did admit to not getting the show when he wrote for it briefly under Latham.

None of Lisa Connor's work on Y&R has impressed me since she joined. Her episodes are either extremely boring or extremely illogical. It's a consistent trend with her episodes, no one can tell me it's just the weak overall storytelling from the crappy Head Writers.

In addition to bad overall storylines, Y&R's day to day writing and dialogue is also very weak. It's not a good combination - the worst of both worlds really.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Members

I never understood the appeal with Casiello. What was the big deal with him?..lol Can anybody tell me?? So Kay said ..Cut the crap.....LOL...doesnt sound like something Katherine would say. Whether he is a nice guy or not has nothing to do with his lousy writing....lol

I kind of like Connor on ATWT.

Hahaha..so Casiello wrote that??..LMAO!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

• Members

It's because he started a blog after he was fired, did an ITZ interview and posted on this board a couple times. That's all. Next thing you know, he was being hailed as the next big thing and some of us cynically dubbed him the savior of daytime due to all the praise he was getting... for simply being an unemployed writer with an opinion.

• Administrator

It made no sense to single Tom out for that script. He's never praised any other staff writer and then all of sudden he praises Tom just for a normal script? That pissed me off because it did more harm than good. And then later he edited his column and added other writers of the staff too to make it look like he was praising the whole team. Whatever, Branco.

Archived