Y&R: Week of August 25, 2008

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My sentiments exactly.

*Nikki and Jack were running for senate.

*Kevin, Amber and Daniel were hiding bodies and burying money.

*Nick realized he still loved Sharon. Later that day he decided he actually loved Phyllis.

*"I'll kill you Jana". "I have a brain tumor Kevin". "I love you".

*And last but not least, Phyllis was sentenced to six years in prison for... spitting on the sidewalk or something.

The storylines were bad, but at least we had that awesome heavy metal music in the background. It really enhanced the scenes.

• Members

I look forward to each Y&R episode...I mean almost breathlessly. That hasn't happened in FOREVER. I mean, I almost think it hasn't really happened since Kay Alden first took over as HW...except I really liked the start of Victor's epilepsy arc under LML. But, I have just been enjoying each episode so much.

Of course, there is still more episode to episode variation. I'm noticing that I'm left somewhat cooler by the Seidman and Racina episodes (now that you have me watching credits), but I enjoy most episodes. I still haven't deleted 8/6/08 off my DVR...and that is something I NEVER do. Heck, I even penned an homage to it :). But most shows now move me or make me smile, and definitely can't wait till the next episode.

Thus, I actually feel August lived up to the hype.

I live for brimike's posts, and I hate that he feels sensitive. I know what he means. There is a poster who criticized me a lot on ratsc...a guy I really liked and enjoyed exchanging with...but he hated that I posted spoilers (under protection), and that eventually drove him off the board. I'm sorry he's gone, but honestly it had come to the point that I got pains in my stomach whenever I wanted to post anything for fear of annoying him.

That is a terrible feeling.

That is why "ignore" IS your friend! In addition, that is why I LOVE LOVE LOVE the "unpopular opinions" thread...because it is a place of no judgment. I wish the whole board could be like that.

I agree...momentum. But like brimike, I'm not looking into the future. I'm very much watching each episode on its' own merits, in the context of my lifelong love for Y&R. Right now, each show has me eagerly anticipating the next. I know this will not last; I know the show is far from perfect...but I prefer to look at the positive.

I also let the hype make me expect less, not more. That said, I find the August drama pretty much lived up to the hype.

What I loved was Kevin's almost orgasmic need to set off that fire. He burned Gina's. He torched himself in the hospital. When Michael first met up with him he called him a "little firebug". So we know that Kevin has a life long joy of fire and flame as a way of acting out. Thus, the fact that he could LEGALLY torch something, and do it with his girl....Greg PERFECTLY played his delighted. I don't know if that was scripted, but it was a delight that Rikaart had a PERFECT grasp of his character's history in that scene!

I see gradual change for the better. See the figure below...that is gradual change. That is what I feel I see. Improvement is not, day to day, necessarily a straight line.

quality.jpg

I can't comment. Is it Maria? Is it BBJr? Is it Sony?

Yes, my bias is that Hamner should go. But he is being retained for a REASON, and (given the fairly rapid dismissal of Griffith) I do not believe it is inertia or ineptitude. We were told by Racina that Hamner is doing some kind of coordination function. If he is good at that, why fire him? He may have little to do with the creative product on our screens.

We have established elsewhere that Sylph is an "absolutist" and I am a "relativist". So, that also applies to show quality for me. BUT, honestly Sylph, in today's posts I somehow felt wounded by your balloon popping :). Y&R is the best on daytime, it is better than it has been, and it seems to be on ascendant trajectory. Why not celebrate for a change?

This is not meant to be personal, challenging, or mean-spirited! I really write this to all of us. There is a good show, and it is getting better. For one fine minute, let's just revel in that!

Archived