What the hell is with these HW's who know nothing

• Members

In honesty, I've only heard 2 HW's say that they dont watch their respective shows: Dena Higley and LML. Now lets look at this, Dena- FIRED, LML- still employed. In closing, LML will be fired soon just like Higley. :lol: But on to my real point, this is crazy. Why would you want to write a show which you know nothing about. Sure, it gives you the oppurtunity to create characters and change characters the way you like them, but in reality, you're [!@#$%^&*] the characters up for those who love the show. LML said that she didnt watch Y&R and was looking forward to putting her spin on it (paraphrasing). Sometimes it's evident that the HW or someone writing hasn't been watching. What Head Writers and or writing teams could you tell, didn't watch the show?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im sure the lure of a steady paycheck is too much to give up. Id jump at the oppurtunity to write a show if the price is right. I think the issue is why is the NETWORK hiring HW who have never watched their show. They are the ones to blame, not the writer for taking the job

• Members

Yep. I kinda broke the "story" when I stumbled onto it in a GL: LITE podcast around this time last year. Knowing CBS/PGP, they probably removed it. But here's the exact quote and MB post.

"Yeah, I don't get a chance to watch everyday..but I DVR it and I at least fast-forward through, you know and watch what I need to watch. But I always watch the Wednesday shows and I certainly watch enough to keep up."

http://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/index.p...st&p=235149

As for Jay's post, I am still baffled why HW know nothing about their shows or just simply don't do the research. There's LOTS of good stuff to learn and mine from these shows. Even Brad Bell(who was with B&B under his father practically since day one) chooses to neglect B&B's history, which he's been there for.

• Members

I think you guys are being way too hard on Kriezman. Nobody should have to suffer through 5-days-a-week of GL without fast forwarding it. Even the idiot writing it! :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm just as baffled as you guys. Then when it doesn't work out (pretty much all the time), they refuse to do anything about it. It's like the Execs are afraid to admit they made a mistake so they're stubborn and keep these writers on. When soaps were popular they would immediately replace these writers, but now when soaps are dying, they have all the time in the world?!

I find it so insulting that Barbara Bloom would step in to get Ted Shackelford rehired, but she hasn't done anything for the other three CBS soaps! How could TS being fired be the biggest failure of Y&R?! I know there was the one week shutdown, but you can't have the same hack writers retooling their own stories! They needed to keep Ed Scott and give him the power back.

Unless you create the soap, I don't want anymore headwriters as EP's. The only one I'll keep is Brad Bell who is doing a good job from that angle.

Archived