The Doctors

• Members

I liked today's set of episodes.. where Penny and Mike came face to face.  Both bonded over having difficult relationships with their parents.. and you could see a kinship there.  I think the Pollocks were pretty good.. but I do agree they did like to drag out a story.. but soaps in the 70s generally did drag out stories with huge payoffs.  We all have to remember what we are watching is from the 70s, not 2010s.

After seeing Andy/Stacy in their brief scene... I'm rooting for Penny to break them up... is that bad? LOL

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

True.  And I'm not saying that I mind the glacial and repetitive nature of the Pollocks' storytelling (although I'm certain that other writers from that period -- Bell, Nixon, Lemay, etc. -- did a much finer job of making scenes FEEL not so repetitive) or that the Pollocks didn't know how to pay off any of their stories.  It just seems as if the Pollocks knew how to tell only one KIND of story, and that they had no idea how to write for any character who wasn't crazy, mean-spirited, or annoying.

• Members

The Pollocks have made almost every character unlikeable.  I also didn’t enjoy their obsession with the character of Nick, which still isn’t over, six months after Gerald Gordon left.  Nick could do no wrong in their eyes, no matter how violent, uncaring, and/or misogynistic his behavior. 

• Members

Unlikeable and, IMO, non-relatable.  Nothing that any of these characters is doing makes any sense to me whatsoever.  I just feel like the Pollocks see them as little more than chess pieces.

Edited by Khan

• Members

They brought in Rick, Monica and Jeff Webber and had the Rick/Monica affair while Jeff went nuts. They also did the story with Terri Webber, Joe Dante, and his crazy wife Mary Ellen. I'm not sure what else they worked on. I haven't seen most of that but just going by Schemering's book it was a mess. 

• Members

I find myself bored with the current 1975 episodes. I fast forward most of it. You can see how Ann's personality has seemed to change overnight and she has started to scheme and cause conflict. She started a confrontation with Althea almost out of the blue. Mike is just off the wall and Toni and Alan are zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. They should have kept Margo on the show. The Steve/Carolee/Karen thing is getting old. 

I must have blinked and missed, but whatever happened to that practice that Steve had with Cliff and Ann ? Cliff just disappeared. 

Edited by SoapDope

• Members

Cliff is never seen but sometimes is referred to. Steve and Ann still have their private offices but they are hardly ever there. He seems to be at the hospital more often than not delivering babies, and she's there either pulling clinic duty or consulting on other cases. I have no idea what the point is of keeping them in private practice. 

I don't think it lasts, because what little I've seen of the later episodes has him in his own office in the hospital. That happens sometime between 1975 and 1978.