The Doctors

• Members

I don't think Lipton's dialogue was very good on 'The Doctors,' but it was passable. I did like his headwriting on 'Capitol' in the mid-80s...he was the show's final head scribe during its last year. Maybe because they knew it was ending and wanted to go out with a bang...his last three months on 'Capitol' were extraordinary. So maybe he was a guy who excelled at plotting and not exactly with the day to day scripting.

Edited by JarrodMFiresofLove

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am new to this board and happy to be here.   I actually started watched the Doctors around 1978 with my grandmother and continued till its end in 1982.   I started watching the Retro shows when they were in 1974.  It's fascinating to watch the evolution of a soap opera to its present form.  I know a little bit about the behind-the-scenes as I had some friends who acted on OLTL.   TD had some really natural dialogue and strong acting, although there are a few really poor contributors e.g., Steve Aldrich.   He underplayed every emotion to the point of almost sleepwalking through the role.

Edited by MonaCroft

• Members

One thing I've wanted to ask is how long do these opening credits stay the same? I know there were different openings later on. Does Jeff Young update how the credits look, or does that happen with the next producer?

Also, do people like James Pritchett and Dave O'Brien continue to get special billing at the end of each episode or does the show do away with that later?

• Members

Yes, most likely. Have you seen a lot of episodes at the Paley Center? I always wonder why certain ones are available for viewing and others are not. Are they chosen at random, or maybe the Paley Center is trying to present more groundbreaking episodes from the series.