The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sorry about the scan - I know the second one in particular is not good. I hope it was readable.

I'm surprised that no one at SOD interviewed the writers at this time but you're right, I don't think they did.

It's funny that not too long after The Doctors, NBC had Nancy on another medical show with not too great ratings. I wonder if that was a coincidence.

• Members

My personal knowledge of THE DOCTORS is limited. In fact, I have no memories of any soap before 1981/1982. So, as far as THE DOCTORS are concerned, that amounts to bits and pieces of Alec Baldwin, Lydia Bruce, Elizabeth Hubbard, Meg Mundy, David O'Brien, Jada Rowland, and Kim Zimmer. Based on what I do know from before that time period, though, from reading various story synopses and what-not, I think NBC gave up on this one too soon. Granted, it wasn't in the best of shape when it ended, but I feel like enough was there at the core - with Matt, Maggie, Mike and Kit; with Althea and Penny (it wouldn't be the first time a character came back from the dead); with Steve and Carolee and a sprinkling of new and returning Dancys and Aldriches (would Billy, Mona and Nola have even been written off for good if not for the quick ratings?); and maybe a new family headed by an African-American patriarch who comes to work at the hospital - to keep trying. A hospital can be a great community setting for a soap, I think, allowing characters from various walks of life to interact on all levels.

• Members

I definitely think the Doctors could have continued and lasted for much longer than it did. Like you said, a lot of it's core was still intact and there were characters to bring back and new families to develop.

I'm sure it's been established in 28 pages, but why did NBC axe The Doctors? Were the ratings terrible?

• Members

OHHH yea. They were getting a 1.6 in their last season and being pre-empted by so many stations (it was airing at 12PM Eastern at the time), it wasn't worth keeping AT ALL from a business perspective. NO soap had ever finished a season with ratings that low before. Unfortunately, I think it had way more to do with a terrible timeslot than anything to do with story.

Edited by beebs

• Members

In terms of the show's quality, more than one actor has spoken that in the last years the backstage atmosphere was unhappy and that they felt they were a B or C list show. But onscreen, although I have only seen a few episodes, I am struck just about every time (the exception being an early 1982 episode which didn't do a lot for me) at the strength of the cast and the energy in the scenes. Lydia Bruce, Jim Pritchett, Jada Rowland, David O'Brien, Liz Hubbard, Meg Mundy, these are not only strong actors, but also very unique. In an era where everyone seems the same, and even on soaps of the early 80's when everyone began seeming the same, they stand out. They could have carried a show for a long time. The younger cast also has some standouts, and the writing, when it is good, is fun, flip, yet also down-to-earth, and always remembers the characters are human beings.

In the proper hands this would be a top-rated show today.

Edited by CarlD2