AMC: Friday, December 12

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA. Angie was definitely on fire. I love her and David together, he manages to bring out another side of her, her fiery, feisty side. I think they have really good chemistry together, and IMO, there is definitely sparks and they are in some way "hot" together. At the very least as adversaries. I think that they have really good chemistry as adversaries and I want to see where the writers take their characters. Maybe they will stay adversaries, or develop a type of grudging respect for each other. I am loving them together.

I thought that the show overall was a pretty good show.

I thought the scene with Amanda, JR and Jake at confusion when JR ended up punching Jake was entertaining. IMO, Jake should not have said the stuff that he did about Amanda.

Taylor really does seem like she is not that interested in Jake anymore. I wonder how long her and Brot will try to work things, out and what will ultimately make them decide that they can't work as a couple. I do think that she is going to end up with Jake, I just wonder what is going to make her stop trying to make things work with Brot, since they both genuinely love each other.

I'm not sure what Aidan is up to. I don't really know why he is playing mind games with Annie.

I thought that Reese's dad seemed like a decent guy and like he genuinely was trying to reach out to his daughter. I believe him when he said he was trying to protect her from prejudice. I get the feeling that he has come to terms with her being gay or is pretty close to doing so, but it's her mother that still has a pretty big problem with it.

I wasn't happy with Zach's behavior today. I understand that he's grieving and that the nurse made a big mistake, but he was definitely going overboard with his reaction. He was condescending, and really threatening. He's reacted this way in the past, with people, just not as "loud" as he was today in some of those instances., but sometimes he acts like he's superior to people and like he has the power(and the right) to greatly affect their lives in some way, if they cross him. Like when he threatened to make Josh and other people disappear in the past.

It's one thing if he didn't want the nurse around Kendall anymore, it's another thing, to try and have her license revoked and make sure that she is never a nurse anywhere else. IMO, that was too much.

• Members

Great show for the most part. The only scenes I didn't care for were the ones featuring Annie and Aidan. I think MCE is doing an admirable job, however I think her portrayal of a distraught lunatic pales in comparison to what Kate Collins did with "Janet from another planet." I just don't feel sympathetic towards Annie at all even though I'd take her over Rylee any day.

• Administrator

Man, I hate Zach....yelling and threatening and demanding people to be fired. Who does this guy think he is. I wish someone would just do this to him:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

As for the rest of the show, Amanda :wub:, Randi :wub: and it was good to see McKenzie Westmore again. I'm looking forward to see her in a different role.

• Members

I also loved the David/Angie scenes. They're great as adversaries and I hope that's all they ever are!

David telling Zach that he understands what he's going through was great, too, and I'm glad Zach asked about a heart transplant so it was at least addressed.

I get that the writers are trying to build sympathy for Zach, but I thought the nurse calling him was contrived. Zach was so out of line threatening to have the nurse's license revoked and imo he's giving Ryan a run for his money as the RageMonkey.

Aidan just gets creepier all the time and for me it's now working at all. Why can't they just kill him off? Poor Annie has enough on her plate without Aidan playing mind games with her.

I loved Amanda's fantasy about having sex with Jake. RPG was hot in those scenes!

I thought JR was justified in hitting Jake for his comments about Amanda. I felt really bad for her when Jake completely dissed her.

I agree with xtr that Reese's dad seemed like a decent but confused parent trying to meet his daughter halfway. I also think that he doesn't have a problem with her sexuality but her mother does. It concerns me how Reese tried to keep her dad's visit a secret from Bianca. Imo, it seems like Reese doesn't tell Bianca anything and it makes me wonder why Bianca stays with her.

• Members

I don't think Reese was trying to keep the fact that her father had come to see her from Bianca, I think she was just pissed that Bianca called her parents in the first place and invited them to Gabby's christening knowing how they felt about Reese being with a woman. Bianca kinda overstepped and if I was Reese I would have been pissed too.

• Members

This is one of my problems with Bianca/Reese. For two women who we are supposed to see as a family unit and who purposely decided to have a child, they're acting like they barely know each other. They're still going through the "learning to be a couple" stuff. The baby story was a bad idea regardless of the donor angle.

JMHO

• Members

I totally agree, marceline. IMO it was such a huge mistake to have the Breese relationship develop off screen. I know Pratt is somewhat hamstrung by the fact that TB and ER are only gonna be here for a short while, so he had to accelerate things to accomodate that, but I just feel like I was told this was the greatest relationship in the history of relationships and now it's so obvious that it isn't. As you said, they barely know each other. Kinda takes some of their rootability away. Having said that, I did enjoy FR and TB's scenes as father/daughter. They acted well off each other.

I guess I'll be one of the few to defend Zach....but I totally understood his reaction. That nurse made a huge mistake, and in a situation like that, I woulda choked a bitch and asked questions later. I know she didn't mean to cause any emotional harm, but geesh---do your job and double check these things before calling the family.

The Amanda/Jake fantasy scene was hot! Loved it.

• Members

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think that's the whole point. That's where the whole conflict -- which drama is based on -- comes in. Do they really know each other? Are they moving too fast? Will they break under the pressure? Will they continue to push through their conflict and stay together?

As for the parent thing, Bianca did overstep with inviting them without at least speaking to Reese about it. Regardless of the fact that Reese didn't tell her the truth about her relationship with her parents, Bianca should've let Reese in on what she had wanted to do.

And just curious -- why is it that whenever a character speaks lovingly about a character they're in love with, people get all stuffy about "they're telling us that this is the greatest relationship in history!" I understand the whole Kendall pimping Rylee crap (that was absolutely horrid), or Jonathan always pimping Ryannie, but what was Bianca supposed to say? "That Reese chick...? Yeah, that chick's alright, I guess," and then leave it at that?

There's more than one way to skin a cat rather than the predictable "They meet, they hate each other, they kinda like each other, then they're friends, oops, they're in love!" pattern that seems to happen every single time (Frankie and Randi, Jake and Taylor have already done that. Do we need another story like that?). There are many different facets to relationship drama. Not just courtship. There's the "crap, we're deep in the middle of this and it's not working out the way we planned -- what now?" facet and it's just as interesting to see how a couple deals with that as well.

• Members

R Sinclair thank you for post better expressed than I could.

That is exactly where Reese and Bianca are and had they not ended up in PV under these extraordinary circumstances the couple would have still been in their Parisian Honeymoonland. Would Bianca fall headlong into a relationship with a woman she loved and who was in the same place in terms of wanting a committed relationship? Hell yes, she's been falling in love over and over since she came out. Usually to bad ends. But a throughline for Bianca has been wanting romantic love and a committed relationship, and later in a family form with Miranda. So if someone like Reese came along, shared the feeling and wanted a family. Like white on rice, Bianca's gonna have some of dat and worry about working through the logistics of relationships later. Sure the baby's angle is too much but that's the price you pay on soaps, imo.

Bianca and Reese know they are in love and are committed in their minds (imo) and now they've been swept up in a PV storm of natural and relationship trials and pressures. Can their love withstand the onslaught? What's not to like from a soapy perspective? They have to learn how to communicate and so far their stumbling. But they are also not so far packing their bags or going out for Carey-style comforting.

Pratt said directly in the soap mags that we had watched the beginnings of Bianca's relationships, the falling in love period several times on AMC ultimately all those went nowhere. He said he wanted to show us Bianca in a different stage of a relationship and that's what we're getting. The conflict for the couple, is the newness of their relationship in terms of shared history. Is the love enough?

I understand why it's hard to get used to a couple when you don't get to see the initial part of a relationship bloom. I'd love to have seen it myself. But I also like the aspects of the couple's dynamics AMC is giving me now.

PS-Angela and David at the hospital are just about the most terrific thing on the show. Bobbie Eakes rocks and rocks. I miss Erica and Adam.

• Members

Hey, I LOVE Bianca/Reese as a couple. I only wish soaps weren't completely dead so maybe there would be some hope of them getting a spinoff. It's just their relationship feels superficial to me. This is the same problem I've had with Jesse/Rebecca+Natalia (although DW is starting to sell that a smidge better.) There's too much WTF-ery. And maybe part of my problem is that I know I'm not going to get any payoff.

This is my overall problem with Pratt's AMC so far I feel like I'm not only suspending disbelief but common sense and short term memory. I know he had to do a fast reset and I'm glad because there's some good stuff there. And I can tell from his interviews that he likes to keep things fast paced. No complaints from me there either but the whole show just feels so shallow to me. Is it possible to keep the pace quick without sacrificing depth? Maybe not.

• Members

I do understand what you're saying. I do believe that is a danger for Pratt's style of writing, giving up depth I mean. I also see that he offers some depth along the way that McT never did (a lot of B&E I missed, alot just flew out of my brain). I actually get what your feeling with Jesse, Rebecca and Natalia. I think for that story it is even harder because we have the conflict of Jesse's supposedly overarching love for Angela, but he in fact stayed with Rebecca, raised a child with her and has all the history with her. So Jesse has two women, two different loves for them and the WTF-ery story logistics of it all, as you mentioned, is a bit much. At the same time, the dyanmics it's created for Angela have been phenomenal, imo. The dynamics for Jesse haven't been explored as it should though.

I think Reese and Bianca have been a bit easier for me because that offscreen creation and history is not in direct romantic conflict with another romantic relationship (plus my bias as a fan of Bianca and Reese). The WTF-ery comes in the form of behind-the-back-baby creation on Sister Kendall (I am one that believed it's not outside the realm of capability of Bianca or Zach, at least in soap terms). Their soap opera whackery doesn't come into conflict with their relationship directly, so it's not affecting my feelings about the couple itself.

Your general point and observation is a good one, I think.

Archived