Days: Week Of May 26

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nah, that's AMC's game. :rolleyes: The stuff airing now, I believe, is Dena and Victor's breakdowns. And you're right. It would be script writers, except MAJOR scene sequences like Marlena defending EJ one day and ripping him apart the next is a breakdown issue, not a script issue.

• Members

I have a question though, how were soaps so good in the 70's and early 80's when the breakdown position didn't exist? I remember reading that Harding LeMay had 4 writers on his staff when AW expanded to 90 minutes. Even though ratings fell, the quality was still consistent. These days writing staffs are beyond bloated, yet consistency doesn't exist, even with someone writing breakdowns.

• Members

Days of Our Lives is fine for me just like it currently is. Its basically gone from being one of the worst to being the best soap opera on the air right now in a little over a year. I find some of these remarks to be ludicrous. I think alot of you are letting your personal dislike of Dena really cloud your judgment of the show. Too bad :( .

• Members

I don't think that's it, Jay. I liked a lot of Dena's stuff on OLTL. I just feel like there's no direction on the show, and there's no anticipation or build-up (like Toups said). I have no idea who I'm rooting for anymore. It's just a lot of filler, moments disguised as storylines, but they're just moments that go nowhere. And the continuity is really a mess. Nick's a Daniel fan? Really? And Marlena's all over the place, with no clear through-line. Nick and Marlena aren't exactly opinions - they're facts.

I'm still watching, and I'm trying. But there's just not a lot there to get me excited. And it truly isn't Dena (at least in my case).

• Administrator

That's not my style. If Dena all of sudden starts to write stories that I'm enjoying, I'll say so. But right now I have almost nothing to look forward to. The only thing that I like right now is Baby Johnson's illness.

I don't like like her couples: Dan/Chelsea, Stephanie/Max, EJ/Sami. I don't like John and Marlena's story. Tony/Anna are pointless - they're on like what 4 episodes a month? They have no story. John vs Philip which I thought would be interesting, but it's not. Philip/Chloe? Why are they together? What's the point? What about Philip/Mogan's flirting/fighting? What's Ava doing now that she's all nice? Bo/Hope have no story.

I'm not seeing anything build up and something happening that affects multiple storylines.

And it's not like Dena hasn't had any time to set anything up - she's been there since the strike (allegedly of course). ;)

Please tell me what is there to look forward to (and I'm not talking about spoilers) and what I can antipicipate.

I'm going to use OLTL as an example of build up and anticipation (stuff that hasn't happened yet):

- Rex finding out Charlie isn't his father

- Shane finding out Brody isn't his father

- Shane finding out Rex is his father

- everyone finding out Jared isn't a Buchanan

- Will David find out he's the real Buchanan heir?

- Todd finding out about Starr's pregnancy

- Who is the person living with Ramsey?

- Ramsey being set up by John/Talia/Antonio

- Who was trying to taking down BE Enterprises?

We can look forward to these in the next couple weeks/months down the road.

And we already saw a lot of things that were build up and what fans anticipated in the last 3 weeks.

• Members

For the most part, these ARE the scabs.

It happens time and time again: when a new head writer comes on, they bring the old head writer's stories to a finish. So for about six weeks, it's non-stop excitement and plot movement. It happens at EVERY SOAP (and is sorta happening now at OLTL, even though Ron was there before - this is him finishing up Gary's stuff).

It ALWAYS makes for good TV. Doesn't make them good writers, it just means stuff is happening and you can't miss a day (from our perspective).

It's one of the basic rule of writing team transitions. Happens all the time. But don't mistake extremely fast plot movement for good writing.

• Members

i am honestly loving days for the first time since around sami/austin's vegas wedding.

i love the angst between daniel/chelsea. i love the ejsamiucs triangle now that they are being written the way they should and have layers. i love jawn. i am loving everything with philip.

its not perfect - steve and kayla are still here. marlena is back to only being an extension of jawn.

but overall THIS is the best days has been in years.

• Members

It's boring to me. I feel like my intellegence is being disrespected from the low-grade storytelling. Most of the characters are becoming unrecognizable.

Higley has her favorites (Sami, Lucas, Bo and Hope) that she can write wonders for, but she has no idea how to write for a large portion of the cast (John, Marlena, Abe, Lexie, Chloe, Nicole, EJ, Chelsea, Nick).

Archived