The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Cathy predated the Pollocks. She arrived in the spring of 1970 when Ira Avery and Stanley Silverman were head writers. I'd argue that the Pollocks actually ruined the character by taking a sexually free woman and turning her into a clinging baby-obsessed lunatic. 

The forthcoming story you're referring to was actually very well done and riveting. I remember the story sucking me in because it was so real, so true to life. Plus it affects the relationships and friendships of Matt, Maggie, Carolee, and Steve. Very exciting times are ahead with that storyline.

• Members

I know Cenedella has recently taken over as head-writer.. but I have noticed a slight difference in how he and the script writers are handling the day to day... it seems like there are more conversations/character moments then when the Pollock's were head-writers.  i will be interested to see how long he lasts as headwriter before he is given the ax.

• Members

I wonder if Cenedella was always intended to be short term ?

Were the Pollocks poached by GH or did they move there later on? Did they leave TD or contract not renewed?

Lin Bolen was still Daytime chief at this stage. After achieving ratings success with the NBC lineup, ratings started to drop and panic set in. When did she leave?

The AW expansion worked but Days suffered going up against ATWT. TD was under pressure from GL. Perhaps Jeff Young wasnt happy with Cenedella and went with DePriest.

• Members

Amy, a huge belated thank you for letting me know about this! I scanned through June 1974 and was deeply disappointed to see that Dr. Ann was in the operating room for the delivery but had no actual scenes with Toni directly before or after. However after patiently scanning further episodes I finally came upon the July 31st episode when Dr. Ann went into Toni’s hospital room to tell her that Michael Paul’s condition had improved. AT LAST! It's not a particularly lengthy scene but it's so obvious how close Geri and Anna Banana were off camera. THANKS! Now I have the episode on "forever," barring removal. Ah, the beauty of the internet!

Sorry if it has been mentioned here before but Lin Bolen, the NBC Daytime chief, was the inspiration for the character of Diana Christensen played by Faye Dunaway in Network. I can't help but wonder if Bolen "finished up sex" while yammering on about ratings!

Edited by TimWil

• Members

Q: Who were Billy Allison Aldrich's biological parents?  I've always assumed that he was Carolee's son by Dr. Dan Allison.  However, as I rewatched scenes leading up to Dan's suicide, I heard Carolee say that Billy's mother was Barbara Ferra, who was also Toni's mother (IIRC); and I heard Dan say his bio dad was "some musician named Webb."  (Also, now that I think about it, it does seem preposterous for Dan and Carolee to have a 12-year-old son at that point in the story, when Richard Higgs -- a good actor, by the way, who should NOT have been disposed of so quickly, as I think Dan could have been a great antagonist for years to come -- had been on the show for only a year.)

Side question: how were Toni and Billy related to Dan?  Toni called him "Uncle Dan."  Was he a paternal uncle, a maternal one, or...?

• Members

Toni's mother, Barbara Ferra, and Dan's late first wife, Tammy, were sisters. So he was her (and Billy's) maternal uncle by marriage. Toni's father was the late Paolo Ferra, and Barbara left him to run off with a musician named Webb Sutherland. Billy was the product of that relationship. When Billy was born, Barbara gave him to Tammy (who presumably was unable to have children of her own) and Dan, who legally adopted him. Billy learned that he was adopted and that Barbara was his biological mother after Dan's death. 

It's my pleasure. 😊

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

Thanks!

Please register in order to view this content

I guess I had always assumed that Billy was Dan's biological son on account of a statement that Carolee made to Alec Baldwin's Billy, saying he was acting more like Dan than Steve.

I'll never understand why the show took such great pains not only to keep Nick and Althea apart, but to make Nick look like an absolute boor as well.  Especially because, I don't think ANY of Althea's other love interests ever measured up.  Even if Gerald Gordon wouldn't have remained on the show, I don't think he was irreplaceable as Nick, or that Elizabeth Hubbard couldn't have sparked with the right recast.  At the very least, if Bill Bell had written for this show and this couple, I've no doubt that he would have introduced a sibling of Nick's for Althea to become involved with, thereby creating one of his classic love triangles.

Edited by Khan