DAYS: Long dead character returns

• Members

OMG! Dena's using history! This is going to suck! :rolleyes: Why not wait to see how it plays out before bashing it?

Considering how my reasons for watching DAYS don't involve John, Marlena, Stefano or any ghosts of christmas past in your mind, I couldn't care less. For those fans who watched Sam and have waited to see her back on screen (even if it's not in original form), let them revel in their happiness. It's not affecting my DAYS watching one bit, or will it hurt.

Does Dena have the best track record with utilizing history? Based off her OLTL run, no. But this is a show Dena has worked on for years, she understands the history. Even if she hadn't mentioned history before now, it doesn't mean she hasn't tried. Many times the show doesn't want history acknowledged because "fans think the character is coming back" or because the story was so bad they don't want to remind us (ie no mention of Rex/Cassie being Kate's children...or any mention of them period).

Give the woman credit for trying. If it ties into the story and plays out well, then great. If it doesn't, then rip it apart.

Sometimes things look good on paper (ie OLTL anniversary) and when executed fails miserably at life (ie OLTL anniversary).

<_<

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's my problem with the whole thing....funny that folks reference OLTL, because it seems odd to me that the OLTL 40th anniversary was touted with the nods to history, people going back in time, and people going to heaven, seeing the dead, then being resurrected. I find the timing rather odd. To be honest, if it was anyone but Dena, I wouldn't think anything of it, but I just get a sense of copycatting, since OLTL got rid of her and yes, it's riding on a nice wave of success right now. Could be I feel that Days is eating OLTL's dust right now. Could be I feel that OLTL's stuff was well done.

My other problem is with Hall making a big deal out of learning dialogue for two characters. It's not like she's doing it for days and days. Granted, I'm known for not being the biggest Marlena/DHall fan (total understatement of the century), but still...This does not seem new and fresh and terribly exciting to me.

And yes, I watched Samantha get killed. I remember that storyline. I'm a dinosaur. I admit it. AND, that was when I DID love Deidre Hall. I WASN'T watching when the whole Hattie thing came up.

I will reserve further judgement until I watch. I could totally eat my words after this happens.

• Members

Now, i disagree with this, because I thought the OLTL anniversary stuff was well done, and I didn't even know those dead characters! But, that's all a matter of opinion. And there are people who DON'T feel like the OLTL anniversary failed miserably, just like there are people who are hyped about this whole Samantha thing when others aren't.

But, if this past week on Days is any indication, to me, Dena is failing more and more. THis is the first time in months I've fast forwarded things, and after 15 minutes gave up and deleted the shows.

Take the whole autism storyline. As a teacher, I had high hopes for this, since this is something Dena knows about personally. As executed, it's not a storyline worthy of an appearance on the Today show. People are going by track record. And Dena's track record is BAM! "I have a terrific, outlandish event. Now what the hell am I going to do with it?"

The dock storyline, the EJ/Nicole thing, the Steve/Kayla/Ava fallout......it either dragged mercilessly slow or had to be prodded either by fans or actors or both.

So, maybe the whole Marlena/Samantha thing will be terrific, but what about the aftermath? Will this fit in the scheme of things? What's its purpose? I can wait for the results, but with Dena's track record, I can't blame people for being cynical and critical.

• Members

Honestly I'm just sick of it. I'm more inclined to accept a drugged Marlena talking to or seeing Sam than I am a wide awake Dorian having an in-depth conversation with the ghost of Mel's past or whatever the feck it was. <_<

Kstaff my issue with the OLTL anniversary was that it seemed like a bad episode of Passions all the way through (and this is coming from someone who likes Passions). There were other ways of celebrating the anniversary besides being electrocuted and going back in time, having normal conversations with ghosts and having poorly written, directed and acted scenes of the falls redoux.

But I respected everyone by not going into the thread and tearing it to pieces. I waited until it was completely over before I made my comment, and I still hated it. The only thing that was good (or could have made sense) was Viki dying and going to heaven. Other than that it was poorly executed IMO.

• Members

So, the folks who post negative comments and apprehensions about this whole thing on Days are not being respectful? If that's the case, there should be a lot of posts that should be pulled right now. I don't understand why people who feel burned by Dena cannot express their lack of "like" for something coming up. It's done all the time.

• Members

That's not what I'm saying. I too am someone who has been burned by Dena...twice. I don't think she's the greatest writer and I have a lot of problems with her stories. Even with all of that, I'm enjoying parts of the show.

I'm not saying people are voicing negative comments and apprehensions are being disrespectful. That wasn't my intention at all.

• Members

SON is one of the most generally articulate, civil, passionate places about soaps on the web. One of the beauties (for me) is that so many people go "meta"...they think about the creative process and economics and social forces BEHIND the stories.

SON manages not to descend to the level of snark of, say, a TWOP....and it manages not to turn into these silly infantile "fanbase wars" or "supercouple wars" that show up other places.

I appreciate the attempt to maintain civility.

The problem is, of course, that too much maintenance of civility can have a "chilling effect", and sometimes your most energetic posters can go away.

One way to deal with that is to be VERY explicit in the guidelines, with examples, about is and is not acceptable. And to require all new members read it and "check it off" before being allowed to proceed.

This is my long-winded way of saying I value you all, and I learn from you every day. Thank you.

• Members

Battle lines are officially being drawn!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've officially stopped blaming Higley for everything. (I know, right? I'm shocked too!) This was my epiphany for today - one that many people have had before me, but it took me until this afternoon for it really to register in my head, for various reasons. I think that show is just one HUGE fustercluck, and it's part bad writing, and part bad EP'ing and part unable to move on from the past, and part bad fanbases, and it's all messy egos, and I don't even care anymore, I just wish the show would either implode under this litany of bad decisions on LOTS of people's parts, or step forward with a public apology for all the CRAP they've thrown the fans' way, both on-camera AND off-camera, both in the writers' room and in the casting department, in the producers' office and in Ken Corday's office, say we screwed everything up, but let's sit down and tell you a damn fine storyline that has nuance, powerful performances and forget all the mismatched BS we have been force-feeding down your throats for FAR too long now - through Langan and Brash/Cwickly's firing and Reilly-Take Two and Higley- Part One and Sheffer/Kelly and Higley Two-Electric Bugaloo, and the writers' strike crap that just divided everybody into two camps and did nothing but create TWO MORE RABID FANBASES, which is the LAST thing this ratf@cked show needs. Because it's killing everything, especially this fans' love for the show.

I'm thrilled for the Samantha reference. I'm glad they're doing it. But I'm so exhausted from the ping-ponging my adoration of Salem has suffered through in the last fifteen years, it doesn't even matter. Deidre plays Samantha for eight scenes. Great. Fantastic. Doesn't change the fact that every time I turn on Days, everything just seems tainted, and every time I open a Days thread lately, my heart just sinks a little more.

Wow. I don't know where all that came from. What can I say? It's been a REALLY weird day. <_<

• Members

Brad Bell has extra time, what with Kay Alden's added B&B duties.

Maybe he could REALLY show he is his father's son, come to DOOL and restore it to its 1960s luster? Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I do feel this show needs reinvention on the highest order...but it is so weak, it cannot afford to do what needs to be done, for fear of ratings falling further.

Shows have natural lifespans, and some of them may have exceeded them.

Archived