The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just started binge watching a couple of nights ago...just up to Christmas 1967 so far. Trying not to read this thread too far ahead. ;) I was just wondering what is the backstory of Nick, Althea & Liz as a triangle that led to Liz's suicide attempt and Althea's pregnancy?

My mom used to watch this show (and the NBC lineup) when I was a baby but I've never seen it. There's something very familiar about James Pritchett's voice to me, though. Like Douglass Watson's.

• Members

Ann did lose this baby - it's mentioned in one from later 1967.

The backstory, of what I can remember - Liz was working for Nick while he was testing a new formula. She fell in love with him. He'd been seeing Althea, whose son Buddy was sick. She didn't realize how sick, and he died at the hospital while she was in bed with Nick. Meanwhile, Liz was despondent over their relationship, and tested the formula on herself, which led to her having a breakdown and nearly dying. Nick, out of guilt, proposed to her.

• Members

This was such a great show in its prime. I wonder if it would've been more successful during the latter half of the '70s if it had expanded to an hour. Although I suppose even if it had survived, it would inevitably have gotten caught in the NBC daytime downward spiral by the late '70s/early '80s.

Edited by LoyaltoAMC

• Members

Liz Hubbard's second marriage to David Bennett received quite a bit of publicity and produced her son Jeremy.In an interview I saw on Daytime Royalty she mentioned a brief first marriage to an actor that she didn't name.

For anyone interested the marriage took place in May 1960 and the groom was Sidney Kay, also an actor.

• Members

I finally entered the June of 1968 episodes!! I must admit, I found the show boring from the end of the Lilly Anderson cancer story up until the scene were Althea and Nick went to the restaurant with Maggie/Matt. I found Althea and Nick SOOO hot together!! There chemistry is unbeatable!! Now I see why everyone was excited, here, about there wedding.

I also find some of the music great. I do think that if this show were around today it may have a very distinct style to it kinda like Y&R had during the Bill Bell/Kay Alden era. I think I would have given the show a slight neo-noir style. Of course, that may be odd for a medical drama but the scenes with Karen and Steve at her apartment when he was telling her to go after Matt kinda reminded me of one.

I now can't wait to keep watching!! To get caught up gotta watch about 15 episodes a week though. I guess I need to start going to bed early so I can start watching at 5am.

• Members

Liz was also engaged at one point to actor Brian Avery, who played the groom that Elaine Robinson (Katharine Ross) dumped at the altar to run away with Ben Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) in The Graduate.

Jeremy Bennett accompanied his mom to the event for Martha Byrne's Weight, back in October 2014. He was an adorable little boy in the pictures in the vintage articles and grew up to become a VERY good-looking young man.

Does anyone know if David Bennett is still alive? Does anyone know what happened to his fur business - in light of the anti-fur movement in the form of groups like PETA?

I got another autograph success through the mail today from an actor who is not in the reruns we're seeing yet but would become the show's villain du joir in the early 70s - Patrick Horgan (Dr. John Morrison). He also appeared on EON, RH and several other soaps in short-term roles. I also got the autograph of his wife, Susie Bedsow-Horgan, best known for her stint as EP of OLTL in the mid-90s.

• Members

Carl, would you or anyone else here happen to have Part 2 of Jim Pritchett and Lydia Bruce's life stories from Afternoon TV magazine? Part 1 was in the June 1974 issue, I believe. My friend only has the first part - not the following issue that completes the stories. He believes that Beverly Penberthy and Michael Ryan from AW were on the cover of that issue. Thanks in advance for helping!!