• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From what I know after Marland left:

Mel & Ethel Brez (Dec. 77 - May 78)

Linda Grover (May 78 - Sept. 78)

Elizabeth Levin & David Cherrill (Sept. 78 - Sept. 80)

Ralph Ellis & Eugenie Hunt (Sept. 80 - Jan. 81)

Lawrence & Ronnie Wencker-Konner (Jan. 81 - May 81)

Aaron Scott & Anne-Marie Barlow (May 81 - July 81)

Elizabeth Levin (July 81 - Dec. 81)

Harding Lemay (Dec. 81 - Feb. 82)

Elizabeth Levin (Feb. 82 - June 82)

Barbara Morgenroth & Leonard Kantor (June 82 - Dec. 82)

• Members

A Chris Schemering SPW history tour had this 1978 cast photo. Sorry if this has been around a lot - I'd never seen it. He also mentions that Turner's first, or some of her first, scenes involved her mother's death at Luke's club, for which she blamed Doreen.

07-15-2011122423PM-Copy.jpg

• Members

On Steve Frame's board, I believe Paul Raven posted an SOD article from August 1982 stating Barbara Morgenroth and Robert Cendella were replacing Harding Lemay on 'The Doctors.' Paul, do you happen to still have this?

Also, during the summer of 1981 there was a Writer's Strike, so I think it's unlikely that Levin took over in July mid way through the strike or that the Barlows would be credited as writing the episodes. She may have been hired in July, but I don't think her material would air until the fall. What's the source of this information?

I hope this doesn't come off as rude as it is not intended to be that way. I may be wrong as well.

• Members

I'm sure we've seen some...although they're mostly from the show, or party photos. It is nice to see a cast photo though. I only know about half of the actors in that...

Kathleen looks older there than in the few stills available of her (usually of her at her sister's wedding).

I like how horribly awkward James Pritchett is. I wish I could see more of him. I think he's my type of older leading male on a soap, the type that was, sadly, kicked out the door in the early/mid 80's and never invited back.

• Members

Thanks dc11786. I love your information. My sources are usually Jon-Michael Reed columns but you must be right about Morgenroth & Kantor taking over Lemay. That's what I thought too but someone posted that Levin was new HW in Jan. 82 according to SOD so I was confused and changed my list.

I'm quite sure Levin was hired in June 1981 but you are probably right: with the strike, her material was probably aired later the fall but I don't have any information about it.

• Members

Regarding Levin, she was definitely there in the fall of 1981 after the strike ended. Several episodes appeared on WoST from this period and I know at least one was credited to her. I thought, however, that Konners returned from the strike, but I think I'm wrong. Also, there is an article from 1984 talking about Elizabeth Levin's play 'The Female Entertainer,' in which she says she left 'The Doctors' abruptly over a script. I think this si the second time because the Christmas 1981 episode is credited to Aaron Scott and Ann Marie Barlow. I suspect Scott & Barlow kept the show going between Levin's abrupt departure and Lemay's first episodes.

This would explain why Levin is listed as the new writer in an issue giving previews for the new year. Lemay may not have been hired in time.

I think it looks like this:

Lawrence & Ronnie Wencker-Konner (Jan. 81 - May 81)

No writers credited (June - Aug. 1981)

Elizabeth Levin (Sept. 81 - Dec. 81)

Aaron Scott & Anne-Marie Barlow (Dec. 1981)

Harding Lemay (Dec. 81 - June 82)

• Members

This is the exact quote.

With the return of head writer Elizabeth Levin, "The Doctors" will once again be the show it was when, in its glory years, it garnered so many Emmy Awards.

By dealing with themes and stories that touch our minds and consciences, one of daytime's finest acting ensembles will be given a chance to explore the full range of their talent by showing us the dignity of choice from among the dizzying array of alternatives that modern life offers.

This year, "The Doctors" will return to the heart of the matter - and a much higher share of the viewing audience.