October 27-31, 2008

Angela

• Members

the thing I have always noticed about Y&R and B&B esp. is that although they are not the only shows that are shown in other countries - they are the ones that appeal to others in other countries more.

Y&R is usually in the top 20 shows of both primetime and daytime in Canada. And other places they are very popular as well.

Foreigners tend to want more balanced drama and less of the out there stuff and although B&B gets into camp at times - both Y&R and B&B tend to stay away from the out there stuff and they also offer stories that feature older characters more.

Foreigners for the most part still hold onto the old principles of soaps where the generations are shown and what I love about tuning into a foreign soap like Coronation Street or whatever is that not everyone looks like they are right out of a fashion magazine. There are people who look like common everyday folk. And the foreigners eat their soaps up - they love them.

William J. Bell always resisted the urge to copy GH in the 80's while every other show didn't fight the urge. You see which one rose to the top and stayed there.

I just hope that Y&R will continue to hold onto that. I am still so surprised to tune into Y&R this last week and know that Hogan Sheffer of all people is writing for an 80 year old woman. He has made it clear in the past he doesn't like writing for the older characters. I am just glad Maria Bell is there and keeping him from tunring Y&R into a show that it has never been.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The absence of promotion is JAW-DROPPING. I mean now...sweeps week, Paris...shouldn't Y&R be *all over the dial*? Shouldn't I be seeing banner ads here at SON? On Perez Hilton? It CLEARLY worked for Sudden Impact. I guess they're thinking the revenue gain from the added eyeballs is not worth the expense of the ads?

Your analysis of why Bell remained on top is interesting. I think it is clear that Hogan probably isn't writing for that 80 year old woman :). But kudos to Arena Bell for structuring a team where she can have "youth writers" and "veteran writers". Somehow, her job seems to be balancing all that. I think it is sort of working....

You're right that B&B has some reality basis...but Steve it is AWFUL. I can't believe it will remain an international success in the current format.

• Members

Exactly! And if the show structure can be repaired (and it's heading that way) it can survive an occasional bad story, or an occasional story that ticks off a particular fanbase.

Fanbase writing is for fanfiction. When a whole soap caters to a fanbase, the show suffers, imo.

I'm not thrilled with every story on AMC right now, but overall I'm intrigued again.

I wish we had more of that on the ABC soaps. I'm glad Pratt is bringing older characters back in, but I'd love to see more 'normal' looking folks. I really like how MEK looks right now, very natural and distinguised, and I bet the folks at the network are having a cow about it. :: sad laugh ::

Regarding Y/R, I've tuned back in to see Marge/Kay, but the rest of the show seems really wobbly right now. The Victor stuff is just pathetic (at least imo, I'm sure some like it). So although I'm looking online at the Marge/Kay story, I'm not watching the rest.

Archived