The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Dancy's have arrived.. at least Jerry and Joan (though at this point, she's just a neighbor with a different last name).  I guess that the start of the family was created by Cenedella.. and expanded by both Depriest and Marland.  Good interplay between Jerry and Penny as well.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

I believe Althea, Penny and Jerry all left the show in May 1977. Liz Hubbard returned to the show in February 1981 and stayed until the series finale in December 1982. Jerry returned in 1981 as well, but was played by a pre-Lost Terry O'Quinn. I don't understand the logic in that recast, either.

I never thought of it that that way, but you're right!! 😂😂😂😂😂

• Members

Eleanor finally debuted... fascinating actress.. reminds me of a more subtle Sandy Dennis (I only knew of her as the grandmother on True Blood).

While the Scott/Wendy/Eleanor trio has given Althea some actual story... I do feel that they're too disconnected from the core hospital grouping.  I guess this is the start of the move away from the hospital to a more traditional soap opera structure.  

What made The Doctors interesting was that the writers employed before Cenedella weren't typical soap opera writers (Lakin especially was fantastic with a good mix of character/plot... and the Pollocks had interesting plots... but their tenure should have probably ended in 1973/1974 instead of mid 1975).  

With that said, I do like there is more depth and dimension to the characters that was absent with the Pollocks.. and I do give Cenedella some props for actually writing for Tom outside of being a watered down Nick... but the problem is that no one really interacted with Tom much outside of Althea/Toni/Martha.. and little focus was given to him before Cenedella that it is difficult to muster much interest in the story (oddly, I do think him and Toni would have been an interesting couple to have explored..oh well).

• Members

The first thing I remember seeing Lois Smith (Eleanor) in was Twister! Like almost every other NYC-based actor, she appeared in the L&O franchise. She played the mother of a mentally retarded rape victim on SVU in 2002, and played the disturbed mother of Stephen Colbert's equally disturbed character in a 2004 CI episode.

I already see the chemistry between Penny & Jerry. Jerry was rather nonchalant over his sisters drug addiction.  It's interesting i always thought DePriest created the Dancy siblings and the Conrad's. But it was Cenedella  in his all to brief HW run. Tom was becoming an interesting character. A shame he'll meet his demise soon. So many changes good and bad will befall the Doctors soon. Sadly some of these changes will lead to it's demise. Who's played Jerry? The actors face is familiar. But can't place it. I can't wait to see Althea and crazy Eleanor  battle over Scott. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I happened to see a July 1976 episode once a long time ago (Depriest was writing).. and all i can say is that the next six to seven month will be interesting (i.e. it's very different).  It seemed just from the one episode I saw of Depriest that she wrote more mystery/action then Cenedella.

I can't remember the actor that plays Jerry.. but I know he was on ATWT as the guy that Iva ends up marrying... and on OLTL as a homophobic father of Ryan Phillipe's character.