EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Today's episode:

Who knew Connor was hiding a nice body underneath all those clothes?

Carol looks so cut up and distraught. You can understand how she slept with Connor, as he was there to console her as she was about to commit suicide. Lindsey Coulson was amazing once again.

Sad to see Alan and especially Blossom going. I just love Blossom.

Lauren was downright disrespectful to Dot, with all that loud music and talking back to her. I loved when Max told her again that not everything is about her. But it's good that Lauren got Max to open up about Bradley and how on a day like this, he should be thinking about him. It's also a convenient way for Lauren to find out about Stacey killing Bradley, which I'm sure will happen since Max revealed to her that Bradley didn't do it. Though, I guess since Lauren and Bradley weren't that close, it might take away from some of the impact and this probably should have been done a few months ago, but the part wasn't recast yet. There's something up with Lauren though, she seems to have a really self-destructive personality.

They managed to touch on how lonely Dot is and how she loses people in her life in a subtle way, like those sweet little scenes with her and Jim.

You know they're setting up Stacey exit when we had that scene when she was walking out of the Slater house with Lily saying that they'd be "happily ever after." Yeah, right. It's been nice seeing Stacey more like her pre-Bradley self these days though. The stuff with Kat, Alfie, Jean, and Stacey was funny with Jean's crap food and Kat's take on her "Sausage Surprise!" line.

Tanya definitely still has it for Max. Well, at least they tried to explain why Tanya couldn't bring herself to go to Bradley's funeral.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Today's episode was gripping from start to end. With the exception of the Slaters and the Golds, just about everyone was gripping with the death of someone close to them, be it Bradley or Billie.

Lindsey Coulson was simply brilliant today, it will be a crime if she does not receive an award of sorts for her scenes dealing with Billie's death.

I have to add though, Jake Wood has also been spot on as Max, playing a father still grieving for his son after all these months. I could really feel his pain and conflict in Max's scenes today.

I'm interested in seeing how Lauren's self-destructing nature emerges in the future, and how that persona, along with Abby's clingy/obsessiveness, gives the Branning's headaches for years to come.

The Dot and Jim scene was both eerie and a well written touch to today's episode.

• Members

Apparently, Peggy finding out about Frank and Pat's affair and exposing his Dear John letter to her about running off with Pat was 10 years ago today...

Frank would exit for good a few episodes later, leaving Pat, Peggy, and Janine abandoned (his stints in 2002, 2003, and 2005 weren't on a permanent basis).

Funny to note, Frank left Peggy in debt when he left in 2000, which forced her to sell the Vic, which of course ushered in Sharon's 2001 return a few months later.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-W6bW_ISMk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-W6bW_ISMk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-W6bW_ISMk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

Someone mentioned that in a 1990 episode, Pat and Frank were discussing Janine stabbing a girl with a pencil in school...

Janine always seemed like a troubled child. Though, it wasn't until Charlie Brooks was cast did they really develop her self-destructive nature. John Yorke and Louise Berridge did a lot of work to establish Janine as a troubled young adult.

• Members

Today's episode:

I kind of felt sorry for Janine when she realized that Ryan was lying to her and he went with Stacey to change Lily's birth certificate on Janine's birthday. Though, by the end of the episode and knowing what she's going to do, she's completely nuts. But it's in her nature to react completely over the top and nonsensical to a situation like this.

Ryan's ass was nice...

The Pat and Janine scenes were very good too. Especially how Pat told her how she shuts out people who do nice things for her, and then when she opened up to Pat at the Argy Bargy.

The Bianca and Carol scenes about Carol's attempted suicide were very well-done. It seems like Bianca is becoming more a mother to Carol than Carol is to her

I had to laugh at Jay trying it on with Lauren, she couldn't have looked any more disinterested.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Ah yes, Glenda and Carol, I think I might like this friendship.

Psh, Jay is too boring to be potentially paired with Lauren, unless her self-destructive tendencies leads to him being killed off, then I would be all for such a pairing.

I love how there is a gathering amongst the characters almost every week; there's always some reason for most of the cast to interact. It makes the show more light and gives it much more heart. I don't see how anyone could label EE depressing or dark, I think it's well balanced between the dark and humor.

A sign that Stacey is returning to her old self: mentioning the fact that she bought new shoes when Alfie stated that the opening of the Vic was to be delayed. :lol: I'm going to miss Lacey Turner.

Bianca as a character has matured quite a bit, that is something I like. As a viewer who's not familiar with the Bianca/Ricky pairing, I don't get why they're such a big deal. (Caught a glimpse of their return promo from 2009.) Bianca I like, Ricky seems like an brain dead tool to me, who's only reason for existing on the canvas is to remind us viewers that Janine is a living breathing human being.

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

Ricky has never been an interesting character on his own, his 2002-2004 stint under Louise Berridge proved that.

Ricky has always been dominated and overshadowed by stronger women in his life, whether it's Bianca or Sam, or Natalie, or Janine.

But to his credit, he is the epitome of the everyday working-class guy, who may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but loves his family.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I always enjoyed Ricky and Natalie. I always felt like Natalie was the only woman that ever had an ounce of respect for Ricky, which I don't easily buy with Bianca and Sam.

In fact, I always loved Natalie/Lucy Speed. But she's also another person who hates Janine for life regarding the Barry situation. :lol:

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Patsy Palmer is also not fond of the Ricky/Bianca relationship. I think Bianca is lucky to have Ricky because she's a very difficult character to write for.

I think Ricky is an important part of the fabric of Walford. He's just a regular guy. He has a laugh. He has a drink at the pub. He worries about people. He isn't very bright, but he tries his best.

This is the type of character soaps tend to be ashamed of and write off as boring. You tend to either have pond scum, or complete idiot clowns, like the hack job done on poor Garry in his last 3-4 years.

• Members

Today's episode:

Janine is insane, but somehow, I kind of feel sorry for her. Ryan has been treating her as a spare part since Stacey allowed him to see Lily. That was a good cliffhanger, but you know they won't die...

I had to laugh at the expression on Janine's face when Pat told her that a pair of stockings used to turn Frank on. :lol:

Speaking of Pat, I was very pleasantly surprised to see her stopping by Carol and Glenda's to comfort Carol. That was funny with them singing along to Neil Diamond. Pat admitted though she and Carol aren't close, she still wants to reach out to her and be there for her. Those two have come a long way in their relationship with one another.

Gotta laugh at how Lauren dismissed Jay and then Max slamming him into the wall.

I guess Julie stole Stacey's shows because she's poor and wanted to wear them to Ronnie's wedding, as Billy had just asked her to go with him as his date.

This will probably be the last time we see that many people in the Slater house again.:( I wonder what's going to happen with that house when Stacey, Charlie, and Jean leave. Kat and Alfie will be at the Vic, and I'm sure Big Mo will probably move in with them.