Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I had no idea she would die this soon. Even in the episode itself, it came so early, pulling the rug out from under me. I knew something prominent was going to happen when the show started with the music, but nothing could have prepared me for what followed, which was gut-wrenching. As someone who feels Moira's best friendship is with Vanessa, it was nice to see them bonding again. It's been too long. I didn't even speculate that it wasn't drugs that killed her because I was so caught up in the tragedy. I just assumed what someone in the episode said (I literally just watched it so I don't know why I don't remember) about her being tempted at her friend's wedding. It'll be bittersweet if she didn't indeed relapse, and I hope that's the case. Moira deserves that small, yet hollow break.

I give all the kudos in the world to Iain Mcleod, his team, and Sophie Powles. When Holly originally left, I don't think anyone, myself included, was upset to see her go. Her return announcement left me puzzled as to why anyone would even bother. However, the soap Gods did something that I love when it happens. They succeeded past my low expectations by leaps and bounds and provided probably the best story of the year. Powles has grown so much an actress, putting in some performances I will never forget. Natalie J. Robb has been and will continue to be a revelation, but Powles especially should be so proud of what she accomplished this year. Now, instead of being a blip I couldn't care less about, she'll have left an indelible mark I'll never forget.

First Donna, now Holly. Who is going to come back for a limited return and die tragically next?

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

Probably Amy...

The idea was Kate Oates but I imagine a lot of the execution was Macleod, as the last 3-4 months of her return felt very different in tone to the start. And it was so often just so emotional and real, and there were the surprising touches I thought I might hate but instead unfolded so beautifully, like her relationship with Jai. I wish we'd had more with Holly and Adam, or even Holly and Aaron, but these last weeks with Moira and Holly were so precious. I'm not sure where the story is going next, if it will be a mystery or vengeance, etc. but hopefully the incredible tone and detail of these two episodes will be kept up.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I wonder if Cain's remark to Holly on last Monday's episode-"You're just a smackhead"-will somehow be brought up in the weeks ahead. I don't think it will have been overheard, though. Maybe it's in a diary/journal of Holly's and Moira will discover it?

I couldn't help but think of what the character Paul says to Ouisa in the play/film Six Degrees of Separation-he says something like "I never take drugs when I'm sad. I only take 'em when I'm happy!" 

Edited by TimWil

• Members

I'm pretty sure it will be James, although I wouldn't be surprised if someone not in it dies, a minor character (I like Ronnie but his story seems to be over). 

It's a waste in terms of suspense, but I did enjoy it. It was very stylish, especially the Laurel and Ashley portion.