Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks. I guess this will be something about child abuse, which will be a topic Emmerdale hasn't covered in a while. I'm glad they are going to reveal this sooner rather than later because I think if it becomes too much of a mystery people will focus on that and not on the actual problem.

"Slow-bedding" is an understatement for the slow pace with the Sharma brothers. It has been a year or more. I give them both credit for not already planning to leave, because Chris Bisson was in quite a lot before this and he's a very good actor, and Rik was in Torchwood Children of Earth not long before Emmerdale. I really hope they will stay on the show and the show will start writing more for them.

• Members

Mark Charnock and Andy Devine are both doing a great job in this story about Shadrach's drinking. It's so hard to watch though. I do like the bond between Rhona and Marlon, I think they work very well together. Marlon's speech about how anyone else who ordered drinks before lunch would be a cause for concern, but no one cares if it's Shadrach, was a strong moment. So was that conversation between Laurel and Shadrach.

The whole idea of Nicola buying the pub seems odd to me, and not something she would do. I wonder if this is actually going to happen.

• Members

If it happens, two things ...

1) I don't want it too. The Sugdens and the people that represent them should either own The Woolpack or the Farm. It just doesn't seem right otherwise.

2) If they are, they should give the Pub to TERRY! Maybe Terry and Bob can co-own it?

• Members

That makes sense. And that's what Home Farm is missing; it's one of the reasons why the Kings didn't work. But don't get me wrong, I like them, all of them, and I don't want to see any of them leave, just for them not live in Home Farm. So, you think Natasha won't be around for much longer, then?

So, I'm really unsure of what viewers/characters know, and where my knowledge fits into all of this. I've read about Charlie's secret, but on screen it's as if they're writing him as being a con man, out to steal Diane's money, but that's not it at all. I know Rodney knows, but I'm not sure if that's yet to air, or if the viewers know, and it's just the characters that don't know. Confused yet? :lol:

What does everyone think of these characters (I've yet to see them on screen): Leila, Faye, Ryan (who people seem to think is too backburnered); and does Scarlett ever do anything? When I watched, she seemed like a spare part, and I'm surprised she's still around, considering her mother left years ago. Actually, I'm surprised any of the Kings are still left, as well as Andy, Katie...

No matter how long one hasn't been watching, Shadrach never changes. I love that about his character. This story with Marlon is actually quite sad.

I loved when Nicola lamented about running her own business once, compared to being ordered about, now. She's quite good at the comedy stuff, but I do think she works best as a bitch. Has married/parent hood mellowed her out? I really hope not.

Does anyone else think Nikhil's secret is that he's a virgin? Or is that all too obvious?

• Members

Leyla, Faye and Ryan, to me, are great characters. Especially Leyla. Her and David are the second best couple on the show, next to Cain and Charity, IMO.

No, Scarlett really doesn't do much at all and I prefer it that way as the actress has these weird mannerisms that get on my nerves.

The Charlie story ... as of today ... the audience and all the characters know NOTHING of what's going on with him. That will change this week though.

The reason people think Natasha won't be around much longer is because the actress, Amanda Donohoe, doesn't usually stay in one place for very long and with Maisie on her way out ...

Why are you surprised Andy is still around? He is a Sugden after all. If the show were smart(er) they'd bring Robert back, and then expand on Robert's family so the Sugdens could be re-invigorated.

• Members

Amanda Donohoe tends to not stay in one place long and apparently she's dropped a hint she won't stay. I hope she does, as I think Natasha is a fab character, but I won't be surprised if she goes.

It's hard to figure out what would be best for Home Farm. Honestly I sometimes wonder if it might be time to make drastic changes there, because increasingly it has seemed like a place where someone just happens to live. The last time I remember any slight hint of opulence was with Zoe Tate, and even that was strained, but we at least sometimes saw her having fancy dinner parties, we saw her wandering the grounds. I wonder if they should cut it up into a block of flats and have various characters of different backgrounds living there.

No one on the show knows exactly what Charlie is doing. Rodney barely seems to be bothered and Diane thinks he's an angel while Doug thinks he's a demon. The story has gone back and forth but I think he's a conman. I know some have said they are sick of Diane's happy sappy routine but it doesn't really bother me, as Charlie honestly does seem to genuinely care about her and Victoria and she probably never thought she'd find love again.

Scarlett dates the adorable and sweet Adam Barton. She also works in the King office. That's about it.

I think the Kings who are still there are there because they were actually better off without the family around their necks. Carl never really fit into the family (no wonder he kept killing them...) and although it's a bit repetitive, he works well as the spoiled brat who is never completely happy and always has to have a new woman. Yet he also works well as Jimmy's brother. Jimmy meanwhile is a very fun and light character with occasional moments of seriousness. His devotion to "Nico" and to his little baby girl are very touching...sometimes sappy, but I think a soap needs that. I guess it must be odd for you because he was a lot different when you were watching wasn't he? I know he was looser with Kelly but before that he was a real ass.

Layla is fine. She was very shapeless as a character for most of her first five or six months in but the way she is now, kind of funny, trying to climb up the rungs but not taking herself too seriously, in a happy relationship with David, has worked for her.

Faye is just kind of there. She started off very interesting, as a quasi-stalker for Mark Wylde who turned out to be the wife who had mourned him for 25 years, and when she moved to the village, she had a very interesting potential relationship with Cain. All that was abruptly ended, perhaps due to Charity returning, and since then she's floundered somewhat. Her part in the Mark story became more and more superfluous even when he was still alive. Since he's gone missing (AKA killed) she has just been in a barely seen courtship with Jai Sharma. Apparently Kim Thompson has been taking classes so that's why Faye has barely been seen but I think they just don't know what to do with her.

Ryan started off with a lot of fanfare but for whatever reason that fizzled out and he has since spent six months or more as a very supporting character. I don't know why it happened, I get the feeling something backstage damaged a lot of the plans for the Wylde/Lamb storyline. I think the anti-chemistry between Ryan and Katie also took a toll, because it seemed like they were really building a triangle between Nathan, Ryan, and Katie, but now neither of them ever give her a second look. James Sutton is a good actor with the right material and he has a lot of charisma but they just seem lost.

I think Andy and Katie are probably still there because they have been there for so long, if that makes any sense? Katie is sort of the town bike, they have men give her a ride to help bring them into the show. She's also a friend to a lot of characters, they can just sit her down in the Woolpack and have her listen to someone. Andy I think is probably still there because he is one of the only Sugdens left and because he was at one time a popular character. He also has a lot of ties to Debbie and to the Dingles. They might see him as still being a potential draw and as a future character, and they are hoping fans will accept his very slow rehabilitation.

Emmerdale can be a frustrating/fascinating show because some stories are built very slowly and others go by in the blink of an eye. Some characters are painstakingly built up and others are just kind of thrown at the screen and then abandoned.

My guess is he was either abused as a child or abused in a past relationship.

So have you seen Eve yet? What do you think of her compared to the Eve who was on there when they ran over their headmistress?

• Members

Thanks Amello and Carl. All very helpful.

Amello: I guess I'm surprised to see Andy still around, simply b/c he is the last of the Sugdens, which makes him isolated. I know he's Sarah's father, and has that connection to the Dingles, but even so, on any other show he would be seen as dead wood.

Carl: Jimmy is totally different to what I remember him as, which is a bit jarring. I think that sappiness was always there, though - namely through his devotion to Sadie and Kelly - just hidden under all the jackass-ness. I liked Jimmy and Kelly. I also like Jimmy & Nicola, even though I would never have guessed them getting together, much less married.

I think I've see a couple of scenes with Eve. I hated her character before; all obnoxious and annoying, with no redeeming features. Now, I'm not sure what to think. She's not obnoxious any more, but I have to wonder about her place in the show, and if she's needed. Is she needed? I think I'm not going to like her...

Now Faye, is a character that I think looks like she could rule Home Farm. Does she have the background, though? A BIG no to your suggestion about turning the manor into flats! :o Emmerdale wouldn't be the same without the glamorous-ness that Home Farm brings to the show. Plus, it's the only Brit soap that can get away with having rich, big, characters.

I loved Zoe Tate, she was a favourite of mine. They need someone like that again; someone who can throw a grand party/ball; someone who can mix it up with the rich and the poor, and all those in between. That's what is missing with the Wyldes - that level of grandness and sophistication. I remember when the Tates threw that party, and Charity was revealed to be Zoe's secret lover. Good times.

I like that Katie is friends with many. Sometimes that kind of character is rare.

So, you think Nikhil was abused. Interesting... that hadn't crossed my mind. Why do you think this? Has there been clues?

Edited by Ben

• Members

I did forget about Victoria. Doh! I even saw her in a scene the other day with Diane, and it still didn't click that she's Andy's adopted sister. OK, that strengthens his ties a bit. Does Andy and Victoria share scenes much, or is she only with Diane? Oh, and where is she off to now? France for the summer? Or for ever? Why doesn't the show use her more? Is it b/c the actor is at school on real life?

• Members

The show doesn't use her more because ... I have no freaking idea and it pisses me off. The actress is wonderful and SHOULD be the next big heroine of the show. Le sigh.

She does share scenes with Andy every once and awhile. They get on really well. Andy lives with Ryan Lamb and Rhona Goskirk.

Victoria is off to Spain to visit her and Andy's grandmother, Annie Sugden. I don't know for how long, but it's NOT permanent.

Edited by Amello

• Members

Well it was good to see Aaron back.

Geez this addicts storyline I truely wish they do it with another character or actress. I cant stand this chick playing Holly. She is just awful and chews up all her scenes.

Aaron You STupid Cow...even though he changed sexuality his personality still the same. LOL

Edited by anita30

• Members

No clues about Nikhil, just the vibe I get from him -- he's confident and driven but underneath very scared, and haunted. But that's just me assuming. Some others are saying they've pretty much heard

You're right that Faye would probably fit in well running Home Farm. She has that air about her.

Sometimes I wonder if they should just have a real old school aristocrat take over Home Farm. They haven't had any of those in over 30 years. Everyone who has lived in there has been self-made haven't they? I guess the exception was Lady Tara Oakwell but she wasn't around long was she?