Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Members

I was watching an episode from a few weeks ago Australia pace (late  April  UK pace), and when Chloe and Terese were talking about generating buzz for an event, they mentioned Edward Skylover, and said the buzz he made was huge. Edward created a big fan petition to try and save the show. I am not sure if that's the  same @Skyloverwho posted here, but either way, nice that they honored a dedicated fan that way.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks! 

I'm devastated about the end of Neighbours, moreso because it feels like a victim of circumstance than anything else. Actors have mentioned in interviews that Channel 5 lost a lot of sponsorship after COVID, and I think that combined with the racism allegations have basically killed off the show, as well as the greed from Fremantle. What is hard for me to get my head around is that the ratings are still good in the UK. I know its home country doesn't care about the show, but I really thought Channel 5 would see how important it is to their schedule. I can't see it getting any other show that would draw in those audiences 5 times a week.

The real shame is that it looks like Neighbours was finally going through a creative renewal. They finally got rid of the Cannings who were bringing the show down (Sheila through circumstance more than anything else, probably), the fandom had been calling for a new family for ages and the producers finally introduced the Rodwells. Jane's son Byron has been cast in what is likely to be a fleeting role considering the show is ending. Seeing Byron and the Rodwells (even in promo pics, Byron is yet to appear) is just a sad reminder of how much potential the show still has.

Having said all that, 2021 was a bad year for the show creatively, and a lot of returnees have appeared in the last few years with little purpose. I was heavily critical at the time, but with hindsight, I can see the producers were trying to bring back old characters because it might've been their last chance. So I'm a bit more forgiving in retrospect. I still wish some of the newer, fresher characters like Brent had been added to the regular cast in the final year, but I'm still enjoying the show and 2022 has been much better than 2021. I'm enjoying it much more than EastEnders, and I have set H&A on record but it has no soul - my box has 58 episodes on it and I can't bring myself to watch them. I may do at some point.

It's been a bittersweet time for me as a Neighbours fan and a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. As you mentioned, I started that petition to try and save the show which got over 67,000 signatures, the show gave me a shoutout and when I returned from some time away, I received a letter in the post from Jason Herbison. I wrote to him at the end of 2021 saying how much I thought Brent should be a regular character, and Jason wrote a letter back, saying the writers really love Brent too - and he must have showed actor Texas the letter too as he wrote a little something back and there was a photo enclosed of him holding a piece of paper saying 'Thanks Edward for the support!' I got it professionally framed and it's now hung up on my wall. There was also the drawing an artist made of most of the cast from the show's 37 year history which I'll post below. Many fans bought a copy on Etsy and I got that framed too.

When the show gave me the shoutout, I tweeted about it, and thanked writer Shane Isheev who I was told is instrumental in writing fan shoutouts. I jokingly tweeted that the icing on the cake would be for them to send Brent over to the UK! 

Please register in order to view this content

Next thing I know I have a DM from Shane who'd asked Texas to send me a video message thanking me for my support! They really do appreciate their fans and the way the community has been there for each other at this horrible time is so touching.

On the NeighboursFans forum, we recently conducted a vote where members voted for their Top 12 Neighbours characters of all time. I'll post the results of that here too. If people are interested, me and my friend Liam wrote up some commentary for the Top 50 which I can post here too. I bought my VIP ticket for the Neighbours Farewell tour in March 2023 and look forward to meeting some of the actors!

Here are the Greatest Neighbours Characters results:

Edited by Skylover

• Members

Thanks @Skylover . I'd love  to read your commentary.  

Last year I would have said H&A (which I hadn't really paid much attention to modern years of because I  heard it was often just about the River Boys and crime) was in a better place than Neighbours, but this year, Neighbours has turned things around, due to choices like ending the throuple story and the evil Harlow story, and clearing out the Cannings (as whatever went on backstage with Colette cast a pall over her scenes). There are still some issues for me (I am...never going to be interested in Chloe's love life, and the Paul/Terese merry-go-round isn't to my taste either). but  most of the show is in a good place - a strong cast, good returns (Glen) and new characters (Zara, Kiri, etc.), and the writing is very well-balanced and well-paced. I still like H&A well enough, but that's more down to a number of the  core cast  (like Roo, Marilyn, Palmer, Irene, etc.) and then a few others like Mac - the show is extremely aimless at present and is bleeding cast. I wrote up  Logan's exit in the H&A thread if you want to take a gander. To be honest I think if  you showed someone a new H&A episode and a new Neighbours episode, they'd think H&A was going off the air. 

• Members

People seem more fond of H&A than Neighbours! That has been the case since like forever.. Even in the UK most fans love Neighbours but prefer H&A coz it had a smooth transition and came around this century. The issues Neighbours had were that people were hung up on nostalgia. Everytime something  got reported about Neighbours they used some picture from the 80‘s. That told me everything I needed to know.

Neighbours has been struggling storywise for ages. Last time people really talked about the show was when Dee/Andrea showed up! That gave Neighbours some buzz. And when the Tyler and Piper pairing was going on. The only thing after that was maybe the 35th anniversary arc and the comebacks. That buzz had more to do with nostalgia again coz of all the old characters being back for a while.

Nostalgia killed Neighbours. I mean I love Kylie and saw her live twice but to bring her up constantly after 30 years just showed me that no one really watched that show!

im upset about the ending but I expected it a lot sooner tbh. Since 2012 the show had been struggling over there in Australia! We can be thankful that C5 was patient enough with it.

Home and Away is Lucky enough to hit the zeitgeist. They have sponsorships and product placement. They had an article about how much money they brought in since 1988. no wonder they never gave up on it. Neighbours relied to heavily on Channel 5. 

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• Members

It's completely the other way round in the UK. Neighbours is far more fondly regarded than Home and Away here, and is watched by a lot more people (at least double or triple the viewers in the UK). Most of the reactions from Joe Public are that they're surprised Neighbours is going over H&A. People in the UK don't know that H&A is more popular in Australia (and they also generally find this surprising).

I wouldn't say nostalgia killed Neighbours at all. If anything, I think it kept it going for much longer than it might have. Neighbours had a huge cultural impact in the UK that H&A never really had, so Neighbours was always going to be more focused on nostalgia. It's costs, the greed of Fremantle, COVID, racism and the lack of support from the Australian audience that has caused the demise of Neighbours. 

I am concerned for H&A. I don't expect it to reach its 40th anniversary in 2028, and now Neighbours has been axed, I can see Seven losing interest. They say they're committed but I'm not convinced. I want H&A to continue, because it's important for the Australian television industry. 

I think they've done really well with the new cast; Kiri, Freya, Zara, I'm really looking forward to seeing Byron. The Rodwells are a bit hit and miss but I'm enjoying seeing a new family. Hendrix's death has been very good, have you seen that yet?

Here's the Top 20 

19th place (joint):
Naomi Canning | 87 points

naomi_canning.jpg
Kicking off our 20 greatest characters is the highest-scoring member of the Canning clan on this list, the inimitable Naomi. Queen of poor life choices and deliciously self-deprecating about it, Naomi seldom means any harm, but usually ends up causing it anyway, and often in the name of love. Among her graveyard of doomed romantic exploits were a 'wild past' with billionaire Pierce Greyson, an ill-fated crush on Toadie, a high-risk fling with teenager Josh Willis, and a brief and at times hilarious relationship with Mark Brennan, before settling into a rash engagement with Diablo himself, Paul Robinson; so it was little surprise to learn that her offscreen American fiancé has recently carked it. Naomi's relatively short tenure as a regular from 2014-15 makes it all the more impressive that she's scored so highly, much of which can be attributed to a quirky, comedic and charismatic performance by Morgana O'Reilly that ensured she departed Erinsborough leaving viewers wanting much more.

19th place (joint):
Hendrix Greyson | 87 points

hendrix_greyson.png
One of the final teen characters to enjoy a full-length stint on the show, rich kid Hendrix has undergone a traditional bad-boy-come-good arc since descending on Ramsay Street in 2019. Recency bias arguably explains some of the points he's accrued in this poll - though what perhaps truly raises the character above average is a standout, sassy and at times deeply moving performance by the excellent Ben Turland, which has widely been regarded as among the current show's strongest, winning Hendo a firm place in the hearts of fellow residents and viewers alike. From his initial pushback against the affections of billionaire father Pierce and his crush on stepmum Chloe, to a doomed relationship with Harlow that finally gave way to true love with Mackenzie and reconciliation with his dad, Hendrix's questionable choices along the way have led to the development of a strong moral compass, and he now stands as one of the most beloved current characters, placing third in our annual poll last year.

18th place:
Lyn Scully | 88 points

lyn_scully.jpg
What Top 20 could be complete without Queen Lynnie, one of Ramsay Street's most memorable matriarchs? With a big heart and even bigger hair, Lyn's far from flawless as a parent or a person, but her utter devotion to Oscar, Michelle, Jack, Flick and Stephie can never be disputed. As one of the most enduring members of the Scully clan, with two regular stints and a few guest spots to boot over a 20-year period, Lyn proved she had staying power way beyond her long marriage to Joe and indeed that of most of her kids, later becoming a grandmother figure to Steph's stepdaughter Summer, and even entering into short-lived wedlock with Paul Robinson. For some, Lyn is a Marmite figure or a character best enjoyed in moderation: her mother-hen routine has been known to manifest as mollycoddling, while a bitter streak towards those who have crossed her or her brood can occasionally leave her looking like the one in the wrong. But for many, it seems, a well-meaning soft centre makes her faults easy to forgive.

17th place:
Mrs Mangel | 116 points

Mrs Mangel Screenshot 1.jpg
While enjoying a stint of little more than two years back in the mid-to-late eighties, waspish Mrs Mangel's reputation as Erinsborough's most belligerent busybody has endured through the ages, inevitably earning her a spot in our Top 20. Referred to almost universally by honorific and surname only, more out of fear than respect (except by long-suffering granddaughter Jane Harris, to whom she was always 'Nan'), Nell's reputation for nosiness and nastiness preceded her - though she wasn't all bad, reserving a small soft spot in her heart for Bouncer the dog. Vivean Gray's iconic portrayal was so effective that, in her words, she 'could barely set foot outside my own door without someone screaming abuse at horrid old Mrs Mangel' - a response that sadly drove Vivean to wrap up her role long before its time, and saw Mrs Mangel decamp to the UK with new love John for a surprise happy ending. But her barbed-wire barnet still haunts Erinsborough today, immortalised in Helen Daniels' legendary portrait.

16th place:
Joe Mangel | 122 points

joe_mangel.jpg
From one Mangel to another, Nell's son Joe simply couldn't have fallen further from the tree. Characterised as the archetypal easygoing Aussie bloke, Joe's cheery, larrikin persona was the ultimate antidote to his mother's mean-spirited, meddling ways. Drafted in during 1988, he went on to keep the legendary Mangel name alive over the course of a three-year stint which has rendered him more or less as memorable as his mum, if this poll is anything to go by. Joe was soon thrust into the role of family man, taking on responsibility for son Toby, the product of a marriage predating his time on Ramsay Street. His second marriage to Kerry Bishop ended with her tragic death, leaving Joe with a second child, Sky, before finding happiness and an exit with third wife Melanie. Joe's return in the noughties to reconnect with a teenage Sky saw him shoehorned into a romance with Lyn Scully, generating a more mixed response from fans, but he's still fondly remembered as one of Neighbours' all-time greats.

15th place:
Sky Mangel | 135 points

sky_mangel.png
The highest Mangel in our vote, Sky was re-introduced in 2003 played by the very talented Stephanie McIntosh, who put a new spin on the character and played a part in revitalising Harold and in turn, the show. Her early return storylines were heavily emotive by drawing on history, as Sky confronted the man who killed her mother Kerry at a duck hunting protest years earlier. Sky very much took after her mother, whose presence was continuously felt, especially when Sky read her diaries in 2006, which convinced her to keep her own baby despite her young age. Sky's relationships with Boyd, Lana and Dylan all had their fans, and in the 4 years she was with Neighbours, Stephanie made a huge impact as Sky, especially when her character befriended Lana, who was the first prominent lesbian character at a time when minority representation in the media was rare. Many wish Sky and Lana had become a couple at the time, and producers honoured this years later when Sky and Lana finally married as part of the 35th anniversary celebrations.

14th place:
Libby Kennedy | 149 points

Libby Screenshot 5.jpg
As the longest-running Kennedy child, Libby rightly earns a place in the Top 15, presumably owed to the fact that Kym Valentine has put in some outstanding performances over the years, most notably when she lost her husband Drew to a horse-riding accident back in 2002, and when her mother Susan miscarried her surrogate baby back in 2009. The first ten years of her stint are more fondly remembered than the 2007-2011 reprise, as the character suffered so much tragedy in her later stint, though Kym's performances were still frequently breathtaking, particularly in the motel scenes she shared with Steph in 2010 prior to the fatal accident killing Ringo. The on screen chemistry Kym had with Alan and Jackie who played her parents Karl and Susan was in a league of its own, as was the friendship between Steph and Libby. Fans have been desperate for Libby to return to the show since her last appearance in 2014, and while it hasn't transpired, there are a good 20 years worth of episodes you can watch to see Kym in action.

13th place:
Julie Martin | 159 points

julie_martin_i.jpg julie_martin_ii.jpg
A remarkable placing for Julie, given she only appeared as part of the original cast for less than a year back in 1985, before being re-cast and appearing for two years from 1992 to 1994. Despite 28 years having passed since her death, Julie still holds a special place in the hearts of many Neighbours fans and it's not difficult to see why. Julie Mullins taking on the role in 1992 is praised as one of the best re-casts the show has ever done, not only in terms of physical appearance but in how she was performed by both actresses. Julie was played with warmth, humour and vulnerability. Deeply conflicted, it wasn't hard to empathise with her despite how abrasive she seemed on the surface. Step-son Michael didn't succeed in killing her, but her inner battles eventually took their toll, when she fell from a tower while intoxicated, having felt she had failed her marriage and family. Ambiguous as to whether Julie intentionally committed suicide, this is the only time Neighbours has touched upon this subject on screen, but it remains one of the most memorable moments the show has aired to date.

12th place:
Lou Carpenter | 182 points

lou_carpenter.jpg
Lovable rogue Lou first appeared in 1988, before being re-introduced in 1992 as a regular character, going on to become one of the show's longest-running residents. Quite remarkably, he was axed in 1996 but as his character would have done, Tom Oliver mischievously called up Woman's Own magazine in the UK to give them the exclusive that he had been axed, causing uproar which prompted the character to be reinstated. It's hard to imagine Lou not being around after that time, as he was a consistent and comforting presence in the show, and arguably one of the show's finest patriarchs. His well-received relationships with Madge and Cheryl provided plenty of story material during the 90s, but Lou's defining relationship was arguably with Harold in the 2000s and the way actors Tom Oliver and Ian Smith played off each other led to their friendship becoming one of the most-loved in the series. It's perhaps surprising that Lou hasn't cracked the Top 10 given his longevity, but fans have criticised the way the character was under-used in later years.

11th place:
Steph Scully | 188 points

steph_scully.png
A case of right place, right time, Carla Bonner just happened to be sitting in her agent's office when Jan Russ called, frantically trying to replace the original Steph, whose actress had dropped out after 3 weeks of filming. Probably for the best, as Steph Scully went on to become one of the most prolific characters in the show's history, while actress Carla took on any challenge thrown her way. Suffering from cancer twice over, once while pregnant, a failed marriage and falling pregnant to her best friend's husband, her most controversial storyline was running down and killing Ringo Brown while over the limit on her motorbike. Fans were appalled by how the character was being written, but rejoiced in her redemption arc when Carla agreed to return in 2015; an arc which ultimately made Steph feel like a more relatable character. Throughout her struggles, Steph's heart shone through and we were right by her side, resulting in her almost being voted into the Top 10 greatest Neighbours characters of all time. She also marks the highest Scully in this vote, which is well earned given Carla's extraordinary contribution to the show.

10th place:
Terese Willis | 210 points
terese_willis.png.d7867de1e9de854dabdc6ffa7e77cbf9.png
It's perhaps no huge surprise that Terese has made the Top 10, given how popular she's proved in our annual polls - winning second place in 2020 and rising to first in 2021. But given the stiff competition in the all-time contest, including from leapfrogged stalwarts Lou and Steph, it's still a hugely impressive result. No-nonsense hospitality doyenne Terese arrived among an intake of two large new family units back in 2013, and is the only character among the Willises or Turners to have stood the test of time to the present day. With kids Josh, Imogen and Piper all long gone, Terese outlasted her marriage to Brad and an unfortunate interim relationship with Gary Canning, battling cancer and alcoholism along the way, to become the sixth bride of co-hotelier Paul Robinson, an arrangement which drew long-running hotel wars to an amicable close - that is, up until the recent breakdown in relations, which has seen Terese at her raging, volcanic best. Despite her workaholic tendencies, her devotion to family has remained in evidence - having in more recent years welcomed stepdaughter Paige, stepson Ned and niece Roxy under her wing at the house of trousersuit.

9th place:
Helen Daniels 
 | 213 points
helen_daniels.png.995906d6497898ff76916c2fa635f4f3.png
Neighbours just wouldn't be Neighbours without the legacy of Helen Daniels, one of the show's original characters who would remain at its heart for the first twelve years of its run, beloved actress Anne Haddy remaining fiercely loyal to the show until illness made it increasingly difficult for her to continue. A doting grandmother to Paul, Julie, Scott and Lucy and constant support to their father, Helen's widowed son-in-law Jim. She would go on to nurture a whole generation of Ramsay Street teens passing through - be they distant or surprise relatives, family friends or, in later years, the offspring of her own grandchildren. An artist at heart and with a wit, wisdom and sometimes wicked sense of humour, she was a reassuring and comforting presence to those lucky enough to call her 'Gran'. She was also the keystone of the wider community; be they friend - Maria or Madge in the early days - or foe-  such as the poisonous Mrs Mangel - Helen could defuse many a neighbourly dispute with some stern words and a twinkle in her eye. Her death in 1997, falling peacefully to sleep on the sofa surrounded by friends and family, remains among the show's most moving moments.

8th place:
Madge Bishop
 | 268 points
madge_bishop.jpg.5307b298245ca7c6e242eab10ad4d0ad.jpg
One of Ramsay Street's most formidable figures, Madge arrived in 1986 to expand the bounds of the central Ramsay clan following the departure of mum Maria - whipping brother Max and sons swiftly into shape before being joined by her own kids, Charlene and Henry. Plain-speaking and hot-headed, Madge's choice of soulmate was a surprise to some: mild-mannered fuddy-duddy Harold. Chalk and cheese they were, but indisputably made for one another, forging one of Neighbours' great enduring partnerships. While many longer-term fans feel that Madge was different in personality on her return from a four-year break in 1996 and had lost some of the fire in her belly, the mellower Madge nonetheless became a beloved and entertaining presence for a whole new generation of fans, arguably taking on some of the grandmotherly tendencies lost to the show with Helen's death in 1997, such as by welcoming lost boys Paul McClain and Tad Reeves into her home. When Madge succumbed to pancreatic cancer in 2001, breaking Harold's heart and rocking his long-held faith, not only were there no dry eyes in Ramsay Street, but also in living rooms worldwide, as viewers mourned this most memorable of matriarchs.

7th place:
Izzy Hoyland 
| 279 points
isabelle_hoyland.png.d1ef922258db1b162b172d56d4ec32bd.png
Next on our countdown is the irrepressible Isabelle Hoyland, who steals seventh place as Erinsborough's most venerated vixen. Descending on Ramsay Street like a whirlwind in 2003 as the naughty little sister of reliable family man Max, Izzy quickly set her sights on neighbourhood doctor Karl Kennedy, initially as a scapegoat on whom to pin her pregnancy to family foe Gus Cleary; but later, Izzy had a baby with Karl for real, Holly, forcing Susan to contend with the terrifying notion of Izzy's long-term presence in their life. Whether she's manipulating her nearest and dearest or swiping swimmers from a fertility bank, Izzy knows what she wants and, boy, will she move mountains to get it; though a nuanced performance by the wonderful Natalie Bassingthwaighte always took care to ensure viewers retained a significant degree of fondness and sympathy for the 'misunderstood' minx. Izzy's relationship with Karl and bitter rivalry with Susan generated some of the show's most entertaining and memorable melodrama which, we think it's fair to suggest, heavily contributed to fans' perception of a mid-noughties 'golden era' coinciding with much of Izzy's stint.

6th place:
Sonya Rebecchi 
| 301 points
sonya_rebecchi.jpg.ab39e3fee57fbffbd2fecfbe1ff027e7.jpg
Fans still aren't over the tragic loss of lovely Sonya three years ago, and little wonder: she's one of those rare creations that seems to epitomise the spirit of Neighbours, embodying the best of the show's comedy, drama and pathos with equal aplomb. Played with heaps of humour and heart by the excellent Eve Morey, earth-mother Sonya first arrived in 2009 as Toadie's dog-walking love interest, and was later revealed to be the biological mum of his adoptive son, Callum - the real reason, we were told, for her arrival in the first place. The plot shone a spotlight on Sonya's troubled, addictive past, but also explained so much about her best qualities: her empathy, her belief in forgiveness, and her drive to help others overcome their demons. In 2017, Sonya and Toadie's long-running relationship faced its biggest threat when dead wife Dee seemingly sashayed back into town. In fact her identical twin, Andrea tempted the Toad into infidelity and broke Sonya's heart, leading to her relapse. But nothing could keep these soulmates apart for long - until that devastating day on the beach, that is, when she urged Toadie with her final breath to find happiness again.

5th place:
Toadie Rebecchi | 303 points

toadie_rebecchi.jpg
Having played various minor guest roles such as Cyborg in the 90s, Ryan Moloney couldn't shake characters with interesting names to say the least, when he was cast as guest character Toadfish Rebecchi in early 1995 as the brother of established character Stonefish. Eventually promoted to regular status, he was joined by the rest of his family, before moving in with the Kennedys in the late 90s when all of his family were already long gone. Going on to become one of the show's longest-running residents, Toadie found love with good-hearted Dee Bliss, who he disastrously lost at sea on their wedding day when he drove over a cliff into the ocean. Her body was never recovered, and Toadie settled into life at the House of Trouser, before having relationships with Sindi, Genevieve, Steph, Katya and Kelly, and then settling down with his next love Sonya. Things didn't run smoothly when it was revealed that Sonya was in fact the mother of Toadie's adoptive son Callum, but it was meant to be. Dee's identical twin sister caused trouble when she posed as the real Dee, having returned from the dead, but it turns out Dee was still alive after all. Toadie was heartbroken when he lost Sonya to cervical cancer, but he eventually found happiness again with zany Melanie Pearson. Having lived through so much on Ramsay Street, it's not hard to see why Toadie comes in at Number 5.

4th place:
Karl Kennedy | 308 points

karl_kennedy.png
Having previously played car mechanic Greg Cooper opposite Kylie Minogue's Charlene in 1987, Alan Fletcher took on the role of Dr Karl in 1994, moving into Ramsay Street as part of the new Kennedy family, along with his wife Susan and their kids, Malcolm, Libby and Billy. Not initially popular during the panned 1995 season, the Kennedys went on to become extremely revered, in part thanks to iconic storylines such as Karl's illicit kiss with Sarah Beaumont in late 1997, which resulted in the iconic Slap from Susan, and his relationship with manipulative Isabelle Hoyland, when he realised he wasn't happy with his life. Two lost souls drawn together, it wasn't to last, as Karl's draw to Susan proved too strong, yet Izzy's presence loomed over them in the form of Karl and Izzy's daughter, Holly, who she gave birth to on the Thames while extraordinarily crossing paths again with Karl and Susan. Karl took on the role of step-father to Susan's latest brood, Katya, Rachel and Zeke, before taking on a number of other young characters at Number 28 over the years. Karl had a penchant to dig out his guitar and sing bad songs he wrote with his old band The Right Prescription, but it's his 28-year-long on screen partnership with Jackie Woodburne aka Susan, which is most remarkable, and possibly the most iconic marriage on Australian television. Will we ever find out what's in the Blue Box? 

3rd place:
Paul Robinson | 324 points
paul_robinson.jpg
The only original character who remains in the regular cast today, Paul was shot by his first wife Terry at the end of 1985, which set him on a path of self-destruction as far as his romantic life was concerned. Having married and divorced Gail, Christina, Lyn and Rebecca, it seemed like things might've been on the up when he settled down with 6th wife Terese, but his immoral behaviour, such as paying the mother of his grandchild Nicolette $1m to stay away, proved too much for Terese to bear, and she opted for a divorce. Having fathered 7 children to 4 mothers, Paul has packed a lot into his life, and things have rarely run smoothly. Being an absent father had a profound effect on triplets Robert, Elle and Cameron, with Robert resorting to blowing up a plane and trapping Paul down a mineshaft, thanks to the deep emotional trauma he experienced by being abandoned as a child. Many believe Paul was ruined beyond repair when he was revealed to be the arsonist who burned down the Lassiters Complex at the end of 2004, becoming a murderer in the process - a far cry from the quiet days he spent at Number 26 with father Jim and gran Helen when he was growing up. Nevertheless, no-one can deny how talented actor Stefan Dennis is, who has taken everything in his stride, and has become extremely fond of Neighbours over the years, having initially not wanted to take on the role in favour of a big film, which ironically ended up being a big Box Office flop.

2nd place:
Harold Bishop | 439 points
harold_bishop.png
Introduced as Madge's old high school boyfriend from way back, religious vegetarian Harold arrived at Number 24 back in 1987, greeted by Charlene dressed in a clown's outfit, hoping to cheer up Clive. His chalk and cheese marriage to Madge was one of the classic unions of early Neighbours, but like fellow favourites Lou and Sonya, Harold was also remarkably axed, in a misstep that saw him lost at sea in 1991, much to Madge's devastation. When Neighbours drifted off course in the mid 90s, pardon the pun, producers made their boldest move yet, by bringing Harold back from the dead, and he'd been living as a man called Ted, who was working for the Salvation Army and suffering from amnesia. After reuniting, Harold and Madge spent another 5 years back in Erinsborough before she sadly passed away in 2001, which was the ultimate test of Harold's faith. He faced another tragedy in 2005 when most of his family died in a plane crash. Granddaughter Sky kept him going, and it's no surprise that Harold appears at Number 2 in this vote, as his character is the epitome of what Neighbours represents about community, friendship and morality. He was the backbone of the show for such a long time and gave it heart. When you think of Neighbours, Harold is one of the first characters who springs to mind, which is testament to how iconic and beloved both Ian Smith and Harold are.

1st place:
Susan Kennedy | 454 points
susan_kennedy.png
Over her 28 years in Erinsborough, Susan has been involved in too many storylines to mention, including suffering from amnesia after slipping on some milk, receiving a diagnosis of MS, being a surrogate for her daughter Libby, surviving a plane crash and dating a priest. But her most notable storylines have been when her husband Karl has strayed, first with Sarah Beaumont, and later with Izzy Hoyland. Arguably a defining moment in her time on Ramsay Street, the 2004 separation from Karl allowed us to see another side to Susan, and alongside her sparring with Izzy, we saw her grow and find her independence, as well as provide a home for Sindi and Stingray, which was one of the more entertaining living arrangements we've seen. Never apart for long, Karl and Susan were drawn to each other again, and it's one of the most enduring screen partnerships on Australian television. While Susan has been a brilliant character, Jackie as an actress has truly given us some outstanding performances over the years which tug at the heartstrings, such as when Susan found out Karl had kissed Sarah, her reaction to being diagnosed with MS, and the time Zeke was presumed dead after a rafting accident. British actor Eddie Redmayne even once thanked Alan and Jackie, citing them as role models when he won Best Actor at the Oscars. Harold was in the lead for most of this vote, before Susan pipped him to the post in the final days of voting, which almost seems fitting, given that the Kennedys essentially became the characters to represent the heart of the show once Harold's long tenure had finished. One of the saddest things about the end of Neighbours is the thought of no longer seeing Karl and Susan, who have become the surrogate parents and grandparents to generations, but we're sure Alan and Jackie will never be far from our screens.

Edited by Skylover

• Members

@Skylover Thank you for sharing the writeups! Beautifully put together, detailed without seeming laborious. I always feel like I missed the better periods for characters like Libby and Lou...so many fans seemed to hate everything with Libby after her return. Interesting that Scott and Charlene weren't in there, but I totally understand why. 

I agree that I don't see H&A lasting to 2028, if any soap does (if any of us do). I hope 7 does genuinely support them. I sometimes wonder if H&A has more longevity in Australia because they have more stereotypically Australian roots (many beach shots, and Alf Roberts), but I can't say. 

I don't know if they ever considered it or not but I wish they'd brought Lance back to interact with Amy before the show ends.  

Edited by DRW50

• Members

@SkyloverI wanted to apologize. It seems like I’m a bit too harsh on Neighbours and seem quiet hating on it. I‘m sorry. It‘s a great show and I even supported the show for as long as I can remember.

But why didn’t they tried to find a new home earlier? Why didn’t they tried to branch out more in Australia? Why did they rely so heavily on the UK? (those are questions that come into my mind and it irritates me that they relied so heavily on Channel 5 and not their home.)

I think between 2020-2022 Neighbours had not much going on. There were a few highlights but nothing worth watching it for.

Killing off Sonia’s character to trim down the budget but investing it into Characters/Cast Member no one cares for was one of the biggest mistakes in Neighbours history.

Im also not fond of Toadies girlfriend. I hoped for a Dee/Toadie reunion since I was 12/13. They finally brought her back and ditched it. When I heard they cancel Neighbours i still hoped for a Love comeback but I gave up on it.

Why would anyone think H&A won‘t survive? They bring in money, solid ratings, winning awards.. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10877561/amp/Home-Away-brings-1billion-export-revenue-Neighbours-says-goodbye.html

• Members

No need to apologise

You're perfectly within your rights to not like Neighbours, or prefer H&A. I don't like H&A much anymore, as it comes across as pretty soulless.

Rumour has it they were trying to find a new UK home for Neighbours ages ago, probably mid 2021, when Channel 5 told Fremantle it's possible they wouldn't renew after another year. I don't think it's very likely another Australian broadcaster would have taken on Neighbours, as it wasn't popular on TEN, so it would have been a ricky investment for another Australian broadcaster. They relied so heavily on the UK because that's where the audience is, and it's why Neighbours has continued for so long. Neighbours has stayed on the air because of the UK since pretty much 1992, and has been almost solely made for the UK audience since 2010. I do think TEN could have done more. They should never have moved it to a digital channel in 2011, and should have given it some more time to recover from the Susan Bower years. Certainly from 2015 to 2018 it was going through a very good spell, and 2011-2014 wasn't bad. But, a lot of people seem to be at fault here. TEN should have done more, and should have contributed more towards production costs, however I get the impression Fremantle are greedy and always played hard ball with negotiations. The guy who runs Channel 5 doesn't seem to like Neighbours either, despite the fact 5 will lose a lot of viewers once the show ends. They've shot themselves in the foot. TEN, 5 and Fremantle could all have done more.

2020 is one of my favourite modern years of the show, with the Aaron, David, Brent and Emmett storyline, and the 35th anniversary. 2019 and 2021 were two of the worst years in recent history though. 2022 it's got back on course for me, but it seems to be going off the boil a bit with the two-dimensional story about Terese's mum Estelle and Byron will apparently be a gigolo, which is disappointing.

It was a mistake to ever bring Dee back, as Madeleine West wasn't able to come back as a regular, so they should have left well alone. I like Melanie, but I agree her and Toadie aren't suited.

I read that report. You have to wonder why that report was commissioned. You have to wonder why H&A needs to prove its worth? Perhaps Seven are trying to get the government to contribute costs. I'm not sure the reason, but I don't think H&A is anywhere near as safe as people think.

Yeah, that is interesting. Scott and Charlene's wedding is obviously iconic, but from what I've seen, their characters are ok but not up there with the best.

Edited by Skylover

• Members

You mean Darius Perkins? Dieter Brummer played Shane Parrish in H&A in the 90s (and also Troy Miller from 2011-2012 in Neighbours).

I also liked Scott I better than Scott II played by Jason Donovan. I don't know what it is, but apart from 1985, I can't get into the other 80s years. I much prefer the 90s onwards. Yes, that David/Leo retcon with Kim was a mess!

Edited by Skylover