CBS Daytime Free Fall

• Members

This whole "If Y&R falls then the rest falls" theory isn't a 100% fact nor will it ever be. I certainly don't see this relationship occuring every single week.

Y&R comes DEAD LAST where I live. So if someone wants to watch it they don't need to watch the other 3 soaps. Especially B&B which comes first here. I know a typical day for me is "skip B&B, try to watch ATWT, must watch GH, and then must watch Y&R.

I think all soaps are doing "bad" because of their own fans opinions about the show which are completely seperate from how they feel about Y&R. I mean it kinda sounds ridiculous. Because someone chooses not to watch Y&R they'll all of sudden decide not to watch ANY of the CBS soaps? Thats assuming that Y&R comes first whereever they live.

And I just have a question. How do you guys look at ratings? Like do you equate HIGH ratings on a certain day to mean that THAT DAY was excellent? Or does it mean that the DAY BEFORE was excellent and made more viewers want to turn in? I've heard both cases in the ratings threads and several people seem to use both arguments when it suits them to make it seem like their show is either great or bad depending on what was shown the day before or the exact day.

So which is it?

It just sounds a lil crazy to me. I don't judge the tastiness of an orange based on the experience I had tasting an apple.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree Liason Agent :)

I do think it's all the emmy glitter, I swear I remember reading something somewhere, that Ellen Wheeler thinks GL is great, so that show wouldn't get changes if they needed them, if someone like that who's in charge thinks the show is great, not much will be done to fix what needs fixed

• Members

Shhhh! Be a good little "apple". :rolleyes:

The fact is that Y&R is the flagship show of CBS entire Daytime lineup & Daytime as a whole ever since it ascended to Number One. And just like it will be GREATLY effected by the success (or failure) of TPIR, it will have similar effects itself on it's Daytime peers via The Trickle Down Theory.

• Members

As much as I hate to defend incompetence, to be fair, CBS owns none of their shows. Therefore, Barbara Bloom doesn't have the same authority over the lineup as, say, Brian Frons does.

Any changes to ATWT/GL should be taken up with PGP, and something tells me that they really haven't had the same amount of involvement since Mary Alice Dwyer Dobbin quit or was fired.

Likewise, Y&R and B&B should turn to Sony and Bell Company. At least with Y&R, the Bell family and Sony, at least I think, will make a move when their treasured #1 show gets too far down the gutter.

• Members

The thing with Y&R though is that it is not much worse Ratings wise now than it was when Alden was let go, she was at a 4.0 and so is LML. LML had gotten it back up to a 4.5 for a time but that did not last, and she needs to go as well, but I don't know if anyone can really fix the ratings problems, even primetime shows are not doing as well as they used to. But I do think changes need to be made by both PGP and Sony because like Dan pointed out Barbara really probably only has so much she can say about the situation. PGP owns GL and ATWT and it is more than obvious that they don't care about the shows. Like I said in another thread if they cared they would atleast give the shows enough money to make the show look like it had some quality to it, IE: Sets. Plus they would get rid of everyone in charge of both shows. As for Sony atleast they seem to give Y&R and B&B enough money to make the shows look like they still have money and sets, sure LML sucks but atelast the shows have money. PGP just does not care. From what I read Days is about to improve quility wise, so I guess that means that Sony is going to help them out as well, which is good, I wish PGP would help ATWT and GL, maybe just maybe if they had some money to work with the show might be better, plus maybe we could see some of the characters we grew up with instead of all newbies all the time.

• Members

Let's not forget the sets, lighting, and the camerawork...at least on Y&R.

The camerawork and direction looks so rushed on Y&R in comparison to even a year ago, when Lethal first took over. I was watching Y&R the other day and Nick/Phyllis' house looked like an ABC soap, washed out by harsh lighting in all the wrong places.

• Members

I am saddend by the fact that the ratings for CBS and all of daytime are falling, however in comparisson to how much of the network space is availible for a show during the time slots, I do not believe the soaps are in as critical state as some would believe, Remember when Port Charles was cancelled, it had ratings that are about the same as Guding Light, or ATWT turns now, they were low in comparrison with all the other soaps,and that was almost 8-9 years ago. So in comparrison with ALL soaps, no particular soap is doing severely bad or good, Y&R remains on the top for 1 reason, and I believe because it is on the earliest which is the lunch-time for ppl at work who may tune in. I believe that since 2000 cable/satelite channels has severley affected ratings for ALL shows across the board, it's not just the BIG 3 Networks anymore, however, I do believe that the writing/mgmt for daytime as a whole needs revamped.

• Members

Great post bellcurve!

The lighting's so harsh it makes no sense & the sets look like they're made of cardboard. Then there's the generic 'rock' music LML feels the need to blare any time 'dramatic' scenes happen. Y&R has fallen so far so fast qualitywise it's ridiculous.

• Members

We've all made numerous posts about how LML and her band of hacks have decimated Y&R. Production values have hit the toilet. It's terrible and pathetic and really, lighting changes don't affect the budget one little bit. To argue otherwise is nonsense.

I do NOT think that CBS Daytime is suffering because of Barbara Bloom. As other posters have pointed out none of the shows are owned by CBS so they don't really have that much control of them. CBS can whine and moan and threaten all they like but shows like B&B and Y&R (which are still big money makers, don't let anyone fool you otherwise) can laugh all the way to the bank as far as CBS is concerned because these shows KNOW that CBS won't do anything to them, they were each given 5 year contract extensions by CBS because CBS can't afford to do business without them. ATWT and GL, on the other hand, likely follow CBS directives because they don't want to become inconveniences that Les Moonves has to deal with and considering that their broadcast deals are 1-2 seasons a piece they know they're treading on thin ice.

Archived