The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Another gift from saynotoursoap. A July 1978 episode, not too long before another July 1978 episode he listed. This has some beautifully written, tender scenes between Greta and her friend, and searing stuff between Steve and Carolee.

no videos

Edited by DRW50

• 1 month later...
  • Members

In August 68,entering her second year as headwriter Rita Lakin worked out a deal with Colgate,NBC etc to co write the show with Rick Edelstein,citing exhaustion at being solo head writer. They each got 16 weeks off per year and shares the more than $100,000 pay check. Lakin communicated with exec producer Allen Potter by mail and a 10 min phone call each week.

By 69 Lakin was working in primetime as story editor for Mod Squad.

• Members

This is great. I love your banner, and I love the article! And continuing on that theme, that's a beautiful shot of Liz Hubbard. Some of the glamour shots of her at that time are framed strangely and just put a big closeup on her nose, but this one is great.

• Members

were friends, but that was all. Then last year Ann decided to take up skiing. Bob, an investment counselor by trade, is a ski enthusiast by choice, and a member of the New York Athletic Club so he arranged to have Ann go on one of the ski tours. He even lent her his skis, a pair of ski boots and three pairs of ski socks! Ann enjoyed her first venture with the sport and was looking forward to her next trip, one on which Bob was also planning to go. They both had dates with others but at the last minute Ann's date couldn't go so she called Bob, as one friend to another, and told him he was stuck with her. And that's how it all started.

Looking back, Ann recalled, "We were engaged for two months and it seemed to be such a long time. For the first ten days of our engagement we couldn't even kiss (that strep throat). Ed was my doctor." We remarked that he seems to be an important person in their lives. "Yes, he is. He even gave us our blood tests before we were married."

In what is probably the understatement of the year, Ann smiled and said, "I think it's going to be nice. This was worth waiting for. I think we have the ideal relationship. We are good companions and we have love on top of that. It's very good that we started out being friends."

Ann and Bob share many interests aside from skiing. Their favorite evening out is going to a really nice restaurant. They worked together deciding how their new home (a penthouse apartment) would be furnished. Each brought some things from their own apartments, both love the Spanish influence and their dining room is furnished completely in that style.

As we listened to Ann relate her real-life love story, we were especially impressed that she was so aware that although she and Bob love each other deeply, there is much more to a good marriage than that. She stressed the fact that they shared interests and tastes, and it was obvious from how she talked that she feels great respect and liking for Bob, in addition to love.

"He's just beautiful. He's very strong and very moral. He wants everything to be just right for us. And he has a great sense of humor. Ed (his roommate) took ribbings from Bob all the time. I made him promise not to play jokes on me like he did on Ed. I couldn't take it."

We were sure that Bob, given the chance, would rhapsodize over Ann just as she was doing over him. Ann smiled, her eyes twinkling with joy over the truth of what we said. "When it works both the same way, it's fantastic."

The Welchs hope to have a big family. Bob comes from a large family and Ann is thrilled with all her new brothers and sisters. She has one brother. Both families get along very well. As a matter of fact, according to Ann: "My mother loves Bob. She warned me if she was 40 years younger, I'd have had to watch out!"

Ann plans to continue in her role as Dr. Maggie Fielding on The Doctors. "Bob doesn't mind," she said. "He just won't get as many home-cooked meals this way, but that's all."

Her talent for acting was evident back in high school in Washington, D.C., when her dramatic efforts won her a four-year scholarship to George Washington University. While still in college she spent summer vacations touring with the road company of Pajama Game, and appearing with professional groups in Washington. At one point she was called to Broadway to understudy Gwen Verdon in New Girl in Town.

Ann's television career ranges from nurse portrayals in Edge of Night to dramatic roles in programs like Kraft Theatre. During the 1960-1961 season she joined the repertory company at the Alley Theatre in Houston, Texas. Upon her return to New York, she was cast as Dr. Erica Brandt in the Young Doctor Malone series. In that part she attracted the attention of the producers of The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore, and they cast her in that play during its first run on Broadway.

But the mood that day was one of romance, not career. Ann's light blue dress set off her expressive eyes which danced with mirth as she recalled an incident that took place last August, when she and Bob were engaged.

"You know the building at 666 Fifth Avenue, where they have the television sets turned on for the public? Well, Bob walked by there one day and it just so happened that they were turned to The Doctors and there was my face looking out at him. A little old lady was staring at the program and he walked over and said to her, 'See that girl? I'm going to marry her!'"

Well, he did, in a lovely formal ceremony that marked the beginning of a good life for the Doctor and her groom.

BY ALICE SCHONINGER