Y & R: Jack strikes again

• Members

No, because Sabrina is squandered excellence. The introduction was rushed, so she didn't reach audience acceptance...but as comments in the last few weeks show, she could have.

In the long run, it is a major loss for Y&R...when this could have been used to introduce a sophisticated and interesting young character with a compelling backstory...and some diversity too. Yes, I know this is just my opinion. :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with you, MarkH. I never thought that Sabrina was that bad as a character. She was gorgeous and had potential, but this being the era of bad soap writing, she was poorly introduced and the decision to make her Victor's love interest was a terrible mistake. It doomed her character. Eric Braeden's days as a stud are over. I simply do not understand how as a woman, MAB could possibly think that a predominately female audience wants to see an old man drooling over a woman half his age and walking around with his shirt unbuttoned. I am sure that I can speak for all women when I say that we would prefer Adam, Nick, J.T. and Brad shirtless and doing love scenes. Sabrina should have been linked to Brad or even causing problems for Nick and Phyliss' marriage. Sabrina could have stirred things up in Genoa City and set herself up as a femme fatale. Instead she was wasted on Victor and now is heading to the graveyard.

Another thing about Y&R, I really think that there are too many age inappropriate couples featured prominently e.g. Nick/Phyliss, Jack/Sharon and Lily/Cane. I always thought that Sharon should have been with Cane.

• Members

Why can't they bring in a woman within 20 years of Victor's age if they want to have the audience accept a romance with him? Sabrina is young enough to be his grand daughter and the only reason someone her age would grab onto an old poop like him is for the money. I was hoping that they would write her as a gold digging manipulator like her mother. She could have been preggers with Phillips baby. The [!@#$%^&*] could have hit the fan when they announced the pregnancy and the family reminds him of his vasectomy. Then it could have been discovered that during one of his seizures, he fell and hit his head so hard it knocked that little detail out of his memory. Then Victor could spend the next 6 months trying to rid himself of Sabrina.

I didn't mind the actress or the character, except when she was chasing after Victor. I think the show decided to write themselves out of the vasectomy booboo with a clean cut re-write rather than to think of another way out. Just the way the shows were put together, I think it was written with Nikki and David in the car and they brought VI back for re-writes to have him poison Nikki and put Sabrina in the car instead .

As for Jack, everything he did to Victor has been a result of Victor's constant attempts to ruin him. Had it been Jack that had a stroke during one of their knock down drag outs, I'm sure that Victor would have done the same thing and walked out and left him for dead. I have always seen Jack as the David vrs, Victor's Goliath. I'm sure Victor will do something that makes Jack decide to punish him by publishing the pictures. As for Sharon, she will stay with Jack. I'm actually starting to like this pairing and maybe it's because Sharon is finally coming to the realization that butter does melt in her mouth. Plus since she never did manage to become mistress of the ranch manor, she has to stay with Jack to remain mistress of the Abbott manor. That woman is nothing if not consistent in her social climbing ways!

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jul 27 2008, 07:27 PM)
We need characters to get their fierceness back in Genoa City. Everything is far too mellow and vanilla. This will help raise the stakes and could make for some powerful story.

Jack was truly vile during Victor's epilepsy/brain damage, and I guess we're heading back down the vile alley. Conscience-daddy and judging-wife Sharon better counter-balance him...I am very uncomfortable with this "picture" arc.

Archived