How about doing the daytime emmys on the View?

• Members

I had an idea that would save money to produce the daytime emmys. I think move them back to the daytime and make it more casual. They could preempt AMC/OLTL and use it that from a live from the set of the View, this is the daytime emmys. The studio might be a big small but they could anything possible to get people to come in there. This is just an idea to maybe save costs to produce a show.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would never want to watch the Emmy's on the View....part of the fun of the show is seeing everyone dressed up and interacting- it's like a merged soap world. I haven't cared who won for such a long time, it would be a bigger slap to see one network blatantly rub their popularity contest in my face- as if they don't already.

They should opt for going with PBS, and airing more than the usual load. Put it on documentary style and talk about the current state of the industry- although I don't imagine any of tiic wanting to see their associates on a documentary about "doomsday in soaps". Going to other cable networks that have opted not to put too much into their morning lineup just doesn't seem logical.

This should be the responsibility of SOAPNET, seeing that they were introduced as being committed to Soap fans. If they don't air, no one should.

• Members

This is how it used to be.

The Emmys, as I recall, in the 1970s was a televised afternoon luncheon hosted by Bob Barker. As I recall, it was a non-talk-show special that pre-empted ABC shows in the afternoon for an hour or two.

For the predecessor to the Soap Opera Digest awards (Soapys) I recall presentations on Merv Griffin and on Dinah Shore.

Am I making this all up?

It also used to be that soap stars helped boost talk show and game show ratings. I recall that Phil Donahue would have soap casts on during Sweeps.

I guess all of this is past.

• Members

Mark H,

You are not dreaming. The Emmys and the Soapy Awards used to be presented on shows like The Mike Douglas Show which was very soap friendly in the 70's. There used to be a video clip from the very first Emmy's presentation where it was just very casual with Barbara Walters as the host. It was just like a garden lunch and very talk show like.

As to the Awards on Oprah or The View - both shows are dead to me and if the Emmys went there they would be dead to me too.

I would just wait and read who won on the Internet because neither show will ever get my patronage again.

Archived