AMC/ATWT: Another Candid Cady McClain Interview

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's nice to see someone addressing the horrible and very sexist writing for women on ATWT. There is not one character with a storyline who is a positive portrayal of a female. They are all crazy, whores or desperately losing themselves to cling to a man. Of course the men are all our great saviors which just makes me hate all of them.

Was Passanante's writing this sexist on AMC?

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jan 5 2008, 01:36 AM)
Was Passanante's writing this sexist on AMC?

Well, she did write 2 woman turning psychotic over men -- Leslie Coulson for Tad; Laura for Leo -- but she also wrote a male character called “Dog Boy” who lived in a cage and ate dog treats. So, unlike Megan "Men are Kings" McTavish, Jean is equal opportunity (at least when she was on AMC).

• Members

And don't forget, it was the bastard black child of Anna Devane's father that was raised in a cage and called Dog Boy. That always rubbed me the wrong way (to say the least).

But I agree, even though Pissanante sucks ass as a writer (incredibly unbalanced and extremely disjointed), she pales in comparison to McTavish. Megan McTavish is possibly the most misogynistic FEMALE head writer out there. She dumbs down, victimizes and RAPES female characters for sport. Rumor has it, when she was at General Hospital, she wanted to have Sonny Corinthos's bodyguard, Johnny, RAPE Alexis Davis, Sonny's attorney (who McTavish dumbed down into Duh-Lexis during her run), but Maurice Benard (Sonny) and Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis) stood up for Scott Egan (Johnny) and refused to play that. That's what I heard, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, since as I said, McTavish will rape any woman she can. And if she's not raping women, she creating extremely oversexualized sluts and holding them up as good characters.

Nah. Jean Passanante just doesn't know how to get her head out of her Ass-anante.

• Members

I wonder what kind of story ATWT promised to Cady to get her to come back. If they promised her something else, shame on them, but if she didn't ask, shame on her.

I dunno, I just don't take what she says at face value. It seems to me like she's kind of difficult to have around the set. I have the same feeling about Victoria Rowell.

• Members

Victoria Rowell, to me, seems kind of...unhinged? Cady seems to have a firm head on her shoulders, she just strikes me as someone who is brutally honest and makes her thoughts known to PTB. In that way, she doesn't strike me as that different from the outspoken likes of people like Thorsten Kaye. Cady also seems to have gotten along with her co-stars.

• Members

I have to say that most of McTavish's rape stories prove to be very well written and show the woman coming out of it as stronger and powerful (AMC-Gloria, Julia, Kendall being a product of Erica's rape, Bianca)...the problem is she writes rape storylines too often! I am all for a gripping story that will showcase a woman bearing through it all and coming out as a survivor but that can always be done without violence (think Cindy and Stone battling AIDS on AMC and GH).

• Members

I believe it was the mutual understanding between Cady and TPTB that she would come back as a part of the quad: Rosanna/Craig/Paul/Meg. Because of the negative reaction of the fans to the quad since her return, TPTB decided to perform major surgery on the original projection of the story that requires the premature exit of Cady from the show.

Archived