How many Episodes do they film in one day?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As Jack said, it all depends. They don't necessarily put a single ep in the can every day, an actor will come in a couple of times a week and shoot several scenes which will span a few eps. So it's hard to give a definite number. It all depends on scheduling and how heavy a character's storyline is.

• Members

B&B tapes 8 episodes a week in a four day work week. This allows them to tape for three weeks and then give the cast and crew a week off, since they still wind up with 24 episodes taped a month.

Along the lines with what others said about soaps taping in blocks of scenes, B&B does this, too. Supervising Producer Rhonda Friedman told one of the soap mags that the writers structure the scripts around certain sets, so the episodes taped on Tuesday and Wednesday will all use the same sets, and the same is true of the sets for the episodes taped on Thursday and Friday.

• Members

I thougth some shows DID still shoot more or less an episode a day--and then maybe a few key scenes using an actor who's not needed otherwise for another ep. Do none do this anymore? I know One Life stopped shooting that way at least 5 years back but when I read that, got the impression it was still unusual for New York shows to shoot that way.

• Members

AMC still more or less shoots one episode a day. They do shoot parts of multiple episodes a day when they need to "get ahead" (to prepare for a Holiday or hiatus, etc.) so they'll finish the week with 6 or 7 episodes.

I thought that OLTL more or lessed followed the "episode a day" model as well, with the exception being that they usually taped six shows a week, and so everyday they'd tape the one episode and then parts of the sixth/extra episode.

• Members

In terms of taping a number of scenes that would equal an hour-long ep or more, yes, that can be done in a day, but getting one start-to-finish ep in a can every day is not what happens anymore.

Doesn't it seem like shooting GL would be a breeze for the actors given the new production model? I wonder if they've gotten any better at the time management thing, remember the actors complaining about the Peapack commute and the fact that they were suddenly working MUCH harder...

• Members

"Doesn't it seem like shooting GL would be a breeze for the actors given the new production model?"

I dunno, to me it seems like it would take more time. Getting to different locations, working it all out for easy filming, etc is harder than building the sets needed for that day, callign the actors all to the same place and filming.

Archived