The Politics Thread

• Members

I keep thinking of new terrible things that are going to come from this. All the poor kids that won't get universal preschool, all the young women who won't have access to abortion.  That first day I was in a state of shock, but the full weight of it is really sinking in now.

Here is an article written by a young Muslim. Very, very sad.

https://newrepublic.com/article/138649/president-donald-trump-means-muslims

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think (and this goes for a lot of the people I know) it because Australia itself has an ugly history with racism. The treatment of Aborigines is an ugly, ugly stain on our history and we're still feeling the effects and repenting of it. There's also the fact that, like America, Australia is a country built on immigrants- people whose families escaped the Holocaust or Sudan or the USSR or East Germany. My own grandmother came to Australia after having to escape Europe in the back of a truck to get away from the Nazis because she was Jewish. I see a lot of people who are here thinking "would we be welcome in Trump's America?". I know as a woman, as a Jewish person, and as a child and grandchild of immigrants that I certainly probably wouldn't. I don't want to feel that way, I don't want my 13 year old sister to feel that way, and I don't want the American people to feel that way but people do and it's sad. It's 2016. People shouldn't have to worry about what they're now worrying about. i mean we're down here in Australia worried to death about climate change and the leader of the free world is appointing people who claim it's a myth.

I've made donation to PP, NAACAP, ACLU, and now the Sierra Club so far. Does anyone know any others that are need ing help? Maybe some that support immigrants or the LGBTQ communities?

• Members

I've been thinking about the fact that DT got 53% of the white female vote.  At first I found that pretty shocking, but then I really thought about it.  Although I grew up in the white working class over the years (because of education) I've become part of the liberal elite. I let myself forget how many women aren't even feminists. If you don't believe you are equal you certainly aren't go to stand up for other people's equality. I really wonder where this whole debacle leaves the democratic party going forward.

• Members

Exactly where it should be......destitute. BUT.....we need people like Sen. Warren. she hopefully will become the new standard bearer for the party and can bring in people such as her. also, we will do our part to fight this......fool who, because of ignorance, blind hatred, and just plain stupidity was elected to high office....with not clue 1 of what the hell to do.