Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/19/trump-colorado-presidential-ballot-disqualified-14th-amendment

The 4-3 decision by the Colorado supreme court ...

“A majority of the court holds that Trump is disqualified from holding the office of president under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment,” the court, whose justices were all appointed by Democratic governors, wrote in its ruling.

The ruling applies only to the state’s 5 March Republican primary, but its conclusion would likely also affect Trump’s status for the 5 November general election. Nonpartisan US election forecasters view Colorado as safely Democratic, meaning that Joe Biden will likely carry the state regardless of Trump’s fate.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

These people really are bat [!@#$%^&*] crazy. I'm glad Kate Cox got the care she needs, but Texas showed us how extreme they are. What a bunch of religious fruitcakes.  Now we have the woman in Ohio charged for having a miscarriage. I guess the cruelty is still the point.

Is immigration a topic that can be addressed rationally in Europe or is it polarized like it is here in the US? Here it seems to be a zero sum argument, which is one of these reasons we seem unable to make the immigration system work better. 

• Members

People are rushing to sift through the tea leaves as to what SCOTUS will do about this. My suspicion: SCOTUS will do nothing and decline to take on the case. This allows the part of the conservative branch of the Court that deludes themselves into thinking they're 'principled' and turns their nose up at 45 to potentially rid themselves of Trump without lifting a finger.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I can't really speak for the rest of Europe, but here in Sweden we're definitely on our way to becoming as polarized as the US. And frankly it scares me. We've had high political figures make statements that wouldn't have seemed out of place in Nazi-Germany. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

One of the dissenting justices in the Colorado disqualification case claims that his dissent has not so much to do with the criteria and content of the actual ruling but the fact that apparently, it sends a precedent for a chaotic, ad-hoc decision on a state by state basis. Um, isn’t that how U.S. gun laws and abortion laws are adjudicated? 
In any case, we know there will be some sort of appeal by the defendant. 2024 presidential election is looking like a mess so far.

• Members

The Affordable Care Act appears to be following the same arc as many "entitlements" that our country once balked at but now cannot fathom doing without.  If I were a Democrat running for office, I would hammer home that fact along with reproductive rights and the inextricable links between them and the ACA.

Edited by Khan