Which soap is YOUR soap?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC is definitely my number one. I've spent more time devoted to AMC than any other show on the planet lol.

But as in terms of longevity and sentiment...probably ATWT. I'm a young'un, but I've been watching it on and off, some way or another, pretty much since birth. My earliest memories would be around 1992/1993-ish.

• Members

Days is my family's show. My grandma's watched from day one, and my mom and aunt were brought up with it. It always had a sort of background presence in my life. I can remember seeing the Coronation Massacre, and Eileen Davidson as Susan ("That Stefano is mean, mean, mean, mean, mean!"). I didn't start watching every day until a few years ago.

ATWT is the first soap that I discovered for myself. Before I saw Van Hansis on SoapTalk, I had never even heard of the show. Now I watch it every day.

As an aside, it really sucks to be just coming into the soap world and to have to hear constantly about "the death of the genre." I know that every indication points that way, but I want so badly to believe that they'll go on indefinitely.

• Members

Another World (from beginning to end, I'm still in mourning)

Days only because it came on before Another World

GL and As the world Turns because my family watched CBS back in the 50's and 60's, (i was very young then, remember American Bandstand came on every day, I warched that too it was the first reality soap because we knew all about the couples)

Now I watch only Days and GL, mostly out of habit (or addiction, I can't decide) I even watch when I'm soo pissed off that I'm yelling at the tv.

• Members

Another World

at one time it would have been Somerset and The Edge of Night but in the long run Another World is it for me.

If Days, ATWT and AMC had been cancelled long before the last few years and before Hogan Sheffer and other hacks got a hold of them they would still hold higher places in my heart, but Sheffer, McTavish, and Passanante for the most part ruined by attachment to all 3 shows. Other writers helped but it has been under those 3 tenures at each of the respective shows that I not only quit watching the show but I quit caring about the shows too.

I consider that a biggie for me. I have been mad at other writers or didn't care for what was happening on screen but those 3 writers in their last tenures on those 3 shows not only made me quit watching but they destroyed my attachment to the show and to the characters.

Archived