AMC: Babe Spoiler from TV Guide Canada

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know I'm going to be tarred and feathered for saying this - but Alexa really redeemed that character by the end. I would have been perfectly content had Babe been written out when she left... and hell, maybe we'd never see her again, but at least the possibility was open.

Instead, they recast on an impulse with a girl who, while not horrid, is SO not Babe. They strung her along for a year with ZERO story... and now they're just going to kill her, giving David and Krystal all of... what? Six months of story? At the most.

I know Babe is hated by many fans still for the baby switch stuff. And I don't disagree. But this just strikes me as shock value at its lamest. I'm not angry because she's a "legacy character", because SHE IS NOT. Hell, I'm not even really a Babe fan at heart. I just think it's really a lazy move. A death for no other reason than it makes you look bad to recast a second time. It's kinda like firing one actor and recasting the character you're going to turn into someone's "unabortion" with a different actor, and then once you do it, push him to the backburner until you end up phasing him out and--

--oh wait. Never mind. ;)

ETA: I'm posting this NOT as a Pratt hater. I've actually enjoyed the last few weeks very much. I swear. :)

• Members

ZendallFan, I totally accept that as your opinion. Like I said, I know I'm in the minority. I guess I'm speaking more from a character standpoint than a "baby switch" standpoint. You can't deny that Alexa didn't work her ass off to try and save the character (the fact that you didn't accept it is a fault of the writing, not the actress). Heck, Alexa even says as much in that quote. And she is connected with Jamie, JR, Adam, Krystal, Tad, and (most importantly) Bianca, in so many positive AND negative ways.

I guess I see a lot of potential should Alexa ever want to return. Even WITH all the awfulness of the baby switch. A character like that could EASILY be altered through future story into a bitch and villain, if it's ever needed in the future.

I guess my point is that we're going to get a death that will only provide short term effects... but won't really serve the show in the long run. I don't disagree with what you're saying... I guess I'm still optimistic enough to think about the possibilities ten years from now, when (soras-ed) Little A is sixteen or seventeen old, and his mother (i.e. Havens) wants to return.

Having said all that, I'm really not trying to pick a fight. I'm the last person to defend the Babe Carey character. The writers really nailed her coffin as early as her FIRST WEEK ON THE AIR, when she slept with two brothers for no other reason than she was horny. LOL!

Archived