SFT veteran Larry Haines has died

• Members

http://www.legacy.com/PalmBeachPost/DeathN...sonId=113690706

Larry Haines of Delray Beach, Florida and a former resident of New York passed away on July 17, 2008. Larry was a renowned television and stage actor whose career was marked by versatility and accomplishment. He was predeceased by his former wives, Gertrude Haines and Jean Pearlman Haines as well as by his only daughter, Debora Haines.

Larry's Broadway appearances include TRIBUTE with Jack Lemmon, TWIGS with Sada Thompson, NO HARD FEELINGS with Eddie Albert and the lead role of Barney Cashman in LAST OF THE RED HOT LOVERS. Prior to that he played Dr. Dreyfus in PROMISES, PROMISES for which he was nominated for a Tony Award and he lists among his other Broadway credits the role of the theatrical agent in A THOUSAND CLOWNS with Jason Robards and that of the doctor in GENERATION, a performance which also won him a Tony Award nomination.

His other theater credits are Neil Simon's GOD'S FAVORITE in which he co-starred with Godfrey Cambridge at the Coconut Grove Playhouse in Florida and PARIS IS OUT in which he co-starred with Molly Picon at the Philadelphia Playhouse in the Park. He appeared as one of the card players in the record-breaking movie version of THE ODD COUPLE with Jack Lemmon. Other films include THE SEVEN-UPS and THE SWIMMER with Burt Lancaster.

Mr. Haines has been heard on over 15,000 radio shows including INNER SANCTUM and GANGBUSTERS, and for 35 years he played the part of Stu Bergman on the popular TV soap opera SEARCH FOR TOMORROW for which he won two Emmys as best actor on a Daytime Series. He made guest appearances on MAUDE, KOJAK, ON OUR OWN, DOC, HALLMARK and co-starred in the series PHYL AND MIKKY and he appeared in BABY ON BOARD. He also received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy in 1983.

Larry is survived by his niece, Kathy Hecht. He will be greatly missed by his friends and admirers. Chapel services are scheduled for Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 12:00 pm Rubin Memorial Chapel, 7340 Boynton Beach Blvd. - Boynton Beach, FL 33437 (561) 853-3000, with burial to follow at Mt. Nebo Kendall Cemetery in South Miami. Contributions in his memory may be made to the Screen Actors Guild, Hollywood Headquarters, 5757 Wilshire Blvd. 7th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90036-3600. To express condolences and/or make donations Visit PalmBeachPost.com/obituaries

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I knew he did a lot of other stuff while on SFT...but not HOW MUCH! How did he manage all this, especially all the West Coast stuff? He must have been very backburnered.

It saddened me that his two wives and daughter had all preceded him in death. I guess all his sibling too, because his sole survivor was a niece. Hopefully, he will have a great big reunion with all his lost loved ones now.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="638" height="516">

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="638" height="516">

• Members

I never watched SFT a day in my life, but boy if I don't get a huge lump in my throat every time I watch that "What is it you're searching for?" clip. And what makes it so utterly heartbreaking is that you can tell Mary Stuart REALLY wasn't ready for it to be over. I will always remember Jo and Stu's reunion on the CBS 50 Years of Soaps special where they finally got to kiss. May Mr. Haines rest in perfect peace.

P.S. Does Jane Krakowski bug the crap out of you too?

Archived