Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

The only ones I heard some fans get upset about when their firings were announced were Jacqui's boyfriend Des, and also Dave.

Who was the first character she actually created? I guess it was the Hollyoaks Later group...who was the first on the main show itself?

I know Hollyoaks has always had a rep for casting only on looks and not talent but I think over the years they did a decent job of finding talent, but the past year has had some awful hires. 30 year old looking Duncan, who is supposed to be 16. Send him to Walford. And the "oops I crapped my pants" girl. Amy's new boyfriend is stunning but his acting is shocking, and when he assumed Ste and Josh were gay, all I kept thinking was that he seemed the most gay.

What has happened to Josh's hair, I think birds are nesting in there.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Marquess: 'Oaks has become too dark'

New Hollyoaks producer Paul Marquess has plans to lighten up the show after admitting that it has become "too dark".

Marquess, who was hired by production house Lime Pictures to rejuvenate the Channel 4 teen serial, took office at the soap's home in Liverpool at the beginning of the year.

Since his arrival, he has made numerous key changes to the programme's cast and core creative team.

Speaking of his decisions, Marquess told Radio Times: "I never do anything unless it needs doing. I was asked to look at Hollyoaks first as a viewer and I thought it had become a bit dark. Hollyoaks can do serious stories but it always has to remember it's Hollyoaks - and that means being lively, bright and entertaining. From now until Christmas, expect a big injection of fun."

Earlier this week, Marquess unveiled his first hoard of new signings, including former Bill actress Kim Tiddy (Heidi Costello) and ex-Footballers' Wives star Phina Oruche (Gabby Sharpe).

He continued: "I'm bringing in glitz with the Sharpes and they'll be followed by their nemesis, a wannabe glamour model with no boundaries. People are still obsessed with Katie Price and I want to explore that obsession."

• Members

Marquess is calling it dark? This was the guy who had mass slaughter on all his shows, and stories about child molestation and abuse. It must have been bad. :ph34r:

I actually think Lucy Allan made an effort to have comedy and fun, it's just that her comedy was very shallow, like everything she did.

It was Kirkwood's last year which was too dark.

• Members

(Sorry to go off topic but I felt I had to answer this)

You're thinking of the local content quota laws which were first introduced in 1989 (several years after Neighbours was axed and then brought back). Since 1996 (between 1989 and 1996 it was 35%) 55% of programs broadcast on Australian commercial free to air TV between 6am and Midnight have to be Australian or New Zealand made (Australian court ruling in 1996 said that NZ programs could be counted as locally made because of the Closer Economic Relations treaty but understandably the Australian TV industry kicked up a massive stink about it and as a result there is I believe a gentleman's agreement amongst the networks not to count NZ programming).

The quota especially benefits Neighbours because Network Ten would have to find a replacement for it and so far Network Ten's attempts to launch other soaps have failed (Echo Point, Breakers etc).

Anyways, back to Hollyoaks...

• Members

I think Marquess will make the show more campy in the dramatic sense. Which I guess, can work on a show like Hollyoaks. But there also seems to be a generational aspect with the new families, so I guess he'll attempt to infuse more heart into the show. He should really like a quirky family like the McQueen's. in addition to his new families.

• Members

I guess this is the article where Marquess talks about Frankie and Jack, and where he thinks Bryan Kirkwood will be a success at EastEnders and how his appointment there is a stepping stone for a bigger career at the BBC.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a214458/oaks-boss-has-high-hopes-for-kirkwood.html

I guess Marquess started watching during the time where Anita was faking anorexia and where Hannah relapsed, and where Mercedes had her HIV scare, so that may be why he thought Allan's show was too "dark."

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner