The Tennis Thread

• Members

LOL, y'all are cold. But funny.

I was reading that Serena was asked in her post match press conference yesterday about the fact that her semi-final opponent would be Sharapova to which Serena replied something like '...I really enjoy playing Maria...' there was said to be chuckles from some present at the presser. Even on social media, someone replied 'I bet' then wrote LOL.

I think come this June/July it will be 10 years since Maria beat Serena at a Major (Wimbledon). I don't think she's beaten Serena since.

I fell asleep during that Nadal/Fognini match last night. Seems like Fognini gave up mid-way through that first set, then seemed to try a bit at the beginning of the 2nd before dumping it all. The crowd was very pro-Nadal and that may have gotten to Fognini but if it were a Davis Cup match in Spain he'd have much worse to deal with from the crowd so I don't understand his attitude.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well, all that I can say is that as long as she's healthy-- large deficit or small one, she finds a way to come back against MS. Some say that SW gets into MS' head but I also propose that it's in SW's head that she must not lose to MS! Ever!

Kei was always talented and capable of the win but I'm still surprised it happened last night, especially with Roger's recent run of confident wins.

I don't know what everyone else thinks but for me this year's Miami tournament, the Women's side has had the lionshare of the most memorable matches. Many of the most competitive matches that I've seen so far seem to be on the Women's side.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Judging from her comments, Chit, Serena absolutely loves this! Not just the oncourt dynamic but the amount of press their matches get, they hype, I'm sure it provides the fuel for that fire of intensity.

I always remember her comments to James Blake after James played that notorious match vs. Lleyton Hewitt where Hewitt made that nasty insinuation that a Black linesman made a call in James' favor based on color alone (in the era before Shotspot/Hawkeye) and although it incensed James, he still lost the match to Hewitt.

Serena stated in an interview that she talked to James about it and told him that if it were her, she'd make it a point never ever to lose a match to Hewitt again. She was so adamant that I immediately believed her and wished James had taken those words to heart for years afterward.

I think there's a strain of that sentiment that goes through all of Serena's matches vs. Maria, in particular. When Maria won Wimbledon in '04 supplanting Serena, Maria's laudatory lap, the seemingly dismissive handshake at the net seemed to be perceived as an apparent sign of disrespect. I choose to believe it wasn't intentional, Maria could've been so caught up in the moment, she was simply unconcerned with anything else happening around her, including her opponent, basking in the glow of winning. A lot of people around me, though, didn't see it that way. I watched Serena's body language during that trophy presentation and I think not only the loss, but the crowd's perceived adoration of the new champion seemed to sting her.

I think she carried that experience into her next series of matches for years. That Wimbledon experience may be a distant memory nearly a decade removed, but other incidents, words exchanged, perceived slights and criticism add fuel to the fire.

Of course, there is the talent and the fact that Serena has added more variety and strategy to her style of play, her game has only improved, she's gotten better and the result is an ever present sense of confidence --are all part of it as well.

The subtext of their matches is just fascinating though.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Rafael Nadal ESP 13490 - Miami SF - 13730 14130 2
Novak Djokovic SRB 11170 - Miami SF - 11410 11810 3
Stanislas Wawrinka SUI 5740 - - Lost in Miami R16 - - 4
Roger Federer SUI 5225 +1 - Lost in Miami QF - - 5
Tomas Berdych CZE 4720 +2 Miami SF - 4960 5360 6
David Ferrer ESP 4640 -2 - Lost in Miami R16 - - 7
Juan Martin Del Potro ARG 4260 +1 - - - - 8
Andy Murray GBR 3975 -2 - Lost in Miami QF - - 9
John Isner USA 2715 +1 - Lost in Miami R16 - - 10
Milos Raonic CAN 2710 +2 - Lost in Miami QF - - 11