OLTL: What's the obsession with kidnapping?

• Members

Why do so many stories on thsi show revolve around kidnapping and holding someone hostage? Jonas kidnapped Sarah and Talia who were later kidnapped by Carlo who held Antonio, Cris, Tina nad Cain hostage. Ramsey kidnapped Marty who has now been kidnapped by Todd who plans on kidnapping Starr's baby bc he doesnt want it to go to Marcie who kidnapped Sam and held Viki hostage. Tess just kidnapped Natalie and Carlo once again kidnapped Cristian.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ron isn't a very good writer IMO. He sets up lame and predictable scenarios so that he can create heroes. I don't watch OLTL anymore, but I can tell you exactly what will happen in the Tess/Natalie story. Jared will rescue Natalie from Tess -- probably Tess will try to seduce him and he will have none of it, but that is just a probably. I don't know that they are heading that way -- then Jared will rescue Jessica from Tess. He will then utter the lines of instant redemption that Ron seeks for the character, Jessica I promised Nash on his deathbed I will take care of his family. That is what I am doing rescuing you from Tess.

Now a better story, and one that would have required some creativity on the part of a writer -- a skill that Ron does not possess -- would have been for Jessica to deal with the grief and the loss. Also, it would have been nice had Jared been required to earn redemption.

Then again, that would not have been lazy writing and it would have been creating complex characters rather than propping his favorite little newbie -- Jared.

• Members

Correct. And you'll see — all those who praise(d) him will change their mind quite soon.

He was always a mediocre writer at best who seduced fans by referencing history and using other cheap tricks, relying on 80s style soaps and basically not being Dena Higley etc. All that isn't bad per se (the Dena part certainly isn't bad), but the way his stories were executed was just appalling.

• Members

To me, what is interesting, is that he won the Emmy for the Asa funeral segments. Those segments were very enjoyable because I got to see Dan G. as Kevin and Nathan Fillion as Joe and Cord. But really there was not story. There was nothing at all memorable about either of those. It does show that hype pays off in political campaigns and daytime emmys. :lol: :lol:

• Members

No one cares about the Emmys, really. A whole platoon of hacks won that award.

I think his rise to prominence was due to the following: not being Dena Higley, begina huge fan of the genre and, clearly, OLTL, and no 3.: finally OLTL got its moment in the spotlight after all those years being ABC's stepchild. That show could have been such a good soap opera, but years of negligence left their mark.

• Members

Yeah, when Christian was left behind in the airport last week, I had a bad feeling in my stomach. And it wasn't a good bad feeling I get when I know something bad is going to happen to a character and I can't wait to see it happen (ex. Marty regaining her memory). It was a bad nauseating feeling that said, "Christian's going to get kidnapped by someone from Mendorra; and RC had the audacity to keep this bogus storyline going despite it's utter foul decrepit nature." As my stomach continued to grumble and complain, I think I remember it saying, "I don't even care what the hell happens to Christian. Just get Carlo Hesser off my goddamn screen!!"

<sigh>

I've also noticed that a lot of the magic OLTL had during sweeps were pretty harnessed by Vicki and Dorian. Hopefully when they return, that magic will as well. And I won't have indigestion anymore...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived