Tyler Perry's House of Payne

aMLCproduction

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Never, but I'd love to see the plays. Oh, I've ALWAYS wanted to go to those kinds of plays. You know, the ones that are titled things like, "Don't take Mama to church until she confesses that she done stole that recipe" or something like that. I don't know how you classify those plays, usually spiritually themed, loud and larger than life. But I LOVE the ads for them on TV.

• Members

JER, all of Tyler Perry's "Madea" plays are available at Amazon and places like Target or Best Buy. The can probably find them all in a box set under $30. I only got into them a few years ago when my mom went to one of his plays here at the"Kodak Theatre" and raved about it. My favorite is "Madea Goes to Jail". "Meet the Browns" is good also.

btw for those who have missed the show and can't download them if you have Time Warner Cable you can watch all the episodes in the "On Demand".

• Members

I'm all for his message episodes and educating audiences--trust me. I just find his style in general--be it Diary, or this show, facile, black and white (in terms of very few layers to the storytelling or characters) and for some reason (and I said this is JUST me and I have norfair justification) kinda offensive. I volunteer a good chunk of my time for a community counselling center and know that many of the issues he deals with are important and I appreciate that he does seem to be speaking directly and getting thru to his intended audience. I know part of it is my biase about the man after reading some very one sided, I admit, thoughts about his take on homosexuality in the black church even though from all I've read and seen he is gay (and of course is most famous for playing a drag grandmother) but I think I'm also open enough to try to see things with an open mind--I just don't think it's a very well written show and I find its messages as hamfisted as a Saved by the Bell special episode...

• Members

Very true indeed. He does not give his characters layers at all. I knew he was Gay. My sister keep telling me he aint. It's written all over his face. A lot of the plays are VERY REPITIOUS AND so BLACK AND WHITE. The cheating woman or man. The tamberoine player. The characters talking funny and sound alike, i.e. Madea, Mr Brown both. The fat people jokes( its in all his productions)

• Members

That's exactly it--it seems like his writing is very facile and "easy"--like you say the fat people jokes, the villain, etc--in many ways it's a modern equivalent to the old fashioned "boo hiss" melodramas that were so successful in the 1800s. Nothing wrong witrh that--it's a formula that works. it's just not my thing

Archived