The Doctors

• Members

I wonder why they didn't have him related to the Aldriches. He kind of looks like Luke.

It looks like he was there to the end, or close anyway, according to some of the later recaps. I'm not sure what his last story was.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Danny Martin was introduced in August 1981 during the strike. He was involved with Althea's mysterious hit and run patient, Robin. Althea and Danny, an orderly, both took a shine to the young girl. Danny snuck her out to a carnival and later they ran away when it looked like Robin might be hurt by Sebastian, the drug dealer Jerry Dancy was involved with in Tokyo. Sebastian had killed Robin's mother and he feared she might rat him out. Sebastian kidnapped Danny and Robin, a fire ensued, and the two nearly died. Robin later faded from the story and Danny returned to his position at the hospital. Natalie came to work there in November 1981 so I assume that's how Danny-Natalie became friends. When Lemay began, Danny was defending Natalie to Nola, who didn't like her brother's relationship with Natalie.

Danny wasn't killed off during the plague storyline. He can be seen in the final episode. He tells off one of the nurses who had been trying to use him. Danny dated Kit McCormack briefly when she arrived on the scene and was later involved with sexy nurse Hollis, who also went after Mike Powers.

• Members

That's interesting. I didn't think most of the strike characters survive. I guess he was the only one who did...I can't think of any 1981 strike characters on any soaps who lasted. I guess there must have been someone though.

A non-ending always sucks but at least it's better than being killed off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I haven't poured through this thread to see if this topic has already been discussed, but it always suprised me that NBC never chose to expand The Doctors to 60 minutes. (The surprise is even more striking when you consider the fact that DOOL expanded to an hour just three months after AW did.) The Doctors was still doing well in the ratings in 1975, so an expansion was certainly merited. Does anybody know why The Doctors never expanded?

• Members

NBC did plan to expand The Doctors to an hour.

In 1974, Another World was the highest rated soap on NBC, and Paul Rauch could sell snowcones to Eskimoes, so AW was given the first trial 1 hour episode for its anniversary in May 1974. It was the highest rated episode of any soap opera that week, so plans were quickly made to expand the series permanently. Days of our Lives was the #2 soap on NBC and was also given a 1 hour trial episode which aired in November 1974. Once again, it scored very well in the ratings, even higher than normal episodes. That led to its planned expansion shortly afterward.

However, by the time Days expanded, The Doctors was beginning to slip in the ratings. The Pollocks were leaving, and the stories had become repetitive and not as fulfilling. NBC held off for a while with its possible expansion and finally, in late 1975, the network decided to produce an expanded trial episode for The Doctors. Margaret DePriest pulled out all the stops for the 90 minute special that aired in March 1976. Fan favorite Althea plunged headfirst through a plate-glass window in a very well performed stunt. Rushed to Hope Memorial with bleeding on her brain, Matt Powers sent for Althea's former husband Nick Bellini. TD fans had been waiting impatiently for a year and a half for actor Gerald Gordon's return. Despite heavy promotion and giving the audience a tense, exciting episode, the ratings failed to budge.

NBC gave the show one more chance the following year. For its 14th anniversary episode, there was a special hour-long episode penned by Doug Marland. Again, the storyline was very dramatic, as Ann Larimer prepared to marry Steve Aldrich just as Carolee escaped from the private sanitarium and made her way back to Madison. The series also debuted re-orchestrated theme music and the Y&R style logo. Unfortunately, the ratings were the usual middle of the pack numbers instead of a significant bump. At that point, NBC abandoned the idea of expansion altogether. It really would not have made sense, because once ATWT expanded to an hour in December 1975, Days suddenly saw its ratings dipping, too. Before that, The Doctors may have stood a chance, but by 1977, NBC was well on its way to losing its once powerhouse schedule.

Edited by saynotoursoap