• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I thought TC said she had special exemption but hadn't used it. I am surprised she wouldn't use it here. I wonder if she asked for a wild card and didn't get it? I think her ranking was in the top 50 when she got injured. 

• Members

Alexander Zverev gets a qualifier in the first round. He has brought on Ivan Lendl to sort out his Grand Slam form and he should know all about fellow Czech Jiri Vesely, who might play him in the second round.

Marin Cilic is the potential quarter-final opponent, which would be a terrific match-up.

NOW we're drawing. Andy Murray gets a softish first round in James Duckworth of Australia and then will either place Fernando Verdasco or Feliciano Lopez.

With Juan Martin del Potro potentially waiting the third, any slim hopes of the Brit making the second round have probably gone.

The tie of the round is out and once again Grigor Dimitrov has drawn Stan Wawrinka. Ouch.

Djokovic is out on the board. He’s got Martin Fucsovics than either Viktor Troicki and Tennys Sandgren.

His potential quarter-final opponent? Mr Roger Federer, assuming he comes through to that stage.

To do so, he might play the enigmatic Nick Kyrgios in the third round.

Federer will play Yoshihito Nishioka and then either Benoit Paire or a qualifier in the second round.

Roger is toast....LOL

Murray vs Del Po third round.....

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/draws/index.html?event=MS

The draw still isn't complete yet....Roger has a horrible draw....LOL

• Members

I got a chance to go to the USO qualies today. I saw parts of...

Altamirano/Karlovic (Ivo’s serve was very off, and if there’s a rally, point to the opponent. But dude is enormous. The American kid has a decent serve, but Ivo’s poor returning made it appear to be more of a weapon that it probably was.)

Escobedo/Polmans (This was in Armstrong. I left after the first set, which Polmans firmly controlled.)

Sonego/Clezar (a pretty tight match...Clezar seemed irritated, and the 5-5 game I think lasted 20 minutes, because I’d left to charge my phone 30 percent, and it was the same score when I returned. Sonego kind of reminds me of a thinner Kokkinakis physically. Matteo Berrettini was in Sonego’s cheering section, and that dude is beautiful.)

Estrella Burgos/Fratangelo (VEB was in top form and is really gorgeous in person)

Ruud/Purcell (another tight one, but Ruud was just more clutch. Purcell impressed me, though.)

Maden/Kokkinakis (I only got to see the end of that. Was surprised to see Thanasi go out like that.)

FAA/Eubanks (my goodness is Felix steady. Eubanks kept going up a break, but Felix would just pummel him, and Eubanks finally capitulated in the second set. More experienced players would have made FAA pay for some loose play, but I totally agree that he’ll be a force if he stays healthy)

Krueger/Kwiatkowski (The final match of the day. Mitchell sinply outlasted Thai-Son, who held firm for a while but wilted under pressure. Thai-Son’s a looker, though.)

Bouchard/Gorgodze (the only women’s match I saw. When I got there, Bouchard was up 5-1 but was having a LOT of trouble closing out the first set. The other girl had to be dire to lose that badly.)

Otherwise, I saw Tracy Austin grinning and looking like a big white flashlight while taking selfies with fans. And Verdasco was practicing shirtless (naturally) opposite little Diego Schwartzman, who is as tiny as he looks on TV.

No photos (not really my thing), but I was glad to do this for once, since it’s free and a good opportunity to see decent tennis. Highly recommended if you’re in the city the week before the main draw.